Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

Jorge442 02-24-2002 10:09 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

da BaSsTaRd,

wow

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Kamurah 02-24-2002 10:56 PM

da BaSsTaRd!

First off...really cool tune. A different approach...and I like that. Good loops (but ya knew that didn't ya!)
I like the bassline and the guitar.

Now as for those vocs.....

Singer is very talented. I hear what you are talking about with the "thickness" and I would approach it from this direction:

Compression: Sounds like you need a bit more on the main vox. It doesn't need to be "squashed to hell" but your singer has a wide dynamic range and it sounds like sometimes her energy gets a little hard to control. I like to tackle this with "layered compression". Maybe two or three different compressors with slightly different settings to even out the frequencies without nasty artifacts. I generally never compress with more than a 2:1 ratio and usually no more than 1-2 db reduction. It is very mild, but if you layer these the effect is great.

EQ: This is just my opinion. I would roll off some (just a little) of the LF in the main vocal, and EQ the backgrounds even more. One good way to keep definition is to take the backgrounds and really cut out the lows/low-mids. Soloed they would sound like crap, but in a mix where all the other frequencies have their proper place...it works great. Watch out for sibilance. I think that this will keep that great "chesty" sound your vocalist has going for her while sculpting out frequencies so the BG VOX don't "muddy" up your mains.
Again, keep it subtle.

Caveat: These are just my opinions....I think the track sounds great and I remain a faithful listener.

Cheers

Kamurah 02-24-2002 11:12 PM

Ok...

I gots two (!) new songs for you guys.

First one is called "Enchanted" and it is a melodic trancy type song.

Second one is called "Get the Groove on" and it is a super funky tribute to Chic.

Both songs were composed in Reason and recorded in Pro Tools.

Please tell me what you think!

"Enchanted" and "Get the Groove on"...scroll to bottom of page

Cheers [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Roy Howell 02-26-2002 12:22 AM

I have been creating samples with my Strat and a few plugins. It started with the idea of making the session itself an instrument, kind of a great big Strat.

Anyway, I used some of what I'm creating in this song, which is an extension of 'Jamaican Rain' (posted above). When you get a chance, see what you think...

Thanks, RH

'Lovers'
http://basstardz.dhs.org/roy/Lovers%20.mp3

Kevin Genus 02-26-2002 01:52 AM

Vouts!!

I stopped listening to stuff a while back, but halfway through this recording my roommates were yelling at me to stop the yelling! Man, "In a Shallow End" was excellent and done right. Very nice.

Kevin

flashbak 02-26-2002 04:18 AM

Roy,
Really nice job on Lovers! If you wouldn't mind I'd still like more in depth coverage of the recording process.
1) How's the guitar recorded (direct, amped, or through a POD?
2) I especially like the sweeping sound (flanger)and how its frequency response doesn't really dull out the sound within the sweep as they usually do! How did you achive this (plugin, settings etc)?

deep pitt 02-26-2002 11:50 AM

Did anyone listen to HeyYeah! by Travis (tcnort) (see bottom of page 11). I heard this tune and immediately loved it (even though I'm happily married [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]). I love the style and attitude of it (in a dark sort of way). I have been watching to see what the more trained ears out there have to say about it and haven't seen anything.

It's been a while now and I can't get the tune out of my head. I have found that stuff I love everyone else hates (which isn't good news for Travis) so I'm curious about what the rest of you all think.

Good job, Travis!

PITT

IOP Drummer 02-26-2002 02:59 PM

www.mp3.com/genomefactor

tcnort 02-27-2002 06:30 PM

thanks for the kind words there Deep Pitt !
I was beginning to think that it must have slipped under the radar or something...
Anyway , Im glad you liked it .
Its from a CD that I recorded with a friend of mine .

Heres a couple more Ive uploaded :

Brain Magic

<A HREF="http://www.gigphoto.com/music/billy.mp3" TARGET=_blank>
Billy</A>

and heres " hey yeah " again

Hey Yeah

Thanks again for the good word. You just made my day.

tcnort 02-27-2002 07:27 PM

IOP Drummer : good song dude. I like songs that start kinda easy and then jump into your face . I was diggin the break at around 2:00 into the song with the effects on the toms and the buildup .
Very cool.

Kamurah : " get the groove on " is definitly funky . Killer production there . those horns are great !

Roy : man , Lovers was great . Very wide open sound . What kinda processors are you puttin to use on all that ?

