Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   windows xp services start/stop text file ? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=99324)

K.B. 03-08-2004 11:36 AM

Re: windows xp services start/stop text file ?

Bstaley,

Re: your start/stop text file:

I've used the 'Stop Services.bat' trick and it seems to be working out ok.

So, a quick question: do all the services stay off? or do any restart on boot up and the file needs running again?

I think the answer is no, but I'm just checking.

Or does anyone else know?

Thanks

ESR 03-08-2004 03:37 PM

Why don't just run "msconfig" command and disable services from there?

K.B. 03-08-2004 05:02 PM

The idea is to be able to switch them (or the ones you may want every now and then) on and off quickly. Going through msconfig several times is a pain.

ESR 03-08-2004 09:35 PM

Yep, that's right, but In my case that I have a dual boot system with XP and PT6.1.1 only, and ME with the rest of applications, I thinks is better to leave all unused services off. The problem I have is to know wich service to disable. In this kind of system with no internet, only PT and its plugins what do you suggest to disable??

Booyah 03-08-2004 10:09 PM

What you all need is a .vbs admin script to manualize and stop uneeded services for a standalone PT offline computer, I've seen some example service scripts before on the MSDN or technet site (cant remember which), I use a mmc profile for my XP service Tweaks cause im not too savvy with Visual Basic Scripting

Which services to disable is tricky and machine dependent, lets say you have a Printer driver that needs Spooler service running and you stop it then all of a sudden your printer is hosed and you have no clue, you get my point?

To know which services to disable, look at these sites:
the elder geek
and/or
black viper

K.B. 03-09-2004 05:17 AM

I too have a multiple boot up, details here (5 of them! The second is the most difficult to set up. Once you've done that the rest are a breeze).

But even on my PTLE one, there are things I completely shut down - like printing, and LAN - when I actually run PT at full throttle, but will switch back on because it's a pain to reboot (twice) just to retrieve a file via LAN from my other machine (which I use for the internet).

I found musicxp to be really helpful. I followed every bit of advice on that page, and got a noticeable increase in speed. There's a really excellent DUC thread by GothicV here too.

I had problems at one point, and it seemed to be to do with throwing out my prefetch files. So maybe just copy them to a folder somewhere else so you can put them back if you too get a problem.

And I'm still waiting for an answer to my question: <font color="darkblue"> do any of the services get switched back on when you reboot?

Just to be sure.

bstaley 03-09-2004 06:56 AM

The services will come back automatically if you reboot. The purpose of the "restart services.bat" is simply to avoid having to reboot. I hope this answered your question.

K.B. 03-09-2004 07:07 AM

Yes.

Thank you.

So I need to run Stop services.bat every time I reboot. Not a problem.

tele_player 03-09-2004 07:13 AM

I've never heard of prefetch files - where'd you see that?

Quote:

I had problems at one point, and it seemed to be to do with throwing out my prefetch files. So maybe just copy them to a folder somewhere else so you can put them back if you too get a problem.

K.B. 03-09-2004 07:43 AM

They are in the Prefetch directory in the Windows folder, and are used in XP memory management.

They're used to speed up disk i/o by anticipating commonly used data (I think!)

Also this folder houses a file called Layout.ini which is written to once every three days when XP performs a partial defragmentation and adjust the layout of the disk based upon current use.

Be nice if one could schedule this to take place when PT is not running.

Any comments anyone?