Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   003 PT8 impressions (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300004)

MacDaddy WGAR 04-27-2011 05:49 PM

003 PT8 impressions

As a 16 year mac/pro tools user i was cautious about getting a new system 003/Pt8.05/snow leopard, I was previously on 6.9.2. so far really dissapointed.
1.) the color scheme makes my eyes crazy the wave forms om my uper tracks are darker not bright like the old systems.
2.) Also does not support SDII files so when I open any of my hundreds of old sessions it will have to convert them to wav.
3.) It has up and quit on my numerous times in the past 2 days and won't let me relaunch, I get error that it can't find hardware and i have to log out and back in for it to purge and reacquire hardware.
4.) It does not have the old built in digi compressor and 4 band eq and doesn't replace them with the newer versions in my session so i have to start from scratch.

Digi was a much better company Pre Avid so many different patches and configs now it makes ones head spin.

Dism 04-27-2011 06:10 PM

Re: 003 PT8 impressions

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacDaddy WGAR (Post 1787672)
Digi was a much better company Pre Avid so many different patches and configs now it makes ones head spin.

So not true at all.

I understand that you may have been comfortable with PT6, but 8 and 9 are whole new beasts. PT9 is by far the most stable version I have used on Mac.

Plus, I can't imagine going back to a version without EA.

What about PT8 is unstable for you? Could you be trying to use plugins from PT6? (since most of them will not run in PT8) What Mac/OSX version are you using?

SDII really has no place in the industry anymore. Everything uses wav now. If you were to give your session to any other studio, it would still have to be converted. Just something you will have to do to keep up with the times.

BTW: Avid owned Digi long before PT6. ;)

The Dougfather 04-28-2011 04:05 AM

Quote:

It does not have the old built in digi compressor and 4 band eq and doesn't replace them with the newer versions in my session so i have to start from scratch.
By default they are in the plug-ins unused folder, you just need to move them across.

jbasil 04-28-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dism (Post 1787675)

SDII really has no place in the industry anymore. Everything uses wav now. If you were to give your session to any other studio, it would still have to be converted. Just something you will have to do to keep up with the times.

Yup. And it has more to do with SD files not playing nice with modern systems than DIgi abandoning a format. First of all, due to the way SDII files kept information in both resource forks and data forks, it's far more susceptible to corruption, especially after transmitted through different systems, where forks that can't be dealt with get stripped out. AIFF, which grew up side by side for Mac users eventually became a better choice and became the OSX standard, even for pro audio. Secondly (among other things) there are sample rate and bit limits to SD files, which would have meant SDIII or whatever replacing it. Since OSX deals with WAV files even better than Windows does, there's really no reason to not use WAVs. Hand someone a file or session, bingo, no problems.