Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Eleven Rack Standalone Editor (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=349624)

fredmant 01-14-2014 04:01 PM

Re: Eleven Rack Standalone Editor

Did anyone else notice the amp in the "apology" website is a new one???

http://apps.avid.com/eleven-rack/?el...q_cid=10804956

Made you look! :D
But seriously, I'm wondering if there is going to be a 3.0 update!

kelco83 01-14-2014 04:12 PM

I'll definitely upgrade pro tools now, but maybe I should wait for 12 since half the year is already over. :p

christophersad 01-14-2014 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Cariddi (Post 2121260)
Yes, of course, we will post an update to this thread and also send an announcement when the software is posted. (We wouldn't want to see you get carpal tunnel from checking the website in anticipation!)

Glad to hear you're excited about this as we are. And I'm happy to confirm that Eleven Rack is definitely not discontinued. Announcement of this Editor app should be proof of that too. Long live Eleven Rack!

Tony

tony,u know that telling this u made a sort of promise to us? :D

Vercingetorix 01-14-2014 05:14 PM

So I guess I'll have to drag myself out of the dark ages and finally upgrade my operating system :o.

And then we'll see about upgrading ProTools.....

Kyle Splittgerber 01-14-2014 06:06 PM

Hey Everybody,

My name is Kyle and I am a Product Designer at Avid. The Eleven Rack Editor team and I have been hard at work bringing you the much requested standalone functionality. And, we can't wait for you all to check it out. To echo what Tony said, apologies for the premature announcement. But don't fear! Our plan is to make it available to all you on January 23rd. Thanks for your patience.

Additionally, I will check out this thread on a regular basis and try to answer your questions. I'll start with the ones below.

Thanks,

Kyle

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland Shaak (Post 2121237)
2) Why do i have to register, you have all my silly crap i HOPE on a database somewhere.... :p

Hey Roland,

Those required fields are so we can have a better understanding of Eleven Rack owners' systems. You can think of it like a mini-survey.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciscokid (Post 2121252)
So I wait for 3 years and they finally release it and it's not compatible with my 32bit XP machine.

I'm really pleased for all the other folks who will be able to run it as some have waited even longer than me.

Would it really have been that hard to release it on all the platforms?

Thanks Avid you guys are the best.

Hey Ciscokid,

Eleven Rack Editor is based on Pro Tools 11 architecture, so like Pro Tools 11 it will only work with 64-bit operating systems. We made that decision largely to ensure future compatibility with the latest Windows and Mac operating systems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRSWILL (Post 2121288)
How about a stand alone editor for those of us running PT 10 on OSX 10.6.8???

Hey PRSWILL,

See response above. Wish we could have supported pre-10.8 OS, but it wasn't really an option for us architecturally.

YYR123 01-14-2014 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredmant (Post 2121338)
But seriously, I'm wondering if there is going to be a 3.0 update!

Really ? I think we should count our blessing for right now - and it's free !!!

YYR123 01-14-2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelco83 (Post 2121339)
I'll definitely upgrade pro tools now, but maybe I should wait for 12 since half the year is already over. :p

Probably not a bad idea :D

YYR123 01-14-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vercingetorix (Post 2121347)
So I guess I'll have to drag myself out of the dark ages and finally upgrade my operating system :o .....

You know I really like win7 it's the XP you've always wanted

Kevin Vaught 01-14-2014 06:43 PM

Hi Kyle,

I haven't received the email but I am an Avid account holder and ER owner. Am I still eligible for the free editor??

Also what firmware version will be required??

Thanks for info.

derker 01-14-2014 07:25 PM

Bummer about 10.6.8. Won't be of much use to me at the moment but no loss I guess. Thanks!

Darryl Ramm 01-14-2014 07:34 PM

Alright stand alone editor almost in our hands. But as is often the case solving one problem only creates another, which is what the hell do we complain about wanting now?

To stir the pot, how about...

(I hope the stand alone editor works with multiple Eleven Racks, if not make that #1).

Update to Eleven Plugins to include all the Eleven Rack expansion pack amp models.

A dedicated foot controller, or maybe even better workign with third parties to provide better integration with a nice foot controller, easy editing etc.

