Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Audio device issues (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=422486)

rogerfiets 11-18-2022 02:10 PM

Audio device issues

I am using Pro Tools 2021.10 on Windows 11. I am trying to use an AAX app as a plug-in. When I use the app as a standalone, it recognizes my Focusrite 18i20. However, when I use it as a plug in in Pro Tools, the Focusrite does not show up. I've talked to the all developer, and nobody else has this problem. It sounds like there is some kind of conflict with Pro Tools, and some other device accessing the Focusrite. I've reset the properties so that the Focusrite does not have exclusive access. Is there a setting in Pro Tools (or on the Focusrite) that I can modify to get this to work?

The Weed 11-18-2022 04:02 PM

Re: Audio device issues

If ConnectionOpen's AAX plug-in is like Source-Connect's you route to the plug-in in Pro Tools and set the plug-in as the interface in ConnectionOpen.

Personally, I prefer using any of the remote recording apps standalone.

sw rec 11-18-2022 04:30 PM

Straight from Source Connect tech support, because it wouldn’t connect thru my Apollo 8 if ProTools was open:
“It’s a lovely interface, but Pro Tools and Windows don’t share well. Do you have a secondary interface?”
Yes. Pro Tools gets the Apollo, everything else goes thru a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. And it works every time.

rogerfiets 11-24-2022 09:21 AM

I was able to figure this out. It had to do with Windows allowing an application to take exclusive control of audio devices. Here are the steps I took:

Control Panel\Sound\Playback\

Right Click on the Output Device, Click Properties, Click on Advanced Tab, Uncheck "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device". Click Apply.

Control Panel\Sound\Recording\

Right Click on Input Device, Click Properties, Click on Advanced Tab, Uncheck "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device". Click Apply.

Click OK.

Bubbalou88 12-27-2022 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw rec (Post 2653656)
Straight from Source Connect tech support, because it wouldn’t connect thru my Apollo 8 if ProTools was open:
“It’s a lovely interface, but Pro Tools and Windows don’t share well. Do you have a secondary interface?”
Yes. Pro Tools gets the Apollo, everything else goes thru a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. And it works every time.

I found that out. I tried to install Avid link and MBox Studio on my Windows 11 computer. Would not run. I got frustrated after paying $899 for MBOX Studio. I had a separate 1 TB Samsung Solid State Drive on my computer. I formatted it and using a Windows 10 Pro disk I was no longer using and installed it on the 2nd drive. All installed and worked well including Pro Tools. Later Microsoft updates stated I could update to Windows 11 for free. Only after reading I had 10 days to revert back to Windows 10 if I did not like it I ran the upgrade. All still working so far. Either it did not like some things running on original Windows 11 or it just flat prefers a setup for the Avid recording software and hardware.

Bubbalou88 12-27-2022 03:59 PM

I got two JBL 305MKII Studio Monitors and connected them to the Main outputs of the MBOX Studio. All I got was low hum from the speakers and no audio out. I got a notification there were updates to MBOX Control and Pro Tools. I did this and it informed me I had to do a firmware update. Did that also but still the same. With this I decided (since I had 8 more days) to go back to Windows 10. Once done it is all working so I guess MBOX Studio does not like Windows 11 after all!

Bubbalou88 12-29-2022 04:31 PM

Added: The MBOX Studio was working with external music AND instument at the same time in Windows 10. The external input of music from the computer stopped but the Instrument input worked after Windows 11 was installed and did not change even after Installing the Update to MBOX Control 1.0.1 and updating Firmware. This in addition to the Main output not even playing the sound of the instrument (only low hum heard) is the reason for going back to Windows 10. All is working after returning to Windows 10.

EGS 01-02-2023 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbalou88 (Post 2656899)
... so I guess MBOX Studio does not like Windows 11 after all!

I doubt the Windows 11 update is what caused your problem; something else changed. Check Control Panels/Sound/Playback/Recording - and also - Settings/System/Sound/Output/Input & make sure your audio interface is NOT in use anywhere by Windows. Only Pro Tools should access your audio interface.

Bubbalou88 01-03-2023 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGS (Post 2657602)
I doubt the Windows 11 update is what caused your problem; something else changed. Check Control Panels/Sound/Playback/Recording - and also - Settings/System/Sound/Output/Input & make sure your audio interface is NOT in use anywhere by Windows. Only Pro Tools should access your audio interface.

That is correct. Someone else here told me they were running the MBOX Studio on Windows 11 with no issues so with that I upgraded one more time from 10 to 11. I did nothing, changed nothing but just did the upgrade and ALL is working very well. Have no idea what happened before unless there was something that got glitched. I posted about it in two places so as not to mislead anyone but guess I forgot about the post here.

EGS 01-04-2023 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbalou88 (Post 2657716)
That is correct. Someone else here told me they were running the MBOX Studio on Windows 11 with no issues so with that I upgraded one more time from 10 to 11. I did nothing, changed nothing but just did the upgrade and ALL is working very well. Have no idea what happened before unless there was something that got glitched. I posted about it in two places so as not to mislead anyone but guess I forgot about the post here.

cool!