Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   New User To Pro Tools MP8 Software looking for help (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=420698)

thescrewup 06-24-2022 12:15 PM

New User To Pro Tools MP8 Software looking for help

I purchased Pro-Tools M Powered 8 when it debuted some years ago. I was never able to get it to work because it wasn't compatible with the versions of windows I had at the time which I found out through many blue screens.

I set the box aside and somehow lost the first disk that had all the stuff on it. Years and years later while moving I found the disk placed inside a DVD case. I now have a computer that can finally run PTMP8.

I had purchased a Delta 1010LT at the time and I ended up selling it after years of never getting to use it.

So here we are in the future of 2022 and I'm curious what can I use with PTMP8 to interface with it?

My goal is to recording songs on it. I have keyboards and a microphone I plan on using.

I'm so out the loops I don't know where to start.

I don't know if there's an updated interface list or what?

My computer is a Windows 7 PC with just enough fire power to run this old program.

I know I'm way out the loop but hey I don't know nothing about the newer versions so ignorance is bliss. I want to get this thing fired up and live my life like it's 2010 again.

Top Jimmy 06-24-2022 03:39 PM

Re: New User To Pro Tools MP8 Software looking for help

There’s a list of compatible interfaces here. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ools-m-powered

Just understand that these and the software are quite long in the tooth. You’ll probably only find these interfaces on eBay and the software is no longer supported so you can’t expect updates for issues you might have.

albee1952 06-27-2022 04:03 PM

MP software is only going to work with M-Audio hardware, and older hardware at that(as like the ProFire2626, or FastTrack Pro). The FastTrack Pro is really a piece of junk, but the 2626 is a decent unit(and probably cheap on the used market). Disadvantage: these old boxes have old drivers that may be tough to find(and will not work with any newer OS) and the 2626 is firewire(which you may not have).

Next is the license; you have MP8 software, but do you have the iLok with the MP8 license? Without that, none of this is going to work at all.

Personally, if money is tight, I would try to update to a decent Windows 10 PC(a used HP EliteBook can be a great option), a new subscription to Pro Tools Artist($99/yr) and a new "budget" interface(maybe like the Behringer UMC202HD for $50-70 or Focusrite 212). I mention the HP because I have an Elitebook 8440P with i7, 8GB of RAM and a 500GB SSD that runs Pro Tools 12.5 quite well and it was under $200(I had to provide the OS and added the SSD). The only disadvantage is the smallish 14" screen, but it has VGA and displayport outputs to feed a bigger monitor:o Food for thought:D

Arpaul 03-06-2023 11:26 AM

Tons of good advice and experience on this forum. I have a couple of simple setups. I run MP 8.05 on a I-5 Dell desktop running windows 7 with a fasttrack ultra 8R. I also have a NRV-10 and a fast track pro. The 8R is very well behaved in windows 7, and unlike FireWire, you can write straight to the system drive. I still use the scoring software that comes with MP 8.05 all the time. I keep this setup because of many old files that I don’t want to lose. If you don’t have that requirement, then cut bait and run to a newer OS and interface. I spent way too much time debugging instead of writing and recording. I would go with a desktop over a laptop, JMHO. Good luck, if case you are still deciding what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk