Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

Roy Howell 10-01-2001 02:52 PM

Let's hear your latest stuff....right here

There was a recent post that allowed us to play and get opinions of our new stuff, and I think it was creatively healthy. So, I think it's a good idea to open an unofficial place to play our new music.

I promise not to critique your stuff, unless you ask me a specific question. But, if you feel like commenting about anything, feel free.

This is for EVERYBODY to play what they want, and to express their opinions if they so desire.

If this flies, great. If not, we'll move on.

So, play us what you've been doing lately.
I'll bet it's interesting.........

Thanks to all of you,
Roy

Roy Howell 10-01-2001 08:09 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Everyone slow down now, sloooow dooooown....
Remain calm.....

Tell you what, I'll open it up. I did this thing last night, just an open tuning on my Strat, with no real direction before I started. If you care to hear it, click on the site below. It's called "Sleepy Moon"....

Roy

"Sleepy Moon" (Also check out "Goblin's Moon", somethin about that moon lately....)

https://royhowellmusic.bandcamp.com/track/sleepy-moon

BwanaR 10-01-2001 10:21 PM

Well, this was done in pro tools recently, but the basic tracks are from @1984. My first Digi 001 project was to transfer all my 4tk cassette stuff. Just guitars and drum machine, but give it a listen. I will get to posting new stuff soon.
BwanaSonic

BwanaR 10-01-2001 10:32 PM

BTW- Roy:VERY nice slide stuff. Nice touch!

Roy Howell 10-01-2001 11:28 PM

BwanaR,

I love it! That is a great guitar sound. Sounds like an EBow in reverse with great stereo echo. But, I just tried to enjoy it. I was startin to see stuff, man!

No, really, put anything you want to on here. It's great to hear stuff that's unrestrained and so creative. Thanks for the complement, too......

paulpatras 10-02-2001 09:38 AM

Bwana,

Good song! I think Jimi would be proud. I don't know why, but I hear flutes with it and definitly a fretless bass. But that's just me.

Keep up the good work.

PaulP

DarkShade 10-02-2001 10:00 AM

Thinking along the same lines. Good post.

I haven't uploaded music yet, perfectionist. But would like feedback. I will try to upload a couple tonight.

On another note, how many independent artist/ producers/ songwriters are on the board. And what means do you promote your stuff (online, traditional, other).

What types of resources are available online?

Just started building our site, first thought about keeping it in-house, but later realized to generate traffic, and to keep people coming back we would have to utilize other services. Figured we start locally, create Atlanta Underground Network for artist not already online.

Also, originally thought about hosting music on our site, but pay-per-play MP3.com services seems to be beneficial. That way if no one buys the cds’ at least we receive some type of monetary income (however much we can get).

Share your thoughts'?
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

pk_hat 10-03-2001 12:26 AM

for what it's worth..
www.mp3.com/krou

only the track 'Echolocation' was done with ProTools. The others are pretty old and in need of a serious audio face lift.

pk

Drastikpup1 10-03-2001 06:27 PM

Cool Slide!

I like the slight synth trail in the distance.

Here is a song I wrote with a slide solo at the end.

It's Kinda Adult Pop but not a bad tune.

Thanks for the listen I enjoyed it!

Done using Acid and A Digi with waves L1 with minimal gear.

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/187/justin_a_lynch.html

http://www.dawbox.com

Drastikpup1 10-03-2001 06:37 PM

7th song from the top "Ignorance"
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/187/justin_a_lynch.html

Sorry for the double post.

Here is a Hip Hop CD I produced for a Guy last year.He said he wanted the 2-Live crew style so I gave it to him. He needed a chick backround singer so I busted out the falseto in the second song "Cancun Rain" for him and it actualy worked.

The first song is a Christina Agullera Chorus byte very amusing!

"Warning Very Explicit Lyrics"
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/191/...greg_ande.html

Mr_Seven 10-03-2001 07:22 PM

Drastik....

re: Ignorance

Color me Impressed

DV

Roy Howell 10-03-2001 08:26 PM

Justin,

Yeah, I'm impressed, too. Great song, excellent lyrics, and buddy, you can sing.

Anytime you want to post a song, to get some feedback, or just for the hell of it, please do. It'll be a pleasure to listen.

Thanks, Roy

p.s.I've only heard 'Ignorance' so far. I'll get to some more later.....

Park Seward 10-03-2001 08:51 PM

Excellent, Justin. I think I liked "Ignorance" best. it sounded like you used delay in the vocal in the chorus. I'd like to hear actual double tracking instead. Great job.