Jorge442 02-27-2002 10:06 PM

IOP Drummer

awesome! phew......fo´ real, i liked the panning effect with the synth/keys.......how did you do it? sounds killer!

I started to think that maybe the vocals needed to be a little brighter, but then again they do sound nice and warm the way they are,,,,,

speaking of panning, nice job Roy! Lovers actually made me tickle, that MUST be good!
very nice

jorge

Roy Howell 02-27-2002 11:51 PM

tcnort/Travis,
I just listened to your stuff, and man, it's refreshing. It's not super-slick production stuff, but you sure do make honesty sound great. I certainly prefer it to a one-key drum loop 'song'.

Deep Pitt is right, 'Hey Yeah' is killer, but I like 'Brain Magic' myself. Exceptional songwriting man. Made me want to sit in with you guys... (If you need any guitars or slide, let me know ...).

You asked me about 'Lovers'. For one thing, I played what would normally be one 16-bar Strat part as 4 separate 4-bar parts, and panned each separately. Nice effect. But, I also created a bunch of Strat samples using different harmonics and things, and used them in the background. Thank you for your complement, too.

Roy

billt 02-28-2002 06:48 PM

Roy,

I just listened to "Lovers". What a fabulously full, lush sound! Your playing is great, as always. The sampled Strat approach is very unique.

BillT [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

BigRedButton 03-01-2002 10:51 AM

BigRedButton 03-01-2002 10:55 AM

By the way...

Roy, great stuff - very moody!

The quality of stuff posted around here has been especially great lately. Keep up the good work y'all!

Roy Howell 03-01-2002 11:10 AM

BRButton, Bill,and Jorge, thanks VERY much.

~Roy

jon sutton 03-01-2002 05:19 PM

tcnort. brain magic reminds me (just a tad) of neil diamond. and THAT kicks ass.

IOP Drummer 03-01-2002 06:46 PM

Jorge -
The panning effect on the synths was done this way -
I took the original synth and audiosuited on a new track a nasty chorus/phaser. I probably created it with the digirack delay, as they are great! Anyway, the effect had real wide depth and a medium rate. Like a real chorusy out of tune up and down sound. I then put a delay on it with medium feedback, to kind of smooth it all out. I then barely mixed it in, with the original keys panned dead center and automation -panned the effected one all around. Just made one pass with autotouch and the mouse! The thought of doing this came to me because the original keys part just stopped dead and it annoyed me, the sudden change. I just wanted to smooth it out. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, go to
Genomefactor and check out the song. The part I'm talking about is the second verse.

Oh, by the way the drums are 4 mics in a garage. I Just used 1 tom, 1 cymbal, kick, snare, ride and hats. Rooms were SM57's with an oktava 012 on the snare and an SM81 on the kick. How's that for experimenting? Came out sounding pretty good if you ask me.

Threnody 03-01-2002 07:32 PM

Hey Jorge,
Man I was checking out you site, and I got to listen to your stuff, I just want to tell you that it's really good. Man you're a killer on the drums, and bass on "worms" sounds great too as well as the guitars, keep it up!!!
Let us know when the cd come out.

My Threnody

GP 03-01-2002 10:14 PM

Roy, when's the album..er...cd coming out! BTW, I think it should be called "Lovers". Great work bro. I like the sampled Strat idea. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

tcnort 03-02-2002 09:51 AM

IOP: man , im no drummer or anything but i think those drums came out great . My last band recorded a demo CD of some cover tunes at a " real " studio and that guy had like 15 mics on the drums and they came out much weaker that what you did with 4 mics . Good job .

Big Red : tried to check out your site but it wouldnt let me in . Said it had been accessed too many times today. Will try again later . Sounds like some good material on there.

Roy : thanks for the insight into Lovers . Thats one of those songs that just makes you sit back , shut your eyes and listen . Very nice indeed.

Id be honored to have you jam on some of my tunes . Ive been a fan of your playing since i heard " Sleepy Moon " .
I will get back with you on this soon . Ive got some new stuff thats not finished yet but could really benefit from your touch.

jon : ...neil diamond ? hmmm . thanks... i think.
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

ok , heres a couple more from the " Scratchwood " archives...

Julie

That's All We Know

later !
t.