Ability to run two separate amp models, split them L/R (there was some speculation in the past there may be enough DSP processing power to do this).

Ability to insert the FX Loop between a preamp and power amp block? Or at least between the Amp and Cab (one reason for that is it gives another option to get a line output without cab resonance and speaker break up applied to it for driving FOH, assuming of course you are not using the FX Loop for other thigns, and for some delay and reverb effects may well sound better applied before the cab).

Ability to independent configure cab resonance and speaker breakup for Main Output vs. Amp1/Amp2 outputs (lots of folks who play live and need to feed FOH and monitors have wanted this). Similar to above.

Tempo setting that will click to the output, for practicing when using the Eleven Rack stand alone. And because the Eleven Rack needs another thing for users to set the volume of :-)

More Amp models. Dumble Overdrive Special anybody?

Custom cab impulse responses.

More cab mic positioning options. Ability to blend mics.

More effects. Some fancier delay and reverb options?

"Settings options" on rigs, e.g. to be able to save multiple different EQ settings for different amps/monitors/locations into the same rig setting.

And finally a stand alone editor on the iPad. :-)

(anybody heard where Chris Townsend is?)

Kyle Splittgerber 01-14-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Vaught (Post 2121373)
Hi Kyle,

I haven't received the email but I am an Avid account holder and ER owner. Am I still eligible for the free editor??

Also what firmware version will be required??

Thanks for info.

Hey Kevin,

You should receive an email when we officially announce next week. And, yes you are definitely eligible for Eleven Rack Editor. In fact, anyone using an Eleven Rack can download and use it for free.

We are supporting v2.0 or later firmware. If you haven't upgraded yet, you can do so here.

Thanks.

kelco83 01-14-2014 09:01 PM

How about fx processed at insane sample rates above 96khz?

Darryl Ramm 01-14-2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelco83 (Post 2121415)
How about fx processed at insane sample rates above 96khz?

Like 192 kHz so everybody could never use that on the Eleven Rack just like they do elsewhere?

kelco83 01-14-2014 09:10 PM

Could be cool for live stuff

derker 01-14-2014 09:22 PM

Custom IRs, lowering the patch switching delay, separating the Amp and Cab blocks, Expression pedal auto-engage.... *those* would be cool for live stuff.

kelco83 01-14-2014 09:25 PM

Eleven Rack Standalone Editor

I don't disagree, shoot for the stars after all. Pushing for better processing would probably involve faster functioning of the unit all around. I see the 11r like the first voodoo graphics cards. If this is the beginning of hardware accelerated fx I can't wait to see what the future holds.

Darryl Ramm 01-14-2014 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelco83 (Post 2121428)
I don't disagree, shoot for the stars after all. Pushing for better processing would probably involve faster functioning of the unit all around. I see the 11r like the first voodoo graphics cards. If this is the beginning if hardware accelerated fx I can't wait to see what the future holds.

The Eleven Rack internally 8X oversamples at least for amp models, so it's running at 384kHz (48kHz nominal) or 352.8kHz (44.1kHz nominal). You could never get the distortions involved in say a high-gain amp without some oversampling. These are numbers Chris Townsend mentioned in the past. I don't think he mentioned what if any oversampling is used on effects.

And Fractal Audio is certainly proud of the internal oversampling of their lovely Axe FX II (which also nominally runs at 48kHz but oversamples at 16X). I'm also not clear how much/for what Fractal over samples for effects.

You would want to pick each specific effect or amp sim that specifically needs a higher sample rate. I am not unhappy with any of the effect or amp sims in the Eleven Rack at all, not for what they are supposed to be. And any effect changes I'd like to see are adding features or changing what is modeled, e.g. I'd like a stand-alone deep tremelo capable of really helicopter thumping type effects or some Eventide Space like reverbs. I'd leave it to Avid to worry about details like oversampling needed for any effect.

"faster functioning of the unit"... I don't know what you mean/want there. More oversampling reduced the capacity available to model more things in the DSP, not the reverse. And things like the Eleven Rack front panel UI are not running on the DSP... the Eleven Rack main CPU running the UI etc. is a 32 bit ARM processor.

kelco83 01-14-2014 10:00 PM

Eleven Rack Standalone Editor

Oh totally, you never know what you're missing until you hear/see the difference😀. Same thing in the graphics industry.

