Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

IntelDoc 10-09-2003 07:27 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Mr. Cavell
Thanks man! I am still messin with that one! I did a lot of that in Acid for the initial work, then dropped it in Pro Tools and cut it all up more. Eventually will have guitars and some structure.... Trying to see what I want with it!

Thanks though as always...

P.S. I finally picked up a TLM-103. Check out the site. Been updated alot!!!

Later man,
Doc

Roy Howell 10-09-2003 11:13 PM

IntelDoc...I enjoyed it...interesting piece. I tell you, working with loops/samples is a little art form in itself...
thanks, Roy

IntelDoc 10-10-2003 06:32 AM

Thanks Roy. I tallied it up last night and have a little over 40 gigs of loops.... It is fun to work with, but damn if I have not heard all my sounds yet....
Some are good, some are worthless.... drag em into recycle and it opens all new doors...

Thanks, I will work with it this weekend and go from there...

-Doc

dbrunell 10-10-2003 11:00 AM

Posted this as a new, standalone post, but then I remembered Roy's thread for this purpose. So here we go:

I've been recording the blues band I'm in (San Diego-based West Of Memphis) at a few of our rehearsals, and one gig. I did some rough mixes and gave them to Tom, our guitar player, who is also doing our Web site. http://www.westofmemphis.com .. click on the 'Music' link to hear some of our material.

We recorded all tracks live- no overdubbing. All sessions were done at 48 KHz, 24-bit. For the rehearsal recordings I was using the 001; on the gig recording I used my new 002. In both situations, I set up 8 audio channels in Pro Tools as follows:

1. Kick drum -- no-name ball mic similar to an SM58, inside the drum a couple of inches from the beater head.

2. Snare -- Oktava MC-012, near the rim, pointing away from the high-hat

3 & 4. Drums O.H. Left and Right -- Oktava MC-012s in a coincident pair configuration (mics basically together, but angled 90 degrees apart). The pair was placed about three feet up from the cymbals, centered on the set.

5. Bass Guitar -- direct line input from my Crate BX-80 amp

6. Vocals - line input from our Mackie 808S P.A.. SM58 mics

7. Guitar amp -- SM57

8. Harmonica amp -- SM57. The amp is a tiny tube amp with a single speaker about 6" in diameter. The player likes that hard-edged, slightly distorted sound.. that is intentional!

Opinions on my mixes? Destructive criticisms? Pot-shots? Raves?

Notes: I was going for a live, loose, raw type of sound which matches our musical style. In "Rocket 88" I used a slap echo on the guitar and harmonica to give it a '50s sound. I think I might have been a little heavy-handed with the effect on this mix. On the gig recording, I think I let the record levels get a bit too high. I used compression on most individual tracks, and a small amount on the master fader channel. I also set up a D-Verb aux input.

Doug

Roy Howell 10-10-2003 11:16 AM

IntelDoc,
Man, I tell you, 'auditioning' sounds takes some work and time, doesn't it?

Roy Howell 10-10-2003 02:02 PM

Nulius...
Sounds really good, man...good band, good job...What do you do in the band, and where are you guys from?
Thanks, Roy

Nulius 10-10-2003 07:19 PM

Hey thanks a lot, Roy. If your talking about the second clip, I play guitar.

Nulius 10-10-2003 07:20 PM

Hey thanks a lot, Roy. If your talking about the second clip, I play guitar. We're from Warrensburg, MO. It's about 40 mi. east of Kansas City.

badperson 10-11-2003 07:30 AM

Quote:

No great musical achievement, just trying to get a decent overall sound from my 001. The mp3 squelced some of the air I had going before the conversion. Any comments would be fine...about anything...even my sloppy guitar. I laid down an acc gtr and a scratch vocal and a click. Everyting else was tracked after the fact. We did the into, one verse and a chorus. I edited the rest of the production...cut and paste...like I said, just trying to learn how it's done.

www.1ad-america.com/music/sanctified_living.mp3

msog - The Mighty Sons of God!

Hi,

I thought you got a really nice, natural sound from this recording. Nice guitars, nice vox, gave me the impression of being right there in the room.

Great job.

IntelDoc, nice job as always. keep it up.

bp

badperson 10-11-2003 07:32 AM

Oh, I've been meaning to ask this for a while,

DaBasstard, do you keep an updated playlist on your site? I thought it would be cool if maybe you and Roy kept a list going of things you liked, with maybe some commentary on techniques?

I know you have a lot to do, but I enjoy your work.

bp