Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

Threnody 01-21-2002 11:22 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Hey Roy,
Really good idea man!
This way we can listen to what people are doing with PT, and based on what I listen to I can judge my own stuff, I don't know any musicians in my area working with PT, so this is a fantastic way to find out how much better I still can get!!!
Take care.

My Threnody - http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/294/my_threnody.html

Jeff

stut5 01-22-2002 12:12 AM

Roy I just listened to Goblin Moon, She Wild and route 666.Awesome stuff.Really creative.Love your guitar sounds on Goblin. What are you using for drums?.You've really got PT down.Mixes sound great As soon as I get the MP3 exporter i'll submit something.Stut5

musicsmith 01-22-2002 12:38 AM

Check this out . One of my first full band songs on digi. Let me know what you think
Musicsmith
exit 57 music

fsilano 01-22-2002 07:24 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Roy Howell:
Fsilano/Frank... I tell you, 'Free' is really a good song. Those excellent guitars sound like Hendrix had he become a Christian...(lol) The vocal is nice, too. So, the drums were recorded separately? To what, just basic tracks which you redid at your studio?
Anyway, very well done, in my humble opinion.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roy Howell - Thanks man!! This song was kicking around the band for a long time as an instrumental intil one day the words just came to me as I was driving home from work.

Guitars: That's my brother Victor. I usually play lead and e plays keys and rythym guitars but this is his song to rip a solo! I thought it sounded great too [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] that's a standard 80's Strat Plus through my Bogner Shiva. Great sounding combo.

Vox: I have been battling with getting good sounding vocal tracks lately experimenting with different things, mikes, etc.. Cathie is SO hard to record. She has a very cutting voice that just tears up a microphone and causes it to OD. This one was recorded with an AT ATM33R small condenser which seemed to sound best for this song out of all the mikes I have. I ran it through a Waves Ren Compressor to smooth the peaks while tracking. When I solo the track I hear a slight amount of distortion which I think is due to the fact that I had the input to the Comp a little too hot. We may try again with a AKG C3000 straight into the Digi001 (no comp) and try again to see what that sounds like. I think it is time for me to stop being cheap and break down and purchase a nice outboard mic pre [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Drums: The drums were recorded by John Leavell of Uriah Heap (remember them?) at his studio - Leavell Sound. The apprach was that we set up for a "live" recording - i.e. tracking all parts at once - but are really just focusing on getting good drum tracks. On some songs the whole thing is good and has a good feel that you cannot get any other way. On this song however I had a certain sound in my head that I didn't feel was captured in the original so I kept the drums and scrapped everything else. Went down to the local Sam Ash and picked up the Digi001 and tracked the other parts seprately at my home studio.

I must say this is a VERY cool way to work. Go to the "big" studio and track drums through a nice Trident console with every mic you could name at your disposal, dump the tracks over to Pro Tools, bring it home and load it up in PT LE and do the rest in the nice, relaxing atmosphere of your own place on your own time.

I am LOVING it!!! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Peace,
Frank Silano

Jorge442 01-22-2002 02:01 PM

hey Frank,

just got around to listening......free free free yeah! sounds cool, Victor rips!
you´re having a good time and it comes through in the music

BigRedButton 01-22-2002 02:53 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by samuel40:
jackson's sleepwalker is the bomb... i am still trying to get to everyone but i got to the post so late i'm on page 1 and 2 and i hate to post so far back but at any rate I am digging your stuff jackson . as a general note you guys are all pretty darn good,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

samuel40 -

Somehow I missed your post. Thanks for your kind words, I'm glad you like the tunes. I agree there are a lot of talented people on this board! Keep up the good work guys!

BigRedButton www.jacksonBjackson.com

Roy Howell 01-23-2002 12:57 AM

Stut5,
Thanks bro, for the complements... For percussion, I've been using samples lately. I've spent a little time organizing sounds I can use. If I can ever help you, let me know... Later, Roy

Hey Frank,
In one of my first bands, somebody pulled out an old Uriah Heep album, which had some heavy slide guitar on it, so we did a cover from it... it was a great live song.

And on recording those drums first, I would have done the same thing. That's how we always used to do it. Bass, drums, and me on guitar, but I was mainly there as a reference initially. The important thing was getting that feel down and recorded well on bass and drums. We'de hone the rest later, unless it was a live thing...

Oh, and tell Victor to ease up on that Strat, or it's gonna catch on fire!....

Roy [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

fsilano 01-23-2002 08:10 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jorge442:
hey Frank,

just got around to listening......free free free yeah! sounds cool, Victor rips!
you´re having a good time and it comes through in the music
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks man. Much appreciated!!

Blessings [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

murph16 01-24-2002 01:07 PM

musicsmith,
Just listened to "Another Night". My kind of music! Nice job!
I LOVE the vocalist and the vocal recording.
I REALLY like the drummer and the fact that the drums are live.
The guitarist really SMOKES at the end.
Jorge already touched upon it, but as soon as you mentioned octaves on the guitars, I knew that's what it was. That fat upper bass is slamming your compression on the mix. Probably duplicated bass frequencies around 250-400 from the bass and guitars. The chords sound fat, but they're sharing too much with the bass. If the guitars are thinned out and come at you from a different location than the bass, then the mix would really open up and the instruments would spread out. I think the performance is a great crescendo in itself, and would hold up the intensity even if you back off the low end of those guitars.
Otherwise, it still had me rockin in my chair, and that band sounds good!
I'll bet that guitarist is a Steve Lukather fan....

Roy Howell 01-24-2002 01:46 PM

MikeD,

Like Jorge442 says, he and I can't get it to play through. At the MP3.com site, obviously the artist has a choice whether or not his song can be downloaded, or just listened to once. And for some reason, unless we can download the song, it will only play a few seconds of it...

So, sheesh, I'd really like to hear the Modern Day Hero stuff you did before Christmas, but can't til we figure something out..... Any ideas why we can't get the full song to play, using a typical streamer, like say WindowsMediaPlayer?

Thanks, Roy