Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Looking to purchase a Mic Pre (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=233568)

Scorpio253 12-15-2008 11:02 AM

Looking to purchase a Mic Pre

Hi all,
I'm looking to purchase a Mic Pre. Right now I'm using the Sterling Audio ST77 Microphone with just the Mbox (mini). I was wondering what would be a good "clean" sound with an extra "umph"? I'm not really looking to compress or EQ going "in", just something to clean my signal up with a warm "full" sound if possible.

Thanks in advance

jmitchell1532 12-15-2008 11:28 AM

Re: Looking to purchase a Mic Pre

Depending on your budget, there are many options. I've gotten decent results with the Presonus Mic Pre, which retails I think, for $120.00. And it's great when you use it with the Mini, because you get the extra XLR, so you can mic in stereo. It works especially well with acoustics.

Scorpio253 12-15-2008 11:38 AM

Thanks. My budget is 500-1,000.

Meta Maestro 12-15-2008 11:41 AM

Well if I were you, I'd go with the Xenus 230LS. It gives me a real bright sound. Hmm, your budget is about 1000? Take a ride to Guitar Center to pick up the Frotoscorn 3000LRA. Yeah, I would go with that.

Hope this helps.

JMS40 12-15-2008 11:46 AM

If you are near a Sam Ash, GC, or other well stocked store, take your mic and go sample a few pre's for yourself.
Choice of mic pre is a very subjective decision.

Scorpio253 12-15-2008 11:55 AM

Yea I'll try to make my way over there. I don't really have the time so if you have any ideas, please do tell. Thanks.

Scorpio253 12-15-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meta Maestro (Post 1315990)
Well if I were you, I'd go with the Xenus 230LS. It gives me a real bright sound. Hmm, your budget is about 1000? Take a ride to Guitar Center to pick up the Frotoscorn 3000LRA. Yeah, I would go with that.

Hope this helps.

Sorry that actually didn't help at all. I've never heard of any of those "pre amps". Are those foreign?

Keybeeetsss 12-15-2008 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpio253 (Post 1316008)
Sorry that actually didn't help at all. I've never heard of any of those "pre amps". Are those foreign?

:D

If i were u i'd definitely take that ride to ur nearest store b/c U can't really get a "FOR YOU" answer to a question like that on here... It's like asking what kinda food should I get with $10...Everybody's gonna point u to there fave food beit u got different nationalities, vegetarians, etc...Get my point?...

Obsidian Dragon 12-15-2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpio253 (Post 1315996)
Yea I'll try to make my way over there. I don't really have the time so if you have any ideas, please do tell. Thanks.

Before plunking down $500-$1000 on a mic pre, I do suggest you listen to it with your mic first. As others have pointed out, only you know what sound you are looking for. If time doesn't allow for that simple due diligence, I would wait until I had enough time.

Now having said that, I realize you are looking for suggestions so that you have some idea of what models to look for. I'm going to make a few suggestions but they may be a little over your budget at this time.

Here are three for give you the umph in vocals:

My favorite is the Universal Audio LA610. It give me the warmest sound for vocals, acoustic guitar and electric bass. I use it with my Neumann TLM103.

Another recommendation is the Avalon VP737SP. It has a similar sound for vocals, acoustic guitar, and electric bass but is a little brighter.

The Groove Tubes Vipre (and it's little brother the Supre) give a nice warm sound. This well rounded mic pre will work well with vocals as well as most acoustic instruments.

The next three are for clean and accurate (mostly uncolored) sounds.

I would suggest the Avalon Designs AD2022. Very clean and accurate for acoustic instruments. Don't expect this to warm up vocals however. This works great for pianos, strings, brass, and woodwind instruments.

For the ultimate classic sound you might consider the SSL XLogic Channel. It gives you the real SSL console circuit with all the same controls. It is pricy however but it is the real thing. I want one.

To get the sound of a Neve console, you can look into the Vintech X73. This no nonsense preamp sound good on just about everything. Don't be fooled by its simple electronic project box looks, Inside are high quality componenets designed to replicate the original Neve designs.

I've probably gone overboard on the price as you can see. We studio gear heads tend to get carried away when asked about mic pres. Again, go listen.

The Weed 12-15-2008 02:14 PM

For clean and clear and within budget, he could also listen to a Grace Design 101. Many others like the RNP/RNC combo.

Cheers,