Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   new powerful macBook but still CPU overload?? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=303403)

mikehotten 06-26-2011 05:49 PM

new powerful macBook but still CPU overload??

Hello everyone,

I bought a new macBook Pro with the biggest CPU available (2.3Ghz i7) and 4GB of ram.
So I thought I can finally use a lot of plug-ins and instruments with Pro Tools 9.

Short on time i decided to use the preset session "electronica" for testing the power of my new amazingly expensive studio mashine.

In my mind I was already copy and pasting the IR1 Reverb-plugs passionately on a random amount of channels along with a lot of other amazing plugins and virtual instruments.

But, already on this preset session I got CPU overloads and even wasnt able to play the session with 32, 64 and 128 samples of buffersize.

This session has around 5 Xpand, 3 digi FX plugins, 10 channels and 1 midifile using 1 of the Xpand.

This is much less I was believing the macBook could handle without any cpu problem.

So, do I something wrong?
Do I have to optimize the system better?
Is there maybe a problem with the hardware?

I appreciate every help!

thanks in advance

Michael

anthonylv64 06-26-2011 06:30 PM

Re: new powerful macBook but still CPU overload??

What version of Pro Tools are you using? and What version of Snow Leopard? I was able to run 110 D-Verbs (the old D-Verb test) when I was running PT 8.xx, I never tested my system since then (2 years ago), and I'm running a Mac Mini intel Core Duo 2.0GHz, but I eventually "upgraded" to PT 9, no problems so far, until...I made the mistake to update to Snow Leopard 10.6.8, and PT 9.03 and everything went to hell, couldn't even run 3 tracks with just one plug in. Even my Focusrite LS56 lost communication with my Mac, even though it was showing as firewire active. What a nightmare. I ended up doing a clean install of the OS, and now, finally, got my LS56 to properly work, I haven't even reintalled PT yet, But seems like PT 9.0.3 doesn't run well with SL10.6.8, yet. Usually they (Avid) release an update, sometimes soon, sometimes later.

mikehotten 06-26-2011 07:32 PM

thanks Antony

but....:eek:ahhhh...bad news....but I was kind of assuming but trying to deny it.
But seems like thats the problem.

Im on 9.0.3 and mac os 10.6.8

May I ask AVID if there is an update in reach??

Thank you!

Mike

anthonylv64 06-27-2011 12:08 AM

It's always the same old story, I had a stable system, for some stupid reason, I updated without checking first, and everything went wrong. Since you bought a new Mac, you have probably no other choice, but to wait until they work the bugs in the software and make it compatible. But as long as you don't have to use your Mac for work, just wait, sooner or later they'll release a "fix". And once you get it running, remember, never update until it's "Avid approve". I learned my lesson, and I'm also considering, even though I love Pro Tools, to start working other platform, probably Logic, so I have always another one to go to in case of emergency.

mikehotten 06-27-2011 02:39 AM

hi, yes, I should have knew this! 100% my misstake. But that reminds on on something I did with OS 10.5!
Downgrade.

Go to the apple support page and search for the updates and versions of OSX. They always have all the previous versions for download.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1361

I will try to downgrade with just run this update. Hope it works. But which one should I choose?
10.6.6 or 10.6.7?

Thanks

Mike

mikehotten 06-27-2011 05:44 AM

I called the Apple support, they gave me a good tipp I will try:

create a new partition on the HD

and install the other OS on it!

So i can check first which version works best without reinstall and setup my newer system.

..so easy°°