Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

Jorge442 06-18-2002 01:05 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Roy, wtf? why did I get the same beginning part 4 times??

well, the bit I heard sound really nice......love the bass and the snare is great. Cool geeetar tone!

jorge

Roy Howell 06-18-2002 01:08 PM

I checked it out, and it worked perfectly. I've heard of this happening before, but I don't know what it could be...sheesh, sorry...(thanks for the comments though on what you DID hear...).

Jorge442 06-18-2002 01:32 PM

hhhmm, I tried again without DL'ing it and it works!! sorry for my badmouthing, I take it back!! great tune anyway [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

jorge

ReniuR 06-18-2002 02:06 PM

Hey everyone. We finally finished up with the Irish band we recorded live back in April. I just posted an mp3 clip from the show on our studio's website. Go to Sound, and then to The Hooligans to listen to it. It's the first live recording we've done in quite some time, and I'd love to hear some feedback.

I chose to post "What Do You Do With A Drunken Sailor" because I figured we could all stand something light and amusing. We would really like some opinions on the recording/mixing quality, but if everybody's too busy falling over eachother to reply because XP support is a few weeks late, that's fine too.

Thanx in advance to anybody who will give an opinion.

Roy Howell 06-19-2002 12:47 AM

This song is about a beautiful witch on the prowl. I played the melody on guitar for another writer to do the lyric. It's about to be sung by a beautiful witch I know... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

'Tonight'
http://basstardz.dhs.org/roy/Tonight%20melody.mp3

Swaphappy 06-20-2002 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Roy Howell:
This song is about a beautiful witch on the prowl. I played the melody on guitar for another writer to do the lyric. It's about to be sung by a beautiful witch I know... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I liked that Roy.
To me it sounded somewhat like a
Steely Dan tune.
Like to hear the version with
the vocals some time.

Roy Howell 06-20-2002 10:49 AM

Thanks Swap,
I'll take a Steely Dan comparison as a complement any time... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . I definitely go for a similar kit sound, with little or no verbs, just as present as possible.

Thanks, Roy

eon sol 06-20-2002 01:03 PM

Hey, thanks ReniuR! Hearing that coming from another professional puts my mind at ease a little. My ears are really tired from working on this one, so it's hard to tell.

We have other songs that are (in my opinion) better than this one that were done in ACiD. They weren't mixed by me...I'm only recently making the jump from the mic to mixing/mastering.

Our site, if you're interested: www.flood.cx

Anyway, I'm not sure exactly what you mean about levels and balancing. I did use the L1 maximizer and it helped out a great deal. Does the mix sound quiet?

All of the instruments are done digitally, the only thing that is actually being recorded in protools are the vocals. I'm using an NTK directly into the 001.

Thanks again for the helpful feedback!

xbernix 06-20-2002 10:37 PM

it take me some time to put some of my works on the web but finally becomes a reality to any one that likeas electronic music (ambient new age) here an oportunity to hear let me know what you think about http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/427/ber nardo_galun.html

eon sol 06-21-2002 12:17 AM

This is the first mixing project I've done on my Digi 001. I admit, I still have no idea what I'm doing. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Give it a listen. Some helpful hints from the trained ears around here would be very much appreciated.

Doldrum Machines

Incidentally, I'm the vocalist. We're sort of a NIN wanna-be band.

ReniuR 06-21-2002 12:47 AM

eon sol, I'm very impressed!

It really reminds me of older Front Line Assembly (just our kinda stuff) I'm gonna make my studio partners hear this too.

The only thing I can think of to suggest is (and you may already be doing this, but) mix at loud volume levels. If you mix really loud, the balance comes out more accurately (it took us a while to figure that one out). You DEFINATELY have the right idea!

Datus 06-24-2002 10:33 PM

Hey we just finished up this stuff. Please take the time to check it out. Post here what you think.

http://www.roundprison.com
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/419/cold_fusion1.html

Thanks

Roy Howell 06-25-2002 12:01 AM

Finally got a chance to listen to a few recent posts:

ReniuR,
I had listened to this earlier, and didn't get a chance to tell you, but you did a great job of recording and mixing The Hooligans live. It sounds like I'm right in front of them. Very present and clean...Excellent work, IMO. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

xbernix,
I listened to all your songs on MP3.com, and found it very interesting, especially 'All the Latin Birds'. Some very nice sounds!