I was just saying that generally when one item is upgraded the other components tend to follow suit.

I don't know the interworkings but it's not a stretch to imagine a few different reasons for a delay in the GUI not necessarily caused by the control part of the system.

Darryl Ramm 01-14-2014 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelco83 (Post 2121433)
Oh totally, you never know what you're missing until you hear/see the difference😀. Same thing in the graphics industry.

I was just saying that generally when one item is upgraded the other components tend to follow suit.

What upgraded? I suspect very few folks want hardware changes to the Eleven Rack. There are relatively large number of feature/software improvements lots of users woudl like. Arbitrarily just increasing oversampling would reduce the ability to deliver some of those (even in a new more powerful box). Unless there is a specific issue with something not being modeled well because of the current sampling (if so what? maybe there is, I just can't think of it) then you might as well just say the box should be painted green as saying it should have more oversampling/a higher sample rate. And hardware changes that _might_ interest me are things like variable analog gain on the input, a better headphone amp circuit, and certainly more powerful DSP/multiple DSP *if* that was needed for things like modelling dual amps, split pre/power amp/cab, custom IR, etc. and those software features are provided.

But until I see Chris Townsend involved in this I'd be skeptical of Avid doing any deep changes the the Eleven Rack (including many of the things on my starter list earlier).

kelco83 01-14-2014 10:20 PM

That sounds like quite a few things more under this thought-line.

Increasing processing accuracy in any way is always a better thing. As is improving user experience.

Tony-N 01-15-2014 12:16 AM

Very nice news indeed, thanks, looking forward to finally have a standalone editor to this great machine. :)

Vercingetorix 01-15-2014 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yyr123 (Post 2121367)
you know i really like win7 it's the xp you've always wanted

:-):p:D

YYR123 01-15-2014 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derker (Post 2121427)
, lowering the patch switching delay.....

Oh yeah - +100

Sam C 01-15-2014 06:46 AM

Great news.

Glad the few people that kept saying it was dead and not to expect anything were wrong!

The 23rd seems like a real short wait now.

brianiac5150 01-15-2014 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony cariddi (Post 2121260)
long live eleven rack! Tony

AMEN!

...and Darryl, those are some excellent pot stirring ideas.

Cowboy Bob 01-15-2014 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2121387)
Alright stand alone editor almost in our hands. But as is often the case solving one problem only creates another, which is what the hell do we complain about wanting now?

(I hope the stand alone editor works with multiple Eleven Racks, if not make that #1).

Update to Eleven Plugins to include all the Eleven Rack expansion pack amp models.

A dedicated foot controller, or maybe even better workign with third parties to provide better integration with a nice foot controller, easy editing etc.

Ability to run two separate amp models, split them L/R (there was some speculation in the past there may be enough DSP processing power to do this).

Ability to insert the FX Loop between a preamp and power amp block? Or at least between the Amp and Cab (one reason for that is it gives another option to get a line output without cab resonance and speaker break up applied to it for driving FOH, assuming of course you are not using the FX Loop for other thigns, and for some delay and reverb effects may well sound better applied before the cab).

Ability to independent configure cab resonance and speaker breakup for Main Output vs. Amp1/Amp2 outputs (lots of folks who play live and need to feed FOH and monitors have wanted this). Similar to above.

Tempo setting that will click to the output, for practicing when using the Eleven Rack stand alone. And because the Eleven Rack needs another thing for users to set the volume of :-)

"Settings options" on rigs, e.g. to be able to save multiple different EQ settings for different amps/monitors/locations into the same rig setting.

+1+1

I vote especially for the Avid 11R Floor Control (yeah that's what they should call it), Two simultaneous amp models, and updating the 11 plugin to match the ERXP.

