Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Do some CD-R drives not read a certain type of disk? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=73846)

Calvin 05-01-2003 06:55 AM

Do some CD-R drives not read a certain type of disk?

Hello,

This is the first time that I have ever encountered this. Last night when I had a couple masters delivered to me for a compilation album that I am helping to put together, my computer couldn't read it. It had no problem with any other kind of disk, I could put in anything else, but the cd's I got from this mastering house I couldn't read. I couldn't even play them with win-amp or read the disk with any of my CD Ripping programs. Not wavelab, not CD Architec, not Audio grabber, not even the disk copy function would work in my cheapo cd burning software. I was pissed.

I thought ok, so he put some copyright protection on there, not a problem, I will just use my buddies dvd player and use the optical out on it to go into pro-tools to get a lossless copy. Well I came into work today, and my computer at work seems to read everything just fine. Last night after several restarts my computer still couldn't read it, even though I would put in a normal burned cd after that and that cd would work just fine.

So what I'm wondering is if there is a certain kind of cd that my Sony cd burner just won't read? Everything else seems to handle it just fine. I don't think it is copyright protection or why would any other computer be able to read this certain disk. oh man, maybe it's time for me to get a new burner.

crs117 05-01-2003 10:39 AM

Re: Do some CD-R drives not read a certain type of disk?

i would recommend trying to update the firmware. i have no idea why a mastering houses copy wouldnt run. i would think you could not get a much purer copy.

Go to the sony website, go to support, find your cdr drive and then look for firmware updates. The site should detail how to update the firmware as well.

Christian

Calvin 05-01-2003 01:46 PM

I'm not really so worried about the speed. I have never seen a burner that gets above 32x My sony burner that does 32x can't even get up higher than 27 x in the time that it takes to burn a whole cd.

Bob Legs 05-01-2003 08:44 PM

check out the yamaha crw-f1, best for burning audio cds, its a bit more $$ but worth it , it can also burn a watermark to the unburned portion of the disc for logos or whatever.

Cheers from Downunda

Calvin 05-02-2003 12:16 AM

Thats exactly what I thought. I did try to go to the sony website to check out if there were any updates but it just said that I needed to get that from my computer manufacturer. grrr... Oh well, maybe it's time for me to get a new burner. Who is it that is sapposed to make the best burners? Plextor?

crs117 05-02-2003 12:42 AM

I must say, i love asus. i have never had any problems with any asus produts i have ever bought.

That being said, I just ordered a new asus CD burner myself from Newegg. its a 52x24x52 burner, and from what i have read, its supposed to be able to read and backup/copy most anything. It cost 47.00 i think. I am not for piracy or copying, but if you have the option to buy a burner that will copy any disk, vs. one that wont, for the same price, why not get the one that does in case you ever need it. Many times i make mix CD's for my band (to learn songs) from CD's that i have, and its nice to not have to worry about downloading an mp3 (and likely a virus) to make the CDs.

The 2 complaints about this drive are its noisy, and you are supposed to push the open/close button to close the drive (its tough to push the drive closed from the tray). I figure when you are burning CD's (especially at 52x), who needs it quiet?

Christian

Calvin 05-02-2003 05:40 AM

I have seen those kind of burners that will burn marks into your disc, but I have heard that you can really only use that function with a certain type of disk that is kinda hard to find.