Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Getting Started (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   PT11 Hui and Motu Traveler not working (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=351554)

Azulin 02-24-2014 09:16 PM

PT11 Hui and Motu Traveler not working

From DP to Pro Tools... and boy am I feeling dumb!!
I cannot get the Mackie Control Universal Hui to show up/work on pro tools 11.
I have a MOtu traveler and an m-audio ozone....
Typically its just my laptop and the traveler, when I get home I have Mackie controller to mix...but I just can't get this this thing to show up, It also keeps telling me I am stuck in a loop... i am very new to pro tools and at this point Im clueless to what I am not doing correct.....
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

soundboy35 02-24-2014 09:39 PM

Re: PT11 Hui and Motu Traveler not working

Connect unit via USB or MIDI (I have mine connected USB straight to the Mac)
Launch Pro Tools
Go to: Setup/Peripherals/MIDI Controllers
Type= HUI
Received from= USB/MIDI port in
Send to= USB/MIDI port out
Channels= 8
Click OK

That should do it.

What is this loop you mention?

Azulin 02-25-2014 06:51 AM

My problem is in the send to and receive from options. On the first column i get the motu traveler as an option and on the second i get ozone 1 as an option.
The loop i get is the port 127 cannot... I forgot the exact language.
I thought i would getto set up peripherals, choose hui, choose traveler...
Thanks for your suggestions, im just not getting those options.

soundboy35 02-25-2014 08:31 PM

If you're connected via MIDI to the Traveler, you should have those options in the send and recv. You don't want the ozone. Try USB on the computer and see what comes up.

weezamiah 02-27-2014 07:59 AM

usb was the way to go for me. I tried midi,but even with mackie tech support they could not get the midi working. Usb straight to my mac mini.

soundboy35 02-27-2014 07:30 PM

Nice!
How big of sessions are you running on the Mac Mini? What model...i7?
PT10 or 11?

Azulin 02-27-2014 08:18 PM

The only thing with a USB connection is the ozone. My Hui only has the Midi in and out, and the connection to expand and the two user stich auxs.
In the midi set up, I choose hui, then receive to traveler port, but there is no send option.
any other recommendations? stuck here....
:confused:

Azulin 02-27-2014 08:25 PM

In Midi, now i get hui, receive from traveler, send to new device...
and now I get a "Pro Tools unable to communicate with HUI please cycle through HUI and/or check connections..."
I am getting closer...

soundboy35 02-28-2014 07:40 PM

Hmmm, Control Universal and HUI are 2 different devices. Which do you have? If you have a HUI, you need to connect it via MIDI ports to your Traveler in and out and the Traveler to your computer via USB I assume? You might also need a driver for Pro Tools to see the Traveler's MIDI ports (not 100% on that)

Bill Denton 03-01-2014 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy35 (Post 2136572)
Hmmm, Control Universal and HUI are 2 different devices. Which do you have? If you have a HUI, you need to connect it via MIDI ports to your Traveler in and out and the Traveler to your computer via USB I assume? You might also need a driver for Pro Tools to see the Traveler's MIDI ports (not 100% on that)

Seems to be a little bit of confusion here...

We are talking about 3 different things:
  • Devices - Mackie Control Universal Pro (and it's predecessor) are "boxes" that you put on a desk (or wherever) and use to control software.
  • Control Surface Protocols - Within the context of this discussion there are two: MCU and HUI. HUI was written by Digidesign and Mackie jointly, has a somewhat limited feature set, but is the only third-party protocol supported by Pro Tools. MCU (or Mackie Control Universal...see the confusion?) was written by Mackie, has a larger feature set than HUI, and is supported by every DAW except Pro Tools (many of the other DAWs also support HUI).
  • MIDI Protocols (both communication and connection). The MIDI communication protocol is just a set of 1's and 0's that two (or more) devices use to communicate among themselves, and is not really germane to this discussion. As far as the MIDI connection protocols goes, I 'splained it several times already in this forum, so just do a search on here for my name and MIDI and messages within the last year to learn about USB and 5-pin DIN and coat hangers (seriously).
None of this stuff is complicated, but you do have to learn about it...