Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Avid Everywhere for Audio Webinar (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=354988)

Bruce Paine 05-29-2014 06:00 PM

Re: Avid Everywhere for Audio Webinar

As Brian said, this is now available for playback:

Avid Everywhere for Audio Webinar

Righty27 05-30-2014 05:50 AM

Watched it last night ...

Notwithstanding the debate on the other Avid Everywhere thread (related more to the suggestion that more focus should go on PT11 bug fixes or getting promised features to work properly for typical users, who allegedly wouldn't benefit from the new cloud collaboration functionality), still impressive ... workflows, integration, etc.

Back to the original post however, hopefully this will not require licensing moving to subscriptions only.

And if the new file format, metadata, etc. only come with 'Everywhere' and PT12, I hope we get to see track freezing in PT11 ... maybe as a reward for 'suffering' the PT10/11 upgrade which still hasn't delivered completely on its promise for a lot of users after a year. Ideally, Avid would bring all of this to PT11 in the same way as other developers appear to keep increasing 'bang for buck' for their existing users ... especially if the cloud collaboration aspects are paid extras; maybe along with e.g. HD features?!

Righty27 05-30-2014 06:07 AM

... and for those waiting for the Avid e-mail notification, I've just received mine so they appear to have gone out.

peter5992 05-30-2014 11:46 AM

I watched the videos, looks interesting, though I am not sure whether it is for me.

Not a word about Gobbler though, will that continue to be supported by Pro Tools / Avid?

RyanC 05-30-2014 11:47 AM

I'd pay for it-

Actually I hope they A) don't make it free, and B) create some strata of professionals with this...We already know that the mp3.com/reverbnation and even pump audio etc model doesn't work. It get's flooded with mediocrity as well as people who can't actually deliver professional deliverables...

If they make this really work for pro's, provide a way in for people willing to earn/pay for it (freeloading internet copyright abolitionists need not apply), this could really be a game changer for the indie publishing market.

Righty27 05-30-2014 02:01 PM

Any insight/comments on the instant plugin purchase/rental options? This will surely require developers to get on board.

Again, possibly down to what cut Avid take - Avid is not Apple and Pro Tools is not the iPhone so not sure this marketplace model would have the same impact as the app stores.

Does this signal a move away from iLok?

peter5992 05-30-2014 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Righty27 (Post 2160588)
Any insight/comments on the instant plugin purchase/rental options? This will surely require developers to get on board.

Again, possibly down to what cut Avid take - Avid is not Apple and Pro Tools is not the iPhone so not sure this marketplace model would have the same impact as the app stores.

Does this signal a move away from iLok?

1. The plug-in developers are probably more than happy to get on board, it greatly enhances the opportunity to sell their products. It is infinitely easier to sell to someone who is in a time crunch on a project, rather than through e-mail and marketing campaigns (by which we all get buried daily anyway).

2. Don't see how this has anything to do with iLok, running Pro Tools still requires an iLok license.

JCBigler 05-30-2014 04:44 PM

it's encouraging that at least some of these collaboration features will be available to even us lowly non HD users.

Though I'm still apprehensive about the bandwidth requires. :cool:

Righty27 05-30-2014 11:20 PM

Avid Everywhere for Audio Webinar

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter5992 (Post 2160624)
2. Don't see how this has anything to do with iLok, running Pro Tools still requires an iLok license.

Avid's own plugins all currently use iLok I believe. So, when one buys such a plugin from within Pro Tools, having to still go through the whole download and registration (whether iLok or a different copy protection mechansim - each different) would ruin the flow a bit unless integrated better.

Avid could probably host the latest version of the plugin themselves saving them from just linking to the developer's website, but getting e.g. the Eventide or Soundtoys asset onto one's iLok or registering an account and Mac with Toontrack or IK Multimedia are a different kettle of fish, I think.

JCBigler 05-30-2014 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Righty27 (Post 2160678)
Avid's own plugins all currently use iLok I believe. So, when one buys such a plugin from within Pro Tools, having to still go through the whole download and registration (whether iLok or a different copy protection mechansim - each different) would ruin the flow a bit unless integrated better.

They said in the video that you would be able to purchase, download, install and authorize plugins from the Avid Market Place within the Protools session, without ever having to close and restart Protools.

We'll see how well it works out in reality.