Imakerecords 03-02-2002 10:22 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by da BaSsTaRd!:
ok, here's another one:

I'm Not Feelin' You

i wrote and played the music. the drums are more loops that me and my friend, aaron, made. the girl is China from the GifTeD Crew (same as kinky reggea).

the vocals are a little thick and i can't seem to thin them out without losing what's good about them. any ideas would be great....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DaBastard, very nice. Finally after 13 pages in this post I heard something that I really liked and could actually imagine on the radio. No offense to everyone else who's posted because I have not listened to them all. I have some really great ideas for you. Would I be correct in saying that you only have a few plugins? What did you use to make the beats with?

IMR

BigRedButton 03-02-2002 11:31 AM

OK folks! I've finally got some MP3s loaded onto my studios website! Sorry for the hassle before! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

To listen go to: www.trixiestudios.homestead.com/mp3.html

Please let me know what you think!

"Summer Promise Theme" is a surf ballad I recorded a few days ago for the best-selling author Robin Jones Gunn. I used mainly vintage instruments, minimal micing, and only natural room and spring reverbs to acheive an authentic "california surf" sound.

"Apple Of My Eye" is from a client called Bound To Happen, a teen punk group. Not bad players for a bunch of kids ages 13-16.

"Perfect Mistake" is from a client named Robert McCord. I also played drums on this track.

"Bulletproof Heart" is from a client duo named Rob & Tia. It's an acoustic track - we were going for a "radio show unplugged performance" kind of feel.

"Wrecking Ball" is from my CD titled "Busywork". All instruments and voices by yours truely.

da BaSsTaRd! 03-02-2002 02:58 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Imakerecords:

DaBastard, very nice. Finally after 13 pages in this post I heard something that I really liked and could actually imagine on the radio. No offense to everyone else who's posted because I have not listened to them all. I have some really great ideas for you. Would I be correct in saying that you only have a few plugins? What did you use to make the beats with?

IMR
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yo, lay them ideas on me.... you're right about the plugins: reverb and a little compression on the vocals and that's about it (plus C4/S1/L1 on the master fader).

the drums are loops that i recorded with my friend aaron. he's a great drummer. we went to a local studio to record the drums, then i mixed them down and chopped them into loops here at home.

Jorge442 03-02-2002 03:54 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Threnody:
Man you're a killer on the drums, and bass on "worms" sounds great too as well as the guitars, keep it up!!!
Let us know when the cd come out.

My Threnody
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks a lot, I actually suck big time but I play what I feel........Worms was recorded with the great Scott Burns in 98! Great experience, great engineer, great guy.
The new CD (¨In Blood¨)should be ready soon, thanks for your interest!

l8r

jorge

Dr.John 03-03-2002 08:17 AM

Hello fellow Pro Toolers!

We have a new tune out, in addition to the others you may not have heard on our site...

Check out "Pauline" and any other tunes, as we need some input!

Pauline

Thanks!

Dr.John

Threnody 03-03-2002 10:41 PM

Jorge

...so you've worked with Scott Burns, he is really fantastic, I know hes work because of Sepultura and a few other bands, and on my opinion Sepultura's "Arise" is one of the best Thrash albums ever released, I don't know if you ever had a chance to listen to it but it's really great. If I'm not wroge he is to be held responsible for some Cannibal Corpse and some Deicide cds as well. Just one last thing, I'm a drummer as well, you do kick a**!

Jeff

My Threnody

Roy Howell 03-03-2002 11:04 PM

Jorge,
I checked out your site and music and that's some tuff stuff...You may have the fastest feet I've ever heard(Sheesh!) Fine drummin', Bro!
RH

jhoski 03-04-2002 08:09 AM

Hello,
My boy (18) sings in a 4 piece rock band that plays Incubus covers and one day I thought I'd see how the Digi001 does on a live recording session. We tracked 7 songs in 3 hours all with single takes and no overdubbs. The mixes didn't need much extra work, just a little reverb, drum EQ, and compression. Here is the set-up.
Drums: 4 mics, Kick: Oktava MK319, Snare Shure SM57, Overheads 2 Oktava MC 012-01.
Guitar: Audix OM-2, close, mid-cone
Bass: Direct through a SansAmp Bass Driver
Vocals: EV N/D257A through a ProSonus VXP and BBE. Everything went to a Mackie mixer with direct outs going into the Digi001.

The system did very well and I was impressed with the result and the ability to lay down 7 tracks simultaneously.
Here is one example. http://www.geocities.com/jhoski/Priveledge.mp3

Jay

Jorge442 03-04-2002 10:28 AM

Roy and Jeff,

Thanks, you guys are too nice, my feet are actually slow compared to where I wanna be!!!!!! Thanks though I appreciate it.

