Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   Playing Mac Audio Through MTRX Studio (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=416755)

rmccam 08-26-2021 03:33 PM

Playing Mac Audio Through MTRX Studio

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to play sound from my Mac Pro (Spotify, Vimeo, etc.), through my MTRX Studio, while Pro Tools is open.

I've read some threads but I don't know what's current. Is the Dante Virtual Soundcard still the best way to go? It's sort of a kicker to have to pay $50 just to listen to your computer's sound. Haha!

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!

Ryan

Ben Jenssen 08-26-2021 04:45 PM

Re: Playing Mac Audio Through MTRX Studio

I can highly recommend Soundsource.
I've used it with several macs and versions of mac OS, and it's always been really stable and reliable. I can't remember a single hickup. It's a tiny item in your menu, but open it up and it can do lots of useful stuff; per-app-settings, use AU plugins on individual apps, extensive routing options and lets me use F10-F12 keys for overall sound level/mute and more. If you don't need those things, it stays out of your way. Never a conflict with PT.

It's $49 but there's a demo, and I think it's well worth the money. If it works with MTRX, that is. I see no reason why it shouldn't. Except if MTRX isn't using coreaudio…

uptheoctave 08-27-2021 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2611746)
I can highly recommend Soundsource.
I've used it with several macs and versions of mac OS, and it's always been really stable and reliable. I can't remember a single hickup. It's a tiny item in your menu, but open it up and it can do lots of useful stuff; per-app-settings, use AU plugins on individual apps, extensive routing options and lets me use F10-F12 keys for overall sound level/mute and more. If you don't need those things, it stays out of your way. Never a conflict with PT.

It's $49 but there's a demo, and I think it's well worth the money. If it works with MTRX, that is. I see no reason why it shouldn't. Except if MTRX isn't using coreaudio…

99% sure Soundsource won't work with HDX for the reason you describe- HDX would need to be available to Core Audio for Soundsource to work.
It won't be when pro Tools is running.

JFreak 08-27-2021 04:18 AM

Take the optical out of Mac and wire it into optical input of your interface.

uptheoctave 08-27-2021 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2611758)
Take the optical out of Mac and wire it into optical input of your interface.

Current Mac Pro doesn't have optical.
If he has 2012 or earlier then that is ok.
Or some Thunderbolt docks have it.

My (massively over engineered solution) is to us an audio interface with analogue out and then a 2 channel analogue to Dante adapter to put the signal on the Dante network.

It means clocking issues aren't a problem- the native interface can change sample rate without the MTRX having to ever change its sample rate.
Cheaper than the MTRX's sample rate conversion capable AES card.

uptheoctave 08-27-2021 05:05 AM

Another option is to use a monitor controller that supports multiple simultaneous sources.

The SPL MTC2381 is one.
I believe the Crane Song Avocet is another.

The Grace M905 is not.

Sardi 08-27-2021 05:23 AM

Playing Mac Audio Through MTRX Studio

EDIT: OTHER POSTS WERE ADDED BEFORE I FINISHED TYPING MY REPLY. DINNER WAS CALLING.

What MacPro do you have?

If it’s an older Cheesegrater, you could go optical out to optical in on the MTRX. Run all your system sounds off the internal audio card and have them appear in PT with a track set to input monitoring.

This of course is also assuming you have an ADAT port on the MTRX not being utilised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its2loud 08-27-2021 06:24 AM

Are you using any of the line inputs into MTRX?

If not, you have 8 to choose from that you can hardwire your macs output with one of these in place.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...evel-converter

Ultimately you’re gonna have to spend some money for either a hardwired solution or software solution.

Personally, I’d opt for the DVS/Dante VIA combo. But at least with the hardwired version you don’t have to worry about DVS running all the time on your Mac and needing to route things in Dante Controller.

creativecontrol 08-27-2021 06:58 AM

Even if you had a legacy Mac (or TB Dock on a newer Mac), the MTRX Studio doesn't do Optical SPDIF - which is what you would need, ADAT only.

Even though DVS gets a bad wrap - it can still work just fine for system audio - otherwise pivot to James' external audio interface recommendation.

Jeff

Marsdy 08-27-2021 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmccam (Post 2611744)
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to play sound from my Mac Pro (Spotify, Vimeo, etc.), through my MTRX Studio, while Pro Tools is open.

I've read some threads but I don't know what's current. Is the Dante Virtual Soundcard still the best way to go? It's sort of a kicker to have to pay $50 just to listen to your computer's sound. Haha!

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!

Ryan

Once set up, DVS works fine, except if you need to change sample rates in Pro Tools. This obviously switches sample rates on the MTRX Studio but unfortunately DVS doesn't keep up. It doesn’t automatically switch rates and you’ll lose output from the Mac. It gets annoying very quickly!

If you don’t regularly switch sample rates in Pro Tools, DVS works fine, at leat it did for me.