Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Artist Series (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Cleaning faders? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412126)

noiseboyuk 10-04-2020 11:18 AM

Cleaning faders?

I have a sticky fader (the first one, naturally), often loses motor control and doesn't output any data until it hits the very top of travel and that usually kicks it back to life. Any use in exploring fader cleaning somehow? Back in the day Colclean used to work wonders sometimes on electrical stuff, but a) I don't know if it still exists or what its replacement might be, or b) if its safe to use on an Artist Mix anyway.

Obvs I can sent it for repair, but thought I'd check this first. Thanks!

elicious 10-05-2020 06:48 AM

Re: Cleaning faders?

HTH...

ALSTUDIOS 10-06-2020 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noiseboyuk (Post 2579474)
I have a sticky fader (the first one, naturally), often loses motor control and doesn't output any data until it hits the very top of travel and that usually kicks it back to life. Any use in exploring fader cleaning somehow? Back in the day Colclean used to work wonders sometimes on electrical stuff, but a) I don't know if it still exists or what its replacement might be, or b) if its safe to use on an Artist Mix anyway.

Obvs I can sent it for repair, but thought I'd check this first. Thanks!

Hi
Had same issue after droping some coffee over the Artist Mix :(

After cleaning the surface, I sprayed WD40 into the rails of all the faders and let the testprogram run for some time. (You know - move faders up and down automatically). It worked afterwards as expected.

If you have really issues, open the device and clean the fadertrail (as well with WD40). Should work as well.

Otherwise.....by a new one...;)

Cheers

Neale 10-06-2020 06:21 PM

No.

No.

No no no no no.

WD40 is “water displacement formula #40”. It’s not a fader lube. If the fader is sprayed with WD40, it will appear to be better for a time... until it clogs up worse than it ever was when the dust bunnies grow with the WD40 stuck in there. Total pain to remove. Use proper fader cleaning materials from someone like CAIG or MG Chemicals. But before doing ANYTHING with fluid, try compressed air... you may fix it, but you may also make it worse if you blow the dust bunnies INTO the brushes instead of AWAY.

Proper way to do it is the disassembly from your first reply. Disassembly is a pain, but if you can get it back together and you don’t have spare parts left over, your unit should work like new again.

Marsdy 10-07-2020 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neale (Post 2579631)
No.

No.

No no no no no.

WD40 is “water displacement formula #40”. It’s not a fader lube. If the fader is sprayed with WD40, it will appear to be better for a time... until it clogs up worse than it ever was when the dust bunnies grow with the WD40 stuck in there. Total pain to remove. Use proper fader cleaning materials from someone like CAIG or MG Chemicals. But before doing ANYTHING with fluid, try compressed air... you may fix it, but you may also make it worse if you blow the dust bunnies INTO the brushes instead of AWAY.

Proper way to do it is the disassembly from your first reply. Disassembly is a pain, but if you can get it back together and you don’t have spare parts left over, your unit should work like new again.

Can’t help thinking that if you’re taking the unit apart you might as well just replace the fader with a new one. They’re like £38.

noiseboyuk 10-12-2020 04:30 AM

Belated thanks to all. I know Colclean used to be very safe on electrical stuff (unlike WD40) - something like that is the only thing I'd risk trying cos I don't trust myself to take the thing apart and then have it back in one piece! Has no-one tried something like that?

I know Lee Electronics in the UK will swap out for a new fader, but its quite pricey and I'd be without the unit for a while.

MoPro 10-13-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noiseboyuk (Post 2579966)
Belated thanks to all.
I know Lee Electronics in the UK will swap out for a new fader, but its quite pricey and I'd be without the unit for a while.

As Neale said above... try the compressed air first!