Yeah Jeff, Scott Burns did record Cannibal and Deicide. My favorite all time Scott Burns production is Death ¨Human¨. He recorded the first Obituary album on 8 track I heard!
I do love Arise and it just sounds tight tight. Scott is a true master
of his craft. First time I got there it freaked me out when he tuned the drums and the skins were so loose they were wrinkly!!even the kik!! it was hard playing like that, but it sounds sweeet

cheers

jorge

MikeD 03-05-2002 08:04 AM

I'll try this one more time, but this time I'll put one of my own songs up for the first time.

I play guitar and sing backups and my wife is on lead vox.

Our band's name is Swim and the the song is called "Just Walk Away"

Swim - Just Walk Away

Thanks for listening [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mike

Bastiaan 03-05-2002 05:09 PM

Last weekend i tried to do some live recordings to Adat. Here's the first song. It is a draft-version merely to check out how it worked and i was pleasantly surprised wich what i got. Its mixed in under an hour....

Empty Arms

Let me know what you think!

MikeD 03-05-2002 08:08 PM

Hey Bastiaan, cool Straty guitar tone. I like the live feel. Definitely feels like the whole band is right there with you. About the only thing I'd change is put a little more kick in the mix. Other than that, I like it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Threnody 03-06-2002 01:34 AM

Jorge,

I know what you mean, "Human" is one my favorite real death metal Cds ever, it's a shame it's all over now... About "Arise", for drums played that fast, I think I've never heard better sounding drums anywhere else, usually it gets kind of confusing and massy, but not there the song Arise it self is like, wow...
"Slowly we rot", speaks for it self!

Jeff

My Threnody

Jorge442 03-06-2002 09:24 AM

hey Jeff,
Chuck (RIP)will definitely be missed. I cried when I wrote on the guestbook they had set up. Leprosy was the first Death metal album I ever heard and liked, heaviest before that was Slayer for me. I kinda lost touch with him after Symbolic and never heard any of the Control Denied(I think that´s what it was called) stuff.
I totally agree abut Arise, first song...wow
Scott´s signature drum clarity.
Because of the tuning(sp?) the drums sound unbelievable in the control room(and out), everytime I got a take done I would go in there and be like ¨WOW that´s me????¨

Obituary´s was the youngest drummer to ever record at Morrisound I think he was 15.
To me, Obituary and Cannibal are Stoner Death Metal lol very cool

jorge

Mark_Knecht 03-06-2002 06:44 PM

MikeD,
I like every single thing about this tune. I will buy the CD. Let me know when I can!

Cheers,
Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by MikeD:
I'll try this one more time, but this time I'll put one of my own songs up for the first time.

I play guitar and sing backups and my wife is on lead vox.

Our band's name is Swim and the the song is called "Just Walk Away"

Swim - Just Walk Away

Thanks for listening [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mike
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BigRedButton 03-06-2002 08:07 PM

MikeD -
Nice stuff! I'd like to hear a little less volume on the hihat, and vocals. However, the vocal sounds are very clear and warm! Nice tune as well.

Bastiaan -
Great LIVE sound! It serves the song perfectly!

I'd still love some feedback from y'all on my stuff! There should be no problems with the site now. Here's the link: www.trixiestudios.homestead.com/mp3.html

Give em' a spin!

Roy Howell 03-06-2002 09:41 PM

MikeD,
Good stuff,man!

Bastiaan,
Great live recording, in my humble opinion...

BRB,
'Summer Promise Theme' sounds perf for that which is was written. Sorry I'm behind on listening(got the flu)...I'll catch the rest ASAP, and if it's like your other stuff, it's gotta be great.

Thanks, Roy

go i huvet 03-06-2002 10:39 PM

Finally....A new song is added in the following place:
www.mp3.com/bleed1

no.3. it´s called "Years".
Drums made in Reason, Guitar through POD, bass through the pre-amp in Mackie, recorded in Cubase and Fostex D90, "mastered" in Protools.

give it a listen.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

MikeD 03-08-2002 12:42 AM

Thanks to all who listen to my band's stuff and gave feedback. I certainly appreciate it very much.

Mark, the planned release of the Swim CD is sometime in May, hopefully sooner. I am still working on mixes presently. I will let you know when it done. You all are my guinea pigs so to speak. I may post a couple more tunes as I complete them. I'll try not to bog the place down with my stuff. Thanks for the interest, it is the best compliment I can think of [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

BigRedButton, I listened to a couple of tracks and like what I heard. Nice job!