Datus,
Man, of all the songs, I'm really drawn to 'Blue Halo'. Very creative... some unexpected, very nice chord changes. That simple little single guitar line is really nice...haunting. Good stuff... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for letting us listen,

~Roy

ReniuR 06-25-2002 10:04 AM

Thank you Roy. A lot of blood sweat and frustration went into that show. It was 3 hours of recorded material, and PT wasted plenty of my time with bounces that resulted in a corrupt file. I eventually had to bounce it out in 2 parts to avoid that problem.

Thanx again for listening

xbernix 06-25-2002 10:06 AM

thanks roy for your comments
about the song "all the latin birds " I put into my song my cokatiel as a singer some times make
very strange melodies in one ocation I took my old
sony mic and asked the bird to sing . it happens
that every time he listen my synths with the monitors he start to sing together with my music.
in other songs (not listed in the mp3.com) I recorded live (with alot of sfxs) a little cat
if you hear the sound never you will know that
behind some sounds thereis a cat [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] hidding.

bernardo

DOUBLE EDGE 06-25-2002 11:26 AM

here in da south or u n my hood

bey12 06-25-2002 11:28 AM

Hi fellow musicians,
I'd love to hear what you all think of these latest cuts from Sir Cuss' Big Top:

Isotope

Into The Fray

Master!

Also, the website is mostly Flash and is a work in progress, you can stream songs in the Songs area while playing Flash - have fun checking it out esp. the performers (sir cuss, madame ha ha) and Big Top (3 ring).

http://www.sircuss.com

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

lochgarman1798 06-25-2002 02:05 PM

I checked out some of the song links, my favourite was Justin Lynch- Sunny Day a great guitar pop song. Also liked the Soundsurfer songs especially the instrumental.

A lot of the links are mp3's and for those of us who still have 56k connections it can be a long wait, the mp3.com streaming audio is good though, every site should have streaming audio. I know it sounds rough compared to 96k mp3's but at least you can download the mp3 after you decide that you like the songs.

Keep up the good work!

John K

Check out "Trancedental" Vital and Essential
Pushing towards the boundaries of Guitar Pop.
with free mp3 downloads at: http://www.trancedental.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

srik 06-25-2002 05:53 PM

Hi all,
A demo for my fusion track , i have the full version for download. This was recorded using protools. Comments welcome.

Forlorn - Instrumental Fusion
by Srikanth
The imaginary subject in the score is a Lonely Bird. She is missing her companion. It is already past dusk he is yet to come back. She is perched on a branch, her sweet home. Her anxious eyes keeps looking for him as far she could see. She starts to worry about unpleasant events! However at the same time she tries to console herself. She tries to remember good time she had with him. This mental agony goes on for a while. Sun hides its bright face beneath the western sky, she becomes tired and falls asleep waiting for her companion!.

Download from :

http://www.srikanthd.com/demo/master_forlorn.mp3

Thanks.
Srikanth

Captain_Pants 06-25-2002 06:33 PM

Roy, as nice as this topic is, you gotta start "Part II" It getting rediculous scrolling all the way over to Page 23 or whatever it is on, and then scrolling all the way down..
lol

Roy Howell 06-25-2002 07:10 PM

I know it, Captain. Hard to believe this thing has gotten so big. It's been a very cool place to hear music at every stage anybody wants to post their stuff in. Sheesh, I've collaborated now with at least 5 other DUCer's through this forum, some professionally and some just for fun. It's a great place to collab with other writers.
Part II, eh? Hmmmmm... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Aussie169 06-28-2002 02:50 AM

Hi Guys
Here's our latest effort. Have a listen and give me heaps [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

BTW... Roy, you should recognize the drum sounds. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Mark

Watershed Studio

Kamurah 06-28-2002 03:33 PM

Hello all,

I haven't posted in a while....but I have been busy.

here is a new tune, I would really appreciate if you checked it out.

www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=6172&forum=17&1

Click on the "song" folder to d/l

All the vocs are mine....so please let me know what you think.

Song is a synth pop type ditty....similar to Depeche Mode.

Cheers

Captain_Pants 06-28-2002 10:40 PM

Alright, im interested in getting some opinions. If anyone chooses to listen to my files, i want you to keep two things in mind. First of all, it is an expiramental genre, and second, they are hi-quality STREAMING files, so, obviously the bass response is tweaked, and every once in a while you get those weird watery sounds.

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/431/agenda_entropy.html

Thanks.

Roy Howell 06-29-2002 01:02 AM

I got a late night chance to listen to a few...

Aussie169,
Man, the vocals on this are so nice. They just couldn't be better... great mix, too. Nice acoustic guitar, and a few familiar sounds in the background [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ... Great job... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Kamurah,
I realized that your stuff is exceptional ever since I heard 'Beautiful Sky'. But, with a cool vocal like this, it may even be more unique. You really, really know how to get the most out your synths. Very nice...