Tony-N 01-15-2014 07:55 AM

If we're already on the subject of the next wishes to be realized, I notice that I'm probably quite low maintenance regarding stuff for the 11R after finally getting the standalone editor:
  • Orange amp - well, of course ;)
  • Ampeg B-15 Bass combo
  • IR Loader - would make this beast extremely versatile
Other than that I actually have what I need...aside from the fact that I probably already have what I need now...well soon, January 23rd to be exact. ;)

nst7 01-15-2014 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2121387)

One other important requested feature: The ability to use the digital I/O as the FX loop.

brianiac5150 01-15-2014 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony-N (Post 2121600)
IR Loader - would make this beast extremely versatile.

This would be a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE upgrade to the Eleven Rack and - IMO - really, more closely challenge other high-end modelers.

I know this to be the case, as I've lined out the Eleven Rack into my Two Notes products and there's a mountainous difference - for the extreme better - in tonal capabilities. The fizziness I often struggle with in the high gain stuff is completely replaced with TONE.

Anyone capable of snagging an Eleven Rack on the cheap and adding a Torpedo CAB to the loop will be amazed.

Darryl Ramm 01-15-2014 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nst7 (Post 2121601)
One other important requested feature: The ability to use the digital I/O as the FX loop.

Mmm lots of uses for that bad-boy.... But then folks are going to also want dedicated digital FX loop connections. :-)

And if we do get into hardware upgrades I'll add ADAT/SMUX I/O input and output to the rack fantasy. Nice to be able to just add all the Eleven RACK IO to HD or other ADAT capable system.

YYR123 01-15-2014 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2121660)
And if we do get into hardware upgrades I'll add ADAT/SMUX I/O input and output to the rack fantasy. .

Yes. SMUX Yes Floor control yes 2 amps at the same time (fender and marshals whoa)

Lachrae 01-15-2014 11:24 AM

SUPER SWEET.

Even though I am still on Vista 64 :( This all but cements that the Eleven Rack will be my next gear purchase! :-)

I mainly just didn't want to have to deal with PT, to get the interface, this is fantastic! :-)
Now I can buy just the interface without any worries.

I will be building a new rig before too long with Windows 8.1 64bit. So then it will be all good!:cool:

So thank you very much Avid!

musicman691 01-15-2014 02:02 PM

No email here yet; guess I'll have to wait along with everyone else.

Something I wondering about is how is this going to work with PT11? I mean having two programs accessing the same piece of hardware at the same time? Will we still be able to embed rigs in a PT track?

YYR123 01-15-2014 02:16 PM

Good point -

1. Does this unit function along side of PT?

Cowboy Bob 01-15-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2121730)
Good point -

1. Does this unit function along side of PT?

ProTools expert got a preview copy, apparently. Yes, it works ALONG SIDE of PT 11 or any other DAW.

Rig embedding etc. has not changed supposedly.

Benoni 01-15-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2121721)

Something I wondering about is how is this going to work with PT11? I mean having two programs accessing the same piece of hardware at the same time? Will we still be able to embed rigs in a PT track?

The embed function is handled by the SETUP>IO in PT11, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Kyle Splittgerber 01-15-2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2121721)

Hey musicman691,

Eleven Rack Editor is essentially sending/receiving MIDI communication. So, Eleven Rack Editor, Pro Tools, and Eleven Rack all update to reflect the same selected patch, rig settings, etc. From a workflow perspective, you shouldn't see much of a change other than now having GUI control via separate application.

Embedding rig settings is available in Pro Tools 11 via I/O Setup>Input page. So, it is not available in Eleven Rack Editor.

MadisonV44 01-15-2014 02:42 PM

Very nice and flexible from a workflow point of view.
Thanks for the clarification.

christophersad 01-15-2014 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber (Post 2121735)
Hey musicman691,

Eleven Rack Editor is essentially sending/receiving MIDI communication. So, Eleven Rack Editor, Pro Tools, and Eleven Rack all update to reflect the same selected patch, rig settings, etc. From a workflow perspective, you shouldn't see much of a change other than now having GUI control via separate application.

Embedding rig settings is available in Pro Tools 11 via I/O Setup>Input page. So, it is not available in Eleven Rack Editor.

Hi kyle,i want to Ask u and Tony a direct question: is there any plan for future update to the 11r?cause if there is a plan there is no sense in keeping it secret,if there is not....well it make sense Then,a non answer is a negative answer now.