Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Digidesign Hardware & Software (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Session 8 for mac info, version 2.0 and 882 Studio (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=141354)

blackmacdaddy 07-07-2005 03:05 PM

Session 8 for mac info, version 2.0 and 882 Studio

Hello,
I have a few question for the "old schoolers" out there in DIGI land.

#1 Session 2.0 for mac?
I see in the answerbase that "Session 8 version 2.0" for mac was initally released on August 1995.

From abase "08/04/95 version 2.0 (initial release)"

However I see no other reference to this release for Macintosh. Was it so buggy it was pulled? Has anyone out there actually run it?

#2 Session 8 / 882 Studio 3 rack space unit general questions?
I have learned a few things about this interface since aquiring it a few months ago:

1. The "Session 8" interface and the "882 Studio" are the same box with different names.

2. It does not work with PT after 4.0.1 because of I/O routing problems.

3. When hooked to my PT III PCI card, TDM clock is detected from 882 Studio, however, since I have 5.0.1 installed it is useless.

4. Original MAC release "nubus era" to work with Session 8 1.1 (free d/l from DIGI)

5. 882 Studio will only work on 1st Disk I/O card. Others must be 882 or 888 for more inputs. (442 doesn't work with PCI period)

Questions:
#1 Will this interface work with my PCI Project Disk I/O (FD serial) if I run PT 4.0.1 or is it (the 882 Studio) nubus only (IE need to get a 8100 era nubus mac?)

#2 What "mac OS" should I run with PT 4.0.1? OS 8.6, or earlier?

#3 Anyone know of any "good links" about this hardware/software up on old university FAQ sites or "Lowendmac" type of groups?

Lastly: Why do I care about 1994 era hardware?
I run a weekly open mic night in a small college town, and want to do "free recordings" once a month for the local performers b/c I'm a nice guy.

Thanks in advance for any info on my "legacy adventure."

bmd

punk 07-07-2005 07:35 PM

Re: Session 8 for mac info, version 2.0 and 882 Studio

882/Studio will work with version 3.4 DAE/DSI on a nubus mac.

There is a resedit hack that will allow PT 5.0 to boot on a nubus mac with dae/dsi 3.4

So it is possible to run an 882/Studio on a nubus mac with PT 5.

I found that I could only use 3 of the 4 front panel mic pre's.

I also used 2 882/Studio on an expanded PTIII nubus system. But the second interface only allowed for basic in/out like the 882. No headphones or other features. There may have been other bugs that I can't recall.

An 882/Studio is different than an 882 and won't be recognized above DAE 3.4

good luck,

byron

blackmacdaddy 07-08-2005 12:08 PM

Re: Session 8 for mac info, version 2.0 and 882 St

Thanks much punk! It's an adventure learning about these relics!

1st
I'm still curious if I can run an 882 Studio with any PCI hardware (perhaps w/ PT 4.0.1) and use the PCI Disk I/O that I currently own and is in my 9600. Otherwise I have to resurrect my 8150.

2nd
I'm still curious about Session 2.0 for mac. Anyone know if it exists / works?

3rd
What OS can you run with Session 1.1 on the mac. Just 7.6.1?

4th
If anyone has a lead on where I could find out about the "resedit hack" that PUNK mentioned in the previous post (that allows Nubus macs to run PT 5.0.1 with DAE/DSI 3.4)

Thanks again to anyone reading & contributing!

bmd

blackmacdaddy 07-09-2005 04:52 PM

Update:
Well I'm fairly certain that the Session 8/882 won't play nice with PCI hardware.
(Or my 882 Studio is fried) All it shows is about -40db noise in the left channel and -25dnoise in the right channel. This would put 882/S in the same place as the 442 interfaces.

I'm suspecting the different cable config of the PCI 602 (with 2 different ends) instead of the SCSI-2 to SCSI-2 that older nubus systems used, may be somewhat to blame.

Also, using Resedit as punk described wasn't too hard in OS9.

Using DAE/DSI 3.4 as he suggested and changing DAE's "verse" value to 5.0.1 (just on the 3.4 DAE; not the DSI) indeed allows PT 5.0.1 to load.

Unfortunately with my PCI PT III card my Studio 882 interface refuses to work.
If only I had a nubus rig.

This has me wondering about the "holy grail" [5.1 with PT III hardware]
however, having never heard of such a thing -- it's probablynot possible.

Okay, you 6.9 guys can stop laughing now.

Still wondering about Session 8 version 2.0 for the Mac. Anybody?
bmd

punk 07-09-2005 09:47 PM

using the resedit hack you can always try to get PT 5.1 working with PTIII PCI. I upgraded from my nubus system to a MIX core. I don't have a PCI PTIII system to check out a 882/Studio with.

I have even tried to get a 442 to work with PT 4 without success. If anyone has done that I'd be interested. I still use the 442 as a mixdown deck.

I'm not sure if use want the software for Session 8 or the other software they had for multitracking with an AMII called Session. But I think PTFree does everything and more than both of them.

byron

Bruce Barker 07-03-2020 12:32 PM

Re: Session 8 for mac info, version 2.0 and 882 Studio

Reply to a ridiculously old thread: in my experience, Session 2.0 for Mac was certainly not buggy. I bought it new and ran that thing like a fiend before finally ante'ing up for Pro Tools. You needed a Power Mac, Quadra, or IIci to run it, with the latter two requiring an Audiomedia II sound card. OS was 7.1 or higher.
I don't recall what its native audio format was, but it seems likely it would've been Sound Designer II. But Session could handle QuickTime, WAV, AIFF, and SND too.
I'm assuming Session and Session 8 were two different products, because nowhere on the Session/Session 2.0 packaging does it say "8". And I believe Session was capable of more than 8 tracks.
I've got an entire install package, documentation and floppies included in the original box, that I'm putting up on ebay. Only a true vintage geek would want the thing at this point, but man, what a workhorse this thing was in the mid-'90s... and for $200 bucks!