Roy Howell 10-04-2001 02:34 AM

Here's a new song a friend is writing lyrics to. It's just a rhythm bed, no vocal yet.

There was a shortage of Plugin CPU space on this, because the production is a little large(mostly Stereo Audio tracks)....

This is one of about 30 older Midi sessions I brought into PT. But, anyway.......

'Amber'

http://basstardz.dhs.org/roy/

Voutsonios 10-04-2001 10:47 AM

Hello Roy
i m downloading your track now - i have a small question
how do you post the mp3 in a webpage
i know how to post *.ram files but no mp3
if it is simple to explain please do

thnx

Roy Howell 10-04-2001 11:26 AM

Voutsonios,

A friend of mine set up a server for me on his site, using ftp to upload and download our music back and forth.

Some people sign on with MP3.com, and could tell you better how that's done(I'm not sure).

For $5-7 a month(I'm told), you can get your own host site. Try this: http://www.hostsave.com/

Now, this site explains about ftp, and how to get it: http://www.niu.edu/~a10jko1/download/ins_WSFTP.html

So, I hope this will help get you going.

Roy

threshar 10-04-2001 11:43 AM

http://jefftunes.978.org/
I have a lot of things up there. Some stuff I definatly do not have a super setup (aside from the digi) nor am I a good engineer, but I like the stuff I've churned out.
the stuff towards the bottom of the song list is done in protools.
Some recomendations are: tame the granola, coming of the shoggoth, and 'no, the hobbit drank the milk'. The style is closest to Stu Hamm.

DarkShade 10-04-2001 06:42 PM

Greetings,

So far, I've listen to a few from each of you. To recap:

Roy- "Sleepy Moon" - for something you just started, you have made a lot of progress. Great start. Can't wait to listen to more. How long have you've been playing?

Drastik- "Ignorance" - HOT... you have a great voice and I agree a talented writer as well. I look forward to hearing more.

BwanaR- haven't listen yet, will tonight.

pk_hat- I sent you a email, good. Love dark, mood music. (portishead, Massive, etc...)

threshar- just peep your link will listen tonight as well.

I hope I didn't miss anyone. It's a shame with all the members on this board only a few are willing to share music. (I thought that's why we post here?)

Anyways, I finally uploaded some samples [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I didn't have a chance to edit, (no excuses) Still new to the art.
Constructive feedback always welcome. ( if u choose to listen )
http://www.mp3.com/organicinema

'holding On' my first...(pop my cherry)
'choke & aftermath" ... more recent

Hope y'all enjoy.... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
-------------
Can we hear from others on the board?????
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Roy Howell 10-04-2001 11:10 PM

DarkShade,

I mean this as a complement, but your music seems to exist to set up the Poet in you. Your words, without even singing them, are the standout in your songs, which to me is cool and unique.

The only thing I would suggest, is that the kick and some of the music seem overly muffled. And your voice and lyrics deserve the best background possible to make what you're trying to say really hit home. That's the only constructive feedback I would suggest.

But, it's artistic and very creative. Very interesting stuff.

Threshar/Jeff,
Obviously, your bass stands out in your stuff, and it sounds good. Some of those changes are really cool....

Now, as for you, pk, I don't know what to do with you.....
No, you know I love 'Orly', but I had meant to ask you about the cool percussion in 'Echolocation'. Did you do most of that with Acid, or how?

Thanks, Roy

Voutsonios 10-05-2001 12:26 AM

thnx Roy i ll check it out
[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

da BaSsTaRd! 10-05-2001 04:58 AM

yo darkshade, phat shtufff..... thats what i'm talkin about.... sombody's gonna break some windows with that bass...

alright, i'm throwing in my lot. http://basstardz.dhs.org/ - lay it on me.... no pain no gain......

pk_hat 10-05-2001 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Roy Howell:
DarkShade,

Now, as for you, pk, I don't know what to do with you.....
No, you know I love 'Orly', but I had meant to ask you about the cool percussion in 'Echolocation'. Did you do most of that with Acid, or how?

Thanks, Roy

Hi Roy,

actually Echolocation was done Acid-free, all in Pro Tools. The drums do come from a sample CD called ZeroGravityBeats (created by ex-Sugarcubes' drummer). I did a lot of surgery to line them up and create those trance-like breaks and dynamics.
The rest was done playing the K2000 which I have now sold.

