Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Time Shift: Why no pitch/time strap?! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=174957)

EricWillhelm 08-18-2006 12:04 PM

Time Shift: Why no pitch/time strap?!

Argh! unless I'm missing something, this new Time Shift plug-in once again seems to not have the ability to strap the pitch and time, so that the effect is the same as slowing or speeding up a tape. And even Waves, whose Parametric SoundShifter has this function, it doesn't do it without an unhealthy amount of phase weirdness in the resulting file. How hard can it be? I'd think that the pitch following the time would make for a nice clean conversion.

Anyone have an ideal way to do this? And again, all I'm looking to do is to achieve the same effect as slowing or speeding up a tape. NOT the process of it slowing or speeding up, just the end result. Like, say you are syncing a music track from a CD to an old video with the same audio but at a different speed, and you want to correct for it.

Just curious,
Eric

JimWest 08-23-2006 01:48 PM

Re: Time Shift: Why no pitch/time strap?!

If I understand your post correctly, Time Shift does have the feature you're after. One of its modes/algorithms is called Varispeed. "Use to link time and pitch change for
tape-like pitch and speed change effects, and post-production workflows."

Jim West
Plug-in Program Manager
Digi

comprodman 08-24-2006 01:22 AM

What you want is the plugin called "Speed" if you look on EBay it goes for about $25 with a $25 ILok fee.

EricWillhelm 08-28-2006 05:01 PM

Nope, that doesn't do it either. Tempo and pitch are completely independent of each other. I mean, you COULD do it, if you felt like working out the calculation for one setting once you've set the other. But SURELY there's a plug-in where pitch and speed are strapped, ISN'T THERE? There has to be.

Ugh.

accession 08-28-2006 07:59 PM

Quote:

Nope, that doesn't do it either. Tempo and pitch are completely independent of each other. I mean, you COULD do it, if you felt like working out the calculation for one setting once you've set the other. But SURELY there's a plug-in where pitch and speed are strapped, ISN'T THERE? There has to be.

Ugh.

Serato Pitch'nTime

http://www.serato.com/products/pnt/

Check the screenshots on the page: engage "Varispeed Mode" where "pitch is controlled by tempo settings".

I'd be surprised if it's not the only product to do it. Just a setting available to many similar plugs???

Kryst 08-28-2006 08:58 PM

Quote:

And even Waves, whose Parametric SoundShifter has this function, it doesn't do it without an unhealthy amount of phase weirdness in the resulting file. How hard can it be? I'd think that the pitch following the time would make for a nice clean conversion.

No offence really, but from a first year programming student's point of view, How hard could it be? Well, why don't you create the plugin software that can do what you want it to do, then show them how easy it is?

accession 08-28-2006 10:02 PM

Quote:

If I understand your post correctly, Time Shift does have the feature you're after. One of its modes/algorithms is called Varispeed. "Use to link time and pitch change for
tape-like pitch and speed change effects, and post-production workflows."

Jim West
Plug-in Program Manager
Digi

After d/l the PDF and plug-in, I just noted it does too, and came back to report it, and you'd beaten me too it.

To the original poster, what's wrong with the "varispeed" mode on the new FREE plug-in?

From the pdf:
Varispeed
Use to link time and pitch change for
tape-like pitch and speed change effects, and
post-production workflows.

Isn't that exactly what you want it to do???

Jon_Atkinson 08-29-2006 02:29 AM

Quote:

Anyone have an ideal way to do this? And again, all I'm looking to do is to achieve the same effect as slowing or speeding up a tape. NOT the process of it slowing or speeding up, just the end result. Like, say you are syncing a music track from a CD to an old video with the same audio but at a different speed, and you want to correct for it.

Surely any sampler on the market (Reason, Kontakt etc) does exactly that?
In my experience if you need to varispeed a track, the best sounding results come from samplers rather than Speed or Pitch n Time (and believe me I've tried these!!).
Plugins like Speed seem to overcomplicate the process, and there are definitely wierd artifacts if you try and varispeed more than a couple of percent.
My favourite, sonically, is EXS24 BTW.

EricWillhelm 09-17-2006 05:44 PM

I stand corrected. Indeed, the Vari-Speed setting on Time Shift is exactly what I was looking for!

Color me gun-jumping.

I wish I knew how to write my own plug-ins. I'll have to take a class as well!