Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Can't maximize PT 11 from taskbar (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=362235)

Filmusic 12-23-2014 10:32 AM

Can't maximize PT 11 from taskbar

Well, this is the first time I've ever experienced this one. If I launch PT 11 all is good - but if I minimize it - I can't get it back - I have to close out PT and relaunch the session.

I'm on Win 8.1

Any ideas - no doubt it's a key stroke or two away from mu current state of intelligence.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Filmusic 12-23-2014 10:45 AM

Re: Can't maximize PT 11 from taskbar

I can expand it through the task manager - but there must be a way more elegant way to make this happen. Least i'm thinking.

Bill Denton 12-23-2014 12:17 PM

You should not have any other programs running when Pro Tools is running...

If you don't have any other programs running, there is no need to minimize Pro Tools.

If Pro Tools is never minimized, there is no need to maximize it...

Michael Zull 12-23-2014 07:06 PM

Can you Alt+Tab to it? If you Alt+Tab to it and the window doesn't maximize, try Ctrl+= (shortcut to show/hide the mixer) and see if it pops up.

CygnusX-1Bk2 12-23-2014 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Denton (Post 2214777)
You should not have any other programs running when Pro Tools is running...

If you don't have any other programs running, there is no need to minimize Pro Tools.

If Pro Tools is never minimized, there is no need to maximize it...

This is a nice idea, but in the real world I have to have a Web browser, a Sound Library app of some kind and perhaps Excel and/or some manner of development tool(s). Granted I work in Mac OS not Windows so minimizing the Edit window is no issue. In Windows you have to minimize all of ProTools because the edit and mix windows live inside the ProTools shell (Unless it's changed since 10 on Windows 7 which was the last time I worked on a Windows machine). I think the Movie window is separate from the shell. Anyway, working with only ProTools open is not an option for my workflow.

Michael Zull 12-23-2014 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 (Post 2214970)
Anyway, working with only ProTools open is not an option for my workflow.

Or nearly anyone else's, BILL.

lol, Merry Christmas to all.

Bill Denton 12-23-2014 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 (Post 2214970)
This is a nice idea, but in the real world I have to have a Web browser, a Sound Library app of some kind and perhaps Excel and/or some manner of development tool(s). Granted I work in Mac OS not Windows so minimizing the Edit window is no issue. In Windows you have to minimize all of ProTools because the edit and mix windows live inside the ProTools shell (Unless it's changed since 10 on Windows 7 which was the last time I worked on a Windows machine). I think the Movie window is separate from the shell. Anyway, working with only ProTools open is not an option for my workflow.

Sorry, but you don't get to choose how you want to run Pro Tools...the people who designed Pro Tools made that decision.

Maybe you'll get lucky and have no problems, but I wouldn't bank on it...

CygnusX-1Bk2 12-23-2014 10:06 PM

I've been working with ProTools every day this way since 2002. :D ProTools is full of problems, especially version 11. Looking at my system right now with all of these things open and the CPU meter in PT10HD is showing 5% usage.

unkJE 12-23-2014 10:42 PM

Windows work-around:
Don’t minimize Pro Tools, if you know you can’t “get back”.

Instead of minimizing Pro Tools, hit the vertical Show Desktop button (lowest RHS of screen – on the RHS of Time). Navigate from there.

May you all arrive safely.

Michael Zull 12-23-2014 10:46 PM

Shortcut is Win+D.