Thanks for the kind words...

pk

Roy Howell 10-05-2001 11:49 AM

On DaBasstard's site, check out 'Little Juices', which was also the name of his band at the time. It was done totally live on a TDM system in a small studio. Only thing that was later added were some 3rd part harmonies. The lead singer had an mpc2000 sampler. DaBasstard ran direct using a fretless jazz.

da BaSsTaRd! 10-05-2001 11:56 AM

um... thanks roy!

actually, i had a very small part in writing the Little Juices stuff. all i did with PT was master it a few days ago from the demo we made in '98. the other stuff on my site is my original material...

peace.....

billt 10-06-2001 10:37 PM

I have a couple of projects I would like to get some feedback on. Please go to www.freeloadr.com and listen to Virtual Oddessey Project and let me know what you think. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

www.freeloadr.com

Roy Howell 10-07-2001 12:04 AM

Boo!.......Post your stuff, he who is able.....

BwanaR 10-07-2001 08:25 AM

Great to hear a lot of this stuff! It's a good kick in my butt to record some new* material!
Thanks to all for taking the time to listen. BTW- the track "ForJimi" I posted is all guitar and drum machine. The lead track is reversed of course. The "fretless bass" is guitar thru a Micro-Harmonix Micro-Synth( octave divider).
*The original tracks were recorded in 1984 on a 4tk cassette recorder. All echo and panning were done in Pro Tools.

ghoti 10-10-2001 11:05 AM

Greetings,
This is my brothers group: www.geocities.com/southernasylum

The song World Class Threat was done entirely with my digi001. Hazardous was done on ADATs. Beware It's not for the kiddies so if you're easily offended please don't listen.
peace,
ghoti

Roy Howell 10-11-2001 10:42 AM

That's some killer stuff! You guys keep it up, man.......Keep 'em comin'.... What are ya'll workin on now? Also, just curious, what kind of synth is in the background?(the kinda string sound?)

Thanks, Roy

Voutsonios 10-11-2001 04:25 PM

Finally i managed to post mp3s!!! YES!!
the website is at http://www.geocities.com/divoumusic

Let me know what you guys think
Cheers
Vouts!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

jrmyers 10-12-2001 07:55 PM

Roy,
I Dug "Sleepy Moon". That's a major Strat sound you're getting there. Sounded like a cross between that 80s California Sound (Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, etc.), and something Richard Thompson might do. Good stuff!

John

Roy Howell 10-12-2001 10:49 PM

John,

Thank you. I'm glad I just let 'Sleepy Moon' stay simple. I was kinda weary from recording meticulous stuff all day, and just relaxed and played, no pressure on myself. It just is what it is. I told a friend, it's about not worryin'...

Roy

ghoti 10-13-2001 10:50 AM

Roy,
I'm not sure if you were referring to me. The strings on my song was from my Alesis QS8. Lots of layering.
We are working on several songs and I'll post them as they are completed.
peace,
ghoti

Roy Howell 10-13-2001 11:24 AM

ghoti,

Yeah, I was talking to you... So great! Let us know when they're ready....

Thanks, Roy

ReniuR 10-13-2001 01:21 PM

We just updated the Second Skin tracks on our site. We have a newer mix of Beautiful and we have also just added another track called I The East. Soon we will also be adding tracks from a live punk show we recorded last month.

Roy Howell 10-13-2001 04:31 PM

I want you guys to check out this thing I just finished tracking(no vocals yet). I'm actually gonna send this whole session to DaBasstard, whose gonna mix it for me.

This is definitely a ruff mix (I don't have the CPU's to do much, really). But, there's some good stuff here with which to work.

Check it out, it's called, "Route 666".....

Roy

'Route 666'
http://basstardz.dhs.org/roy/

Vegadark 10-13-2001 09:47 PM

I just finished up a remix using the 001.

Decomputerization (Destruction)

Original song by The Tic Tok Men.

Pod v2, Novation Nova, Clavia Nordlead2, Alesis DM-Pro, Misc Waves, Bombfactory, and Digi plugins. The only audio from the original song is the dry vocals and a percussion loop that i chopped up anyway.
www.ampcast.com/darkestred there is also a link to the original song on the page as well.

Roy Howell 10-14-2001 01:31 PM

ReniuR,

The new 'Beautiful' sounds great, and 'I the East' kills. Excellent stuff in my humble opinion. Post the live show ASAP......

Roy

Roy Howell 10-14-2001 01:48 PM

voutsonios,

Just heard 'Song 1', and I love it. Nice guitar sounds, and when it heats up, thank the Lord you still play tastefully. Good work. I was having trouble opening your web page til now. But, it was worth it. From a fellow guitarist, good stuff.....

Roy

Voutsonios 10-15-2001 10:02 AM

Hey Roy

THNX for the complements - i m sorry about the page - i m still working on it
thnx for the feedback

Vouts! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]