Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Using Pro Tools with Reason ! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60571)

gaurav 10-20-2001 03:05 PM

Using Pro Tools with Reason !

Hi,
just wanted to share a technique i used to use Propellerheads Reason from within Pro Tools LE, using 'Hubi's Midi Loopback'.
Provided, you are using 2 soundcards,
(I have a SB Live + Digi001)

- Install Hubi's MIDI Loop Back using "Add New Hardware" --> "Audio/Game Controller"--> "Have Disk".

- Now you got 4 MIDI ports extra (LB1,LB2,LB3 & LB4) !

- Open Pro Tools (PTLE) and assign output of a midi track to LB1->channel 1.

- Open Reason and go to preferences. In MIDI menu, select main MIDI input as LB1 and Bus1 also LB1. Audio device in Audio menu must be other than DIGI001 (use the other soundcard.)

- Now in the MIDI panel right on top, in the main screen, assign Channel1 -> Synth.

- All notes played on LB 1 channel 1, in protools, are now played by synth in Reason.

Eureka!!! simple (lil complicated), but works like a baby !!!

For using more devices, use channels 2-3 onwards (not channel 1!) from within pro tools.

Adjust Latency in Reason Audio Preferences to 16ms, or higher for no delay in key playing.

Hope this works......
cheers to ya'all......
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

-gaurav

pk_hat 10-21-2001 11:51 AM

Re: Using Pro Tools with Reason !

Thanks Gaurav!

I've come to know about this workaround for a few weeks now, but it's nice of you to post it for those who wish to make these 2 programs work together. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

pk

tacohand 10-22-2001 08:00 AM

Anyone try this method with Reaktor and Digi?

gaurav 10-22-2001 10:32 AM

YEah it works with Reaktor too !

Just remember to send and recieve at the same midi port/channel.

peace,
Gaurav

jihad 10-31-2001 07:44 AM

Hey thanks for the info, i was just gettin ready to post this very question!

i can't wait to get home to try it out(i'm @ work)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by gaurav:
Hi,
just wanted to share a technique i used to use Propellerheads Reason from within Pro Tools LE, using 'Hubi's Midi Loopback'.

- Install Hubi's MIDI Loop Back using "Add New Hardware" --> "Audio/Game Controller"--> "Have Disk".

- Open Reason and go to preferences. In MIDI menu, select main MIDI input as LB1 and Bus1 also LB1. Audio device in Audio menu must be other than DIGI001 (use the other soundcard.)

- Now in the MIDI panel right on top, in the main screen, assign Channel1 -> Synth.

- All notes played on LB 1 channel 1, in protools, are now played by synth in Reason.

For using more devices, use channels 2-3 onwards (not channel 1!) from within pro tools.

Adjust Latency in Reason Audio Preferences to 16ms, or higher for no delay in key playing.

Hope this works......
cheers to ya'all......
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

-gaurav
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

jschnople 01-17-2002 04:31 PM

Ok, so.....

I'm trying to use Reason's Synths and Samplers for midi tracks in PT, using the following method

"Hi,

Hope this works......
cheers to ya'all......

-gaurav"

Works pretty well, except that I only get my sound on playback of the PT midi track when Reason is up and running. What I'd *really* like to do is have a duplicate audio track alongside the midi, that will stick even when reason is closed. I'm using the Soundblaster Live Value card (bundled, yeah, I know.....), and I'm not sure how to route all of this. My midi controller is a plain Jane Fatar SL-161, 2 outs and that's it.

So my midi out from the controller goes into the 001, created a midi track out to reason via the HUBI LB1, then reason audio to the soundblaster card. What I want to do is get from the soundblaster card (or from Reason, actually) back into pt. No luck just using the out jack on the SB card to the 001 via a cable. Is there a way to route this with the spdif??

Thanks loads.

BTW, what's recommended for a new sound card with better handling of this?