Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Original Mbox on Windows 7 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=287655)

xeshaka 11-19-2010 12:43 PM

Original Mbox on Windows 7

I honestly searched and cannot find a clear answer on this. Maybe I'm just bad at searching.

I have the original Mbox that came with Protools 6.7. I purchased the upgrade to 7.4 a while ago. I used to use it on an older Macbook I had, but it's falling apart fast. My question is, how can I install Protools on my new Windows 7 system? When I try to run the install from the disc it says it is blocked due to compatibility issues. How can I upgrade Protools if I can't install it in the first place? Is there a way to download a newer version Protools LE from Avid's site? I can't seem to find any link.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

spkguitar 11-19-2010 12:52 PM

Re: Original Mbox on Windows 7

To work with Windows 7, you would need to purchase the upgrade to Pro Tools 8, and then upgrade to 8.0.4

Unfortunately, support for the original mbox ended with 8.0.1, so even more unfortunately, you are out of luck.

Sorry.

xeshaka 11-19-2010 12:58 PM

Ok, thanks for the quick response. I might try to install XP on my PC as a dual boot option. Or maybe I'll try to find a new mbox on ebay :/

xeshaka 11-19-2010 01:05 PM

Does the same apply for Windows Vista? I have a copy of Vista Home Premium.

sunburst79 11-19-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xeshaka (Post 1706580)

As long as its 32bit it its worth a shot. As previously mentioned your still going to be stick at 8.0.1

sunburst79 11-19-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xeshaka (Post 1706580)

Come to think of it I just installed Vista Buisness 32 bit on a 6 core AMD machine about a month ago and lent it along with my MBox to a friend to write demos with. It seemed to run fine here and I haven't heard any compliants from her so I'm assuming it's all good.

xeshaka 11-19-2010 08:29 PM

Awesome, I'll give Vista a shot :)

sunburst79 11-19-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xeshaka (Post 1706793)
Awesome, I'll give Vista a shot :)

As always your mileage may vary. Keep in mind I did not test this extensively but it seemed stable and had no PT related problems except as noted below. This was with the latest MBox compatible version of PT 8.0x. Which I beleive is 8.0.1cs3.

You should be fine with Vista. Just make sure to optimize the machine per Avids recommendations.

EDIT: knowing what hardware your installing it on would be helpful. Let us know how it works.