Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Access violation while translating tracks (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=265806)

korkman 02-01-2010 03:35 AM

Access violation while translating tracks

Hello

I have never downloaded a single cracked plug-in, and never will (and I wouldn't even know how to do it :o). BUT I get Access violation reports from PT LE quite often now. The most typical is "Access violation while translating tracks" when I try to save and my work is lost, and Pro Tools becomes unable to perform the exit command because of this "access violation". Sometimes I can also get: "Could not complete open Recent Session 2 Command Because Access Violation Occurred While Translating Tracks".

People on this forum make lots of offhand remarks like "I know you're suppose to get this problem with some plug-ins" etc, but I do not know, and would greatly appreciate it if there was a helpful all-rounder page that explained in simple terms for a no-tech person like myself where I should start. After hours of searching, I have found nothing in the forum that would address the issue in simple and practical terms. A procedure chart, preferably with the less cumbersome solutions first - I would hate to have to reinstall everything.

I do use freeware plug-ins through that wonderful FXpansion wrapper and have done so for well over a year, but have not had problems earlier - and I mainly use PT plugs and UAD at the moment. If I decide to remove the freebies, do I simply move the dll files from the vst plug-in folder to some other folder and re-run the wrapper?

With hopes for understanding explanations from people who know (or can make better educated guesses than I can).

with thanks in advance,

Korkman

----------------------------
PC laptop dualcore T4200 @ 2 GHz, 3 GB RAM + ext hard drive via eSata cable, Windows XP Professional SP 3, Pro tools le 7.3.

rhythmtechnologies 02-01-2010 04:12 AM

Re: Access violation while translating tracks

a previous post of mine...

Quote:

nope. access violation occurs with plenty of legit plugs.

if i added more than 6 mcdsp AC1 i got access violation on PT8 but none with ac2. none on 7.4.

if i use ml4000 1 ive no problems. if i use multiband i get access violations.

if i add a csr reverb on 8 i get it. not on 7.4

hell, i even get access violations if i open project browser at the wrong time.

i think people really need to stop claiming access violations are because of cracked plugs. they're not. they may happen when cracked plugs are involved but they happen with legit plugs all the time aswell.
its plainly obvious that it can happen with legit or not legit plugs but some people use the "cracked plugs" excuse as there doesnt seem to be any answers forcoming from digi.

infact, the more threads that appear relating to the subject the more they seem to get ignored (beyond the old cracked plugs excuse)

my guess is that either digi havent the first clue whats causing it or else they do know, cant fix it and choose to ignore it.

its a strange one alright.

korkman 02-01-2010 08:21 AM

Thanks, yes, I'd read you post but not seen replies that would help. :(

A strange and far from innocuous problem. I mean, some people seem to write that they get this on exciting pro tools only and that it does not really do any harm, but I get these e.g. just after a bounce (pt probably trying to save but somehow fails) and then I can no longer save my session. So the work is lost. I can usually open it again and work or so it seems for now, but I'm worried. Is there some standard procedure for when you have problems with PT ... I've seen people saying "thrash your prefs" but I have to say I do not really know what that means or how it is done exactly. I'm ready to start trying things if I get some suggestions! I'm in the middle of a project here so I will not go back to my ghost of a couple of weeks back just yet, as I have never done it feel unsure about it.

best,

Korkman

TCM 02-01-2010 09:33 AM

There is a tech support utility which can do the trashing for you:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...&categoryid=36

You need also to review whether your plugin versions are compatible with your respective PT version:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...n=news_details

albee1952 02-01-2010 11:04 AM

If you post a Sandra report, that may help get more ideas
Help us help you - what you need to know before posting!

korkman 02-02-2010 02:17 AM

I'm sorry, I'm very clumsy with the tech side of stuff, and have never done a Sandra report. I'll get to it once this big deadline with my current project is off my hands ... hopefully I can manage it before my access violation problems make work impossible. If it does not, then I'll be done by Saturday and will have next week to dig out all the info I can from my laptop. Here's a small addition to my symptoms description so far:

I just got a report saying:

"Pro Tools was unable to Auto Backup Your Session. (If your session was on a read-only .... etc" which might suggest I have a problem with the connection to the external hard disk drive: would that show up as an access violation also?). There was an addition to this message saying (Error was: Access violation occurred). I could not save my work, but I managed to export the midi files I was working on, so I'll simply try again. I was using Miroslav Philharmonic, SampleTank (the version I got with Pro tools in the Ignition Pack), and had an instance of Trillian (Spectrasonics) in a disactivated track.

I can think of a number of things I might be doing wrong, like keeping a low sample rate so I could play real time with the various tracks etc, so I might have been pushing CPU limits, but ... tell me if you think that might be related.

Anyway: hope this info is of some use. If not, then could you please (I realize I'm being a baby here, but) direct me to a page where an easy explanation is given regarding Sandra reporting and suchlike.

best,

Korkman

ps. I also had problems when mixing with UAD stuff a few days back, namely inserting ATA Mellowmouse on tracks tended to throw me out of pro tools so fast it could not even give me an error message.

TOM@METRO 02-02-2010 02:32 AM

This should cover it for you.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=133039

korkman 02-02-2010 08:32 AM

Thank you guys, these pointers do give me a lot to work on! :-) I'll get back to you when I've had the time to use this info. I'll start with thrashing prefs, now that I know how to, since plugs quite likely are not the main issue in my case. I'll just make a new ghost first.

best,

Petter

TOM@METRO 02-02-2010 09:15 AM

About Ghost,

I have discovered that ghost images and drive copys can lose the authorizations to non-ilok plug-ins and apps. To overcome this, If t matters to you Try Acronis True Image for duplicating drives.

korkman 02-10-2010 03:14 AM

Thank you Tom, thank you guys! I downloaded the tech support utility and thrashing prefs was really made simple! I'll get back to mixing now, and hope to soon post a follow-up saying my problems are gone.

best,

Petter