Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mastering VST? Mastering Program? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=304841)

MetalDrummer13 07-24-2011 05:38 PM

Mastering VST? Mastering Program?

Hello, all.

I am in the middle of a home recording project with my band and was looking for a mastering VST (compressor/anything that will bring my recording to standard CD volume) that would work in Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio or Audacity OR a program that does just that. I already did the basics to my master track in Pro Tools (EQ, Dither, etc.), so it has the clarity that I want, but not the volume.

Please note that the version of Sound Forge I have does not possess this capability.

Thanks!

sunburst79 07-24-2011 06:31 PM

Re: Mastering VST? Mastering Program?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalDrummer13 (Post 1818420)
Hello, all.

I am in the middle of a home recording project with my band and was looking for a mastering VST (compressor/anything that will bring my recording to standard CD volume) that would work in Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio or Audacity OR a program that does just that. I already did the basics to my master track in Pro Tools (EQ, Dither, etc.), so it has the clarity that I want, but not the volume.

Please note that the version of Sound Forge I have does not possess this capability.

Thanks!

Try the demo version of Ozone 4 see if it helps. Keep in mind that actual mastering is an art.

albee1952 07-24-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunburst79 (Post 1818435)
Try the demo version of Ozone 4 see if it helps. Keep in mind that actual mastering is an art.

Well said:rolleyes:. My tool of choice is Wavelab with Waves L2(but there are many options available to you).

MetalDrummer13 07-25-2011 11:08 AM

My demo of Ozone already expired :/.

Also, I'd like to say that all I need is a volume maximizer.

Stig Eliassen 07-25-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Also, I'd like to say that all I need is a volume maximizer.
Maximizing the volume/loudness is done with eq, compression and limiting as a bare minimum, at least for me. Lower the treshold on the limiter -> massage the eq a little, and even more so when adjusting the compressor.

zedhed 07-30-2011 11:50 PM

Have you tried using Maxim plugin that comes with Pro Tools?

Instantiate an instance of Maxim on the master track in PT & see what you think. It would be your cheapest option.

Greg Malcangi 07-31-2011 02:54 AM

Careful here MetalDrummer13, maximising the volume of a mix is just maximising the volume of a mix, it's not mastering! Maximising the volume of a mix is just one small part of the actual mastering process. A good mastering engineer (a rare breed) will analyse a track and adjust it's "feel" and balance, adding sparkle, warmth, width, clarity, depth, polish, etc. (and yes, volume). The mastering engineer will apply some or all of these based on experience, the musical style and the wishes/intentions of the producer. Lastly, it is the mastering engineers job to make the mix sound great on a wide variety of replay systems rather than it sounding it's best just in the studio in which it was mixed. From this simplified explanation of the mastering process you can see that there is not and cannot be any such thing a mastering plugin or automatic mastering process or program. Anything you see marketed as such is just that, marketing! If all you want to do is increase the volume then a limiter such as the Waves L2 or Massey 2007 would fit the bill.

One final observation, you said you had already applied dither. Dither should be the very last process applied to the track, eg., after volume maximising and any other mastering processes.

G