Captain Pants,
Nice songs...Very creative! I really like some of the sounds you use to enhance them. Keeps em interesting. I'm really impressed...

I'll try to listen to some more later. But, thanks to each one of you for letting us listen...

~Roy

SixChurchStreet 06-29-2002 03:07 AM

Most of the stuff here was recorded with ProTools LE at my studio, but a few were a collective effort between my studio and a friend with the ProTools Mix Plus system...

http://www.skiltrip.com/jkipcount/html/music.html

- Kip / The Neutral Grey

Kamurah 06-29-2002 07:46 AM

Roy,

Thanks once again for taking the time to listen, and for such nice words. I really do appreciate the time and effort you take to listen and provide feedback on all the music posted here....

You da man!

Cheers

Captain_Pants 06-29-2002 05:16 PM

Yes Roy, thanks for taking the time to listen. If you would like to hear more stuff, I beleive there are about 6 or 7 samples at my webpage under the "audio" section.

thanks again.

www.agenda-entropy.com

Roy Howell 06-29-2002 08:15 PM

I'm going through and sorting some Strat loop samples I've created recently. And I just relistened to 'Jamaica Rain' from my song site. If you get a chance, check it out. It's really nice...

~Roy [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

'Jamaica Rain'
http://basstardz.dhs.org/roy/

Kamurah 06-29-2002 10:43 PM

Roy,

Jamaica Rain...nice indeed! Wonderful texture there. I really love hearing sounds that you can lose yourself in. Really cool....thanks for sharing.

Captain_Pants 06-29-2002 11:05 PM

Hey Roy, I also liked Jamaica Rain. I couldnt help but download it, and load it into protools. I was messing around with it, and came up with a sort of mix of it. I hope you dont mind. Actually, Id like to show it to you if you indeed dont mind. Just let me know.

Thanks, ben

Awesome textures!

Roy Howell 06-30-2002 02:05 PM

Kamurah, thanks so much... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Captain Pants/Ben,
I'de love to hear it. These new Strat(and mandolin) loops I've been created are great for creating bigger, better pieces. 'Jamaica Rain' is 152bpm, if that helps.

~Roy [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Captain_Pants 06-30-2002 03:15 PM

yeah, I clocked it at 76, which is, essentially the same thing.
OK, I've got the file on my website.

go to agenda-entropy . on the home page, in the navigational bar on the top right corner, you will see a black outlined square with the phrase "a:e" inside it. right click on that, and save target as, and it will download my "mix" it is about 5.5 megs, so it might take a couple minutes. If that doesnt make sense, let me know.
Thanks.

P.S.; im work with expiramental music, but I found your song to be soothing, so I put it to a dancy beat. Completely different ends of the musical spectrum.
=-Ben

Roy Howell 06-30-2002 07:39 PM

Ben,
I can't get that page to open, no matter what I try. Is there an alternative?

Thanks, Roy

Captain_Pants 06-30-2002 10:47 PM

Alright Roy, try it again, inconveiniently, I had to switch OS's right after I posted that, and since I host from home, you know the procedure, it takes hours to set up a new OS, plus I had to familarze myself with WIN2k Server, as opposed to the third party software I was using. Also, if a password screen pops up, there is no password/username; and if it does pop up, please let me know so I can track down the problem. Thanks in advance.

Top Left corner; www.agenda-entropy.com

pk_hat 06-30-2002 11:02 PM

Hey Captain,

nice work, it takes me back to my clubbing days. The melodies are strong and the songs have nice dynamics, keep up the good work!

pk

Roy Howell 06-30-2002 11:11 PM

That's nice man...interesting take on it... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Cool way to bring a dance rhythm into it.
Thanks, Roy

pk_hat 06-30-2002 11:11 PM

Roy,

I just listened to Maggie's Rain and Jamaica Rain back to back, very nice stuff indeed. Again, great dynamics and you let the emotion of the music flow nicely.

I'll check out more stuff from everybody here, as I just got a T1 line!!!!

pk

http://basstardz.dhs.org/krou

Aussie169 07-01-2002 03:49 PM

Roy

Thanks for the comments. I've got a couple more by that combo. I'll post them in the next few weeks.

The drums samples are very sweet. Looking forward to the CD full when you get time. No hurry.

Mark

pk_hat 07-01-2002 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Roy Howell:

It's about time for some more pk music, isn't it? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

~Roy

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's on the way, stay tuned... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

pk