Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Virtual Instruments (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=201560)

Dorian27 07-18-2007 08:15 AM

Virtual Instruments

I am looking for some good virtual instruments. I am specifically at the moment looking for piano. I was thinking about "Ivory" by synthology or Art Vista's "Virtual Grand Piano". Steinway Galaxy 5.1 looks nice too.

Is anyone out there using any of these with PT?

I do not have any other virtual instruments. Would I need any kind of engine to run these or is that included? Or is it not neccessary in a RTAS format?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

spkguitar 07-18-2007 09:17 AM

Re: Virtual Instruments

I use and recommend Ivory. It installs as a plugin and a standalone application and you don't need any other software to make it run.

You might want to consider storing the samples on a separate hard drive, though.

Both the Art Vista and the Steinway Galaxy rely on the Kontakt sample player (which is included with both products), but IMHO, the Kontakt player is a little "if-y" when it comes to Pro Tools.

Dorian27 07-18-2007 10:02 AM

Thank you Spkguitar I appreciate the info. I did like the "Ivory" clips that I heard.

When you suggest storing the audio sampled on a seperate hard drive, do you mean where PT is not stored, or where my songs are not stored, like on an external drive. Right now PT is on my C drive, My recordings are on the D drive, which I was going to move to an external as they become finished.

Thanks again

spkguitar 07-18-2007 10:18 AM

Quote:

do you mean where PT is not stored, or where my songs are not stored,

Both.

System drive = where programs reside; gets used by the operating system and other programs often.

Pro Tools sessions drive = used to store Pro Tools sessions. usually only used by Pro Tools to stream audio to and from the program

Samples Drive = to store sample libraries. Most modern samplers stream the audio from the drive on an as-needed basis. When using larger sample libraries (like Ivory), this requires heavy use of the drive. If the sample libraries are stored on the system drive, this may cause interference with the system or other programs' performance. If the libraries are stored on the session drive, the streaming may cause interruption in Pro Tools performance as it tries to stream audio tracks from the sessions from the drive.

You can store the sample libraries on the system drive; they will work fine there. But you will have better performance, and be able to set the sampler software (Ivory, BFD, and others) to a higher quality if you use a separate drive to store the samples that the sampler uses. The programs themselves get installed to the system drive, but the audio samples that they use to produce sound are stored on a separate drive. It can be an internal or external drive (firewire with the oxford 911 chipset recommended for externals).

Does that make sense?

cherryrecording 07-18-2007 10:53 AM

Another vote for Ivory. There is a good article comparing virtual pianos here.

Dorian27 07-19-2007 07:32 AM

Yes it does makes sense thank you. I was thinking of an external hard drive since I need to get one anyways.

Do sessions run as well on an external HD? I'm thinking I might just put the sample library on my D drive and start doing my sessions on an external (instead of having to move them over when I'm done.)

Dorian27 07-19-2007 08:06 PM

Someone recommended that I check out "Akoustic Piano" by Native Instruments. Also looks very nice. Has anyone had any experience with this program. Looks essentially like the Ivory.

spkguitar 07-19-2007 09:39 PM

The article that cherryrecording linked you to has an in depth comparison. They seem to favor Akoustik Piano over the Ivory, and they include audio samples.

Dorian27 07-23-2007 12:13 PM

I finally had the chance to read the entire article on virtual pianos. A great resource for anyone currently looking at virtual piano pakages.
Thank you much for that link cherry.