Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   will this Intel setup work with PT7 and HD1? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=157012)

Ken P 01-09-2006 02:43 PM

will this Intel setup work with PT7 and HD1?

i got the go-ahead to get a new motherboard and processor to replace the one in my box. the IT guy is looking at getting (per his specs) a New Intel 3 gig processor (EMT 64) & New Intel 945 Chip Set, 2gigs of Ram. sorry, i am completely dumb with PC's. all i know is the one i have been running on has been a bugger at best. is there a way to know if there will be any compatibility issues with PT 7 and an HD1 system with the Intel info above?

nikki-k 01-10-2006 12:50 AM

Re: will this Intel setup work with PT7 and HD1?

Hi!
DO you have the actual motherboard model number?
The chipset might be good, but the board itself also plays a huge part- there are chipsets onboard, as well as slot types, drivers, etc. Model number should provide enough to give a general yay or nay...

Ken P 01-10-2006 05:47 AM

i believe it is this model here

Intel 945g HERE

with an intel D processor, and a gforce 6600 dual monitor video card. let me know if this helps, i can find out more if necessary.

nikki-k 01-10-2006 11:43 AM

OK- Intel (specifically) has utilized that chipset on several of their motherboards. Each has PCI Express plus original PCI slots. I saw no board that had more than 2 PCI slots close enough to allow the current ribbon connectors between HD cards. That means that only an HD Core and one Accel or original HD Proc\ess would be able to be used (in the future, since you are using just an HD Core now).

Basically, I would see you requiring either another motherboard replacement, or an expansion chassis, if you added more than one more card. PCI Express slots (PCIe) are a different form factor entirely from the current HD cards...although Digi has released a new batch of PCIe HD/Accel cards. I do not know about the ability to mix PCIe and PCI/PCI-X cards.

I would actually suggest going for one of the boards in the "what motherboard" or "Poor Man's HD" threads; or, take the model from an approved system, and piece it out. While the chipset you quoted looks nice, in my opinion, it is too sketchy at this point as a choice, especially with so many very nice, viable, proven choices out there. If you had the ability to buy several boards, load em up and figure which one(s) and which do not, cool! Otherwise, I would strongly suggest proven over new territory. Just my 3 cents...

Ken P 01-19-2006 02:23 PM

not really my choice, but me not really having much say in the matter, we went against the grain and got the intel system i originally spec'ed, and so far this setup is smokin'! thanks nikki for your input, i know the 2 slot PCI thing could present an issue in the future, but i guess we will have to cross that bridge when we come to it. nonetheless, this setup blows away the crappy dell i was on previously with 6.2, and 7.1 is rock solid! i didn't know PT on a PC could EVER be this stable, based on my experience over the last 2 years. but then again, the cpu that was thrown at me wasn't fit to be a toilet paper dispenser, let alone power an HD system. i can't believe i can function through an entire day without one single access violation. what a dream come true!! i am even running waves 4, can't use TDM plugs without getting DAE errors, but the RTAS work perfectly. i am getting rid of waves though, for those with any interest of owning waves, visit this lovely liitle thread i started HERE and you might think twice of owning a waves product... but that's just my 2 cents

now i will start a humble new thread on non-waves plugs for xp