Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Neyrinck SoundCode LtRt (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=325776)

subwoof 07-20-2012 03:20 PM

Neyrinck SoundCode LtRt

Anyone using Neyrinck SoundCode LtRt? I am evaluating it to replace Dolby Tools for making LtRt's.

My normal workflow with Dolby Tools is to buss the 5.1 mix stems to it (after some creative bussing to get the 5.1 tracks down to LCRS), then encode the stems into DX, MX, FX, and FO LtRt's, as well as making an LtRt of the printmaster and M&E. Those encoded signals go to stereo record tracks.

My question is, in setting up SoundCode LtRt to encode the 5.1 stems and printmaster, should I select "Surround Stereo LtRt (5.1) as the plug in type? When I go to instantiate the Soundcode plug-in on 5.1 aux tracks, I have the following options: "Surround Stereo LtRt (5.1 stereo)" or "Surround Stereo LtRt (5.1). The user guide is vague which to use as a TDM plug in.

Any wisdom out there on this?

minister 07-20-2012 06:13 PM

Re: Neyrinck SoundCode LtRt

I have used the Neyrinck SoundCode LtRt (as part of the Dolby E package) successfully. You can do it as an offline, faster-than-realtime option. However, he provides no decoder. You can't mix with it. Hang on to Dolby Tools.

cjguitar 07-20-2012 07:53 PM

Use the Soundcode Stereo LtRt (5.1 to stereo) configuration, as you will be going from the 5.1 mix to a stereo LtRt and record the output of that. You'll find the Nyrincks plugin is so much better than the Dolby plugin.

TVPostSound 07-20-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subwoof (Post 1950897)
Anyone using Neyrinck SoundCode LtRt? I am evaluating it to replace Dolby Tools for making LtRt's.

My normal workflow with Dolby Tools is to buss the 5.1 mix stems to it (after some creative bussing to get the 5.1 tracks down to LCRS), then encode the stems into DX, MX, FX, and FO LtRt's, as well as making an LtRt of the printmaster and M&E. Those encoded signals go to stereo record tracks.

My question is, in setting up SoundCode LtRt to encode the 5.1 stems and printmaster, should I select "Surround Stereo LtRt (5.1) as the plug in type? When I go to instantiate the Soundcode plug-in on 5.1 aux tracks, I have the following options: "Surround Stereo LtRt (5.1 stereo)" or "Surround Stereo LtRt (5.1). The user guide is vague which to use as a TDM plug in.

Any wisdom out there on this?

I use it to encode PLII from my 5.1, make sure you use it as DSP (TDM in my case) not Native. Native has 60ms of delay which delay compensation wont handle.
That means a lot when you're printing 5.1 LTRT, and M&E LTRT, at the same time printing to tape.

garret 07-21-2012 05:00 AM

Check out the minnetonka plug in. It lets you decode in real time so you can mix through it and hear the results.

kd_special 07-21-2012 05:36 PM

I have listened to my stereo mix vs my LTRT mix though the dolby decoder SDU4. Ad I make my LTRT files with surcode by minnetonka. And I don't know if its just me or the shows I work on by my stereo mix sounds better when its decoded.

however most shows I work on are reality TV so its not like the is LS RS information besides music in these mixes. So for the past while I have just given my stereo mix as my LTRT.

The only thing I did notice is that when I bring the LTRT File made from my 5.1 Mix in Surcode into Pro tools. Put it back to back on matching tracks and look at the wave forms they seem to be at the same level and the meters show that too. However when I put them through the SDU4 the LTRT file is like 3 db louder general dialog/mix wise. So the LTRT encode must do some kind of magic.

kd

dr sound 07-21-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minister (Post 1950926)
I have used the Neyrinck SoundCode LtRt (as part of the Dolby E package) successfully. You can do it as an offline, faster-than-realtime option. However, he provides no decoder. You can't mix with it. Hang on to Dolby Tools.

Mike,
Get the Neyrinck and use it to encode, use the Dolby to monitor the decode.
The Neyrinck has way more headroom then the Dolby Tools.
While I hate making an Lt/Rt if I have to I only use the Neyrinck.
http://www.neyrinck.com/en/products/...de-stereo-ltrt

lexaudio 07-21-2012 07:32 PM

can you still buy the dolby plugin? I suppose you can, but will it decode PL2?

Neyrink needs to make a decoder, but I like the plugin more than the dolby.

lexaudio 07-21-2012 11:13 PM

Not sure if this does it all.

http://www.minnetonkaaudioshop.com/ATBM

But if it can decode, it is definitely cheaper than Dolby and LtRT Nryrink.

There is a demo so check it out.

subwoof 07-23-2012 09:13 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments. It must be a marketing thing that keeps Dolby from updating and modernizing Dolby Tools to go past TDM versioning. After all, Dolby Pro Logic is a pretty old home theater format, and 5.1 is the thing in TV now. Maybe someone from Dolby could comment.