Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Disable snap selection to grid (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=396992)

idris 02-05-2018 01:32 PM

Disable snap selection to grid

Is there any way to disable the snap selection to grid funciton?

ie When using the Selector Tool (or the Smart Tool equivalent) if you hold CMD (Mac) and select a portion of a clip with the cursor, the selection boundary snaps to the next grid value.

I don't remember being pestered by this function until sometime around PT12.???. Now I find it a complete PITA.

kalony 02-05-2018 02:34 PM

Re: Disable snap selection to grid

dont you just habe to select „slip“ instead of „grid“ in the upper left corner?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

idris 02-05-2018 03:01 PM

For the workflow in question I'm using Shuffle more.
The snap only occirs when CMD is pressed in conjunction with a mouse drag.

kalony 02-05-2018 03:09 PM

hmm, sorry, i am still not sure what you want to know.
in shuffle modus „snap to grid“ should be disabled by default.
i dont even know, if you can enable it with pressing cmd as you can do it in slip mode for example.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

idris 02-05-2018 03:21 PM

It's not the positioning of the clip that snaps to the grid, but rather the boundary of the selection you are trying to make.
Try this :
Choose Shuffle mode
Set Grid to 1sec
Zoom in on the time line until you have about 5sec visible.
Using the Smart Tool, select about half a second.
Then try to make the same selection whilst holding down CMD.
The second time the out point of the selection, will snap to the mext whole second.

Rich Breen 02-06-2018 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idris (Post 2473573)
...ie When using the Selector Tool (or the Smart Tool equivalent) if you hold CMD (Mac) and select a portion of a clip with the cursor, the selection boundary snaps to the next grid value...

I don't understand; why are you holding the cmd key down while editing if you don't want the function it provides? Why not just release the cmd key?

idris 02-07-2018 03:36 AM

I'm not intentionally doing it.

After making a selection I am using Paste To Fill, which uses CMD. Because I have an Apple Magic Mouse, unless I move my index finger well clear of the surface of the mouse, PT recognises it as CMD/select.
I'm trying ot get out of the habbit of leaving my finger on the surface of the mouse (after 30yrs of mouse use it's quite a habbit to break), but it would be a whole lot easier just to diable the function.

That's the Why.
I take it there are no suggestions as to How?

Ffab 03-22-2018 04:07 AM

Same problem here! Have you found a solution?

The only workaround i`ve found is to set grid to samples and then choose 1 sample...

idris 03-26-2018 12:35 PM

My best work around is to slow down.
I wondered whether it's something loosely to do with using a Magic Mouse and the surface thnking you're scrolling when you're not, but haven't got round to digging out something more primitive.

scottmckay 10-24-2018 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idris (Post 2482017)
My best work around is to slow down.

This absolutely hit the nail on the head for me.

I feel like I literally have to edit in slow motion now that this behavior is mandatory.

Since command always meant slip mode, with one finger I could both ensure my edits would slip (regardless of mode) and at the same time already have half of the next key command pressed, say, for the next tool I was going to switch to, all WHILE I was drawing a selection or trimming a region. It was a great workflow that really let me fly thru a dense editing session.

Not so anymore.

Now I have to stop and make sure I release my click before hitting the command key. This wastes time now that I have to add this waiting phase to the workflow. It really adds up when you have a few thousand edits to perform over the course of a session.

Default behavior? Fine! But all I want for Christmas is a cute little checkbox that lets me disable this behavior so I can get back to editing efficiently.