Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   mixer / interface / expansion questions (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=54853)

piotr_s 05-26-2003 10:43 PM

mixer / interface / expansion questions

Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding various pieces and any recommendations/testimonials you might want to share, as an advice for someone about to spend some money…. Here we go:

1. I am considering purchasing a Roland M1000 10_Channel Rack Mixer. I started looking for a way to connect more SPIDIF ready devices to my Digi-001 (which has only one SPIDIF input and output). Midiman Digipatch 12x6 was also a possibility, but after a closer inspection it seems that Roland unit might be a better piece over all – especially since it seems to allow a connection of an external computer (in my case this might be a perfect way to connect my laptop to the main G4 workstation) via a USB port. I would love to hear your opinions – especially if you have the unit – evaluation of performance, compatibility etc.

2. I have a Proteus 2000 at this point with the factory presets on the main module. I want to add (possibly 3) more expansion modules. I was wondering if anyone could advice what might be the best configuration. I understand that ultimately it’s up to me to decide what kind of sounds I am looking for, but it also appears that many expansion modules that EMU sells have duplicate sounds/presets (am I right or wrong about this?) – so I guess what I am trying to avoid is buying modules that will have the same material on them. (Like for example how much of an overlap is there between Orchestral Sessions 1&2 and the Siedlaczek Orchestra module etc.)

3. Another Proteus related question: I was considering upgrading to Proteus 2500 (from 2000) – is that a wise move? Or should I spend my money on loading the P2K with the additional expansion modules?… I mean what are some key pros and cons of 2500?

4. What are your recommendations for a good MIDI interface that would work well with ProTools LE Digi-001 on a G4 Mac? I am looking at MidiMan MIDIsport 8x8 OR Edirol UM-880 8x8. Or perhaps there is some unit that I do not know that has worked well for those with similar setup?

I am on a Mac G4
Max/MSP, ProTools Digi 001
Proteus 2000
+ Misc. outboard gear

Thanx for all your help,
p.

P.S.
Can’t tell you how many times I have returned to this forum for answers to various questions – always found answers! This is an invaluable resource! Thank you all.

piotr_s 05-27-2003 02:12 PM

Re: mixer / interface / expansion questions

Hey all,
Don't get me down now... surely some of you have things to offer regarding at least some of my questions...
Any info appreciated (highly I might add)...
Much love,
p.

piotr_s 06-02-2003 11:07 PM

Re: mixer / interface / expansion questions

Allright... last attempt:
Can you please share any comments on the gear mentioned (or perhaps not mentioned but better suited for the tasks)?
Thank you,
p.