Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   "Missing Files" - Another Feature Request (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=240291)

Bignjhammer 02-26-2009 11:05 AM

"Missing Files" - Another Feature Request

Not sure if someone else has ever posted asking for this but I think it is important.
I think a lot of PT users have been there. You open up a session and you get the "Missing Files" Dialog Box. You hit the Automatically Find & Relink button and pray that it works or you hope that the missing file(s) is only tone or something insignificant.

The reason it happens varies from third-party software copying files to the wrong path to PT Disk Allocation anomalies etc. Regardless of the reasons, I think it would be nice if Pro Tools could automatically copy all referenced audio to the current Session's Audio Files Folder with one or two mouse clicks.

The Fairlight had a feature which did exactly that called "keep borrowed" which copied any audio that was in the sequence but was not currently in the project (Session's Audio Files Folder).

I believe this would make archiving much easier and more reliable than it is currently especially in situations where many different engineers on different systems are picking up jobs from others.

Just my thoughts.

Frank Kruse 02-26-2009 11:17 AM

Re: "Missing Files" - Another Feature Request

"Keep borrowed" for the poor PT user:

Sort by Path in the project browser. Select the files in unwanted locations. Select "copy and relink" from the toolbox.

Wait.

Done.

(obviously this only works if the files aren´t offline so this won´t save you from relinking. But on the fairlight the same is (was) true ;-) )

Of course this procedure in one click wouldn´t harm either.

Noiz2 02-26-2009 11:34 AM

In preferences check the ALWAYS COPY ON IMPORT. That will do 90% of what you want.

Bignjhammer 02-26-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noiz2 (Post 1359202)
In preferences check the ALWAYS COPY ON IMPORT. That will do 90% of what you want.

I have this pref checked; however I have seen this not copy files to the audio files folder even when the preference is checked. Can't always reproduce it either. Also, no disrespect but 90% isn't a great percentage when it comes to missing files.

Bignjhammer 02-26-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kruse (Post 1359190)
"Keep borrowed" for the poor PT user:

Sort by Path in the project browser. Select the files in unwanted locations. Select "copy and relink" from the toolbox.

Wait.

Done.

(obviously this only works if the files aren´t offline so this won´t save you from relinking. But on the fairlight the same is (was) true ;-) )

Of course this procedure in one click wouldn´t harm either.

Thank you very much! I will use this method; unfortunately, this is a little tedious because it still relies on me sorting thru a boatload of files and hoping I don't miss any files when selecting which files to copy. That's why a nice 1-click would be nice so you don't have to think or worry about it.

Felix Rost 02-26-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bignjhammer (Post 1359232)
it still relies on me sorting thru a boatload of files and hoping I don't miss any files when selecting which files to copy.

That's why he said to "Sort by Path" first.
It's actually very easy and foolproof once you got it.

Bignjhammer 02-26-2009 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felix Rost (Post 1359236)
That's why he said to "Sort by Path" first.
It's actually very easy and foolproof once you got it.

I understand that is why he said it and that does make it much easier. But if the paths are similar and very long, it is still possible to manually miss something. That's why having Pro Tools do it automatically would be a nice feature.

barismanco123 02-26-2009 01:16 PM

Brent Heber has basically answered your question on his blog.Check it out.

It really is simple when you get used to it.

1: Copy on import, access this from preferences
2: Understand where your files are going on the disc allocation setup (recorded files)
3: 4: Everytime you finish working on any session in PT always save copy in of the session and back it up on to a DVD.

Baris

barismanco123 02-26-2009 01:17 PM

Brent Heber has basically answered your question on his blog.Check it out.

It really is simple when you get used to it.

1: Copy on import, access this from preferences
2: Understand where your files are going on the disc allocation setup (recorded files)
3: Sort by Path in the project browser. Select the files in unwanted locations. Select "copy and relink" from the toolbox.
4: Everytime you finish working on any session in PT always save copy in of the session and back it up on to a DVD.

Baris