Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Intro Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Pro Tools First or Pro Tools SE? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=376026)

nin10dorox 12-28-2015 03:09 PM

Pro Tools First or Pro Tools SE?

Hello everyone.

A few years ago (I can't remember exactly what year it was. It was probably 2011) I got Pro Tools SE for Christmas. It was great, but I didn't use it very much because I was kind of young to understand all of it. My interest for making music started to come back this year, and I decided to reinstall Pro Tools SE, but Avid seems to have stopped updating it in 2011, so now it is outdated.

Anyway, I heard about Pro Tools First and I just downloaded it, but I can't install it because Pro Tools SE is still installed. The thing is, I lost the installation disk for Pro Tools SE, so if I uninstall it, I won't be able to get it back.

So, if anyone can give me a clear comparison between First and SE so I can decide if it is worth getting rid of SE for a newer version, that would be greatly appreciated.

Craig F 12-28-2015 09:42 PM

Re: Pro Tools First or Pro Tools SE?

Did you register your copy of SE? If you did it would be in your Avid.com account

Given that SE was a bastard product from the word go I would dump it and go with First

nin10dorox 12-28-2015 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig F (Post 2323611)
Did you register your copy of SE? If you did it would be in your Avid.com account

Given that SE was a bastard product from the word go I would dump it and go with First

Thanks. I did register it so I will see if I will be able to reinstall it.

What do you mean by "bastard" product?

Darryl Ramm 12-28-2015 10:04 PM

Low end/dumbed down/crippled product thrown out in some product bundles with a few video tutorials. Was meant to be simpler to use but was not. And no setup from Avid able to realistically support new users with new user problems (mostly still the case).

Unfortunately Avid continuously stubs their toes trying to do lower end products, fails, abandon the products, say they are done there but come back again with yet another try... First is that yet another try, crippled, and does not share standard Pro stools sessions, or use plugins folks already own and costs beyond three free sessions. And you can only work one session offline. Dear God they might as well have just not bothered.

I would avoid them all and get Pro Tools standard or look at any other really capable DAWS that are cheaper than Pro Tools. Studio One, Reaper, Apple Logic, etc. no shortage of great choices, I would be governed mostly by what mentors or band members etc. already use.

nin10dorox 12-29-2015 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2323618)
I would avoid them all and get Pro Tools standard or look at any other really capable DAWS that are cheaper than Pro Tools. Studio One, Reaper, Apple Logic, etc. no shortage of great choices, I would be governed mostly by what mentors or band members etc. already use.

Thanks.
The thing is, I don't want to spend any money at all on software that I might end up never using.
However, there is one DAW that I could get a free trial for. It's called FL Studio 12. The problem with that is that it seems extremely complicated and I with high school (and college for the next four years) I would never have enough time to actually learn how to use it.

But I'll still try out Pro Tools First and look for different DAWs with trials.

Alex167 06-21-2016 02:39 PM

Hello , I can not activate the first pro tools on my windows 10 , I have to do ??

Benoni 06-21-2016 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex167 (Post 2365579)
Hello , I can not activate the first pro tools on my windows 10 , I have to do ??

https://my.avid.com/protoolsfirstactivation

shamzmam 06-28-2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex167 (Post 2365579)

I don't believe Pro Tools First is supported on Windows 10 yet.