Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   002 Rack to 003 Rack Upgrade - Not working? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=207992)

Three-Legged Cat 10-24-2007 05:23 PM

002 Rack to 003 Rack Upgrade - Not working?

So, my 002Rack died recently with what appears to be a power harness issue, and I went an picked up a 003Rack so I can finish some pending sessions. Since I'm already running PT7.0, shouldn't I essentially be able to plug in the new 003 and have it work without any sort of reinstallation - I mean, it came with 7.0!

I'm getting a series of clicks on power up (relays doing their thing, I suppose), and after it seems to be on I fire up PT. And I get the "Unable to locate hardware..." message.

I was hoping to refrain from opening the enclosed software packages/agreements/etc. until I'm sure I'll be happy with the 003. I'm on a dual G5 2Ghz with 2.5 gig memory, and everything work smoothly with the 002Rack until the recent hardware failure.

Help?

Three-Legged Cat 10-24-2007 06:08 PM

Re: 002 Rack to 003 Rack Upgrade - Not working?

Forgot to mention, I'm on the unsupported OSX 10.4.10. Worked fine with the 002Rack. I'm just looking for clarification that I should theoretically be able to plug and play the 003Rack since I already had the 002Rack up and running. True? How can I be sure that my 003Rack is even booting properly? After the clicks, the mute button light comes on - which I took as a successful boot? The 002Rack had Sample Rate lights on the front that came on after boot, but I don't see any corresponding lights on the 003Rack. The Link light next to the firewire ports on the back comes on, but the HOST 1394 light on the front never engages.

Thanks

saeblee 10-24-2007 06:16 PM

i had the same problem when i upgraded two weeks ago. i contacted my seller and they sent me a replacement unit overnight. I have no troubles with the new unit so far.

also, make sure you thouroughly go through the list mentioned here: http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...fpart=1#313423

make sure you also follow these instructions (which are not given in the 003 start up guide:

Spotlight Indexing

If Spotlight Indexing is running in the background, this can cause errors in Pro Tools. To disable Spotlight Indexing follow these steps:

To turn this off there are two methods, both require administrator permissions:

Manually:

Start up the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/)
Type the following:

cd /etc

sudo pico hostconfig (enter your password or press return)

An editor will open with the following entry: SPOTLIGHT=-YES- Replace 'YES' with 'NO'

press ctrl-x, then 'Y' and then press return Close the Terminal and restart the computer.

With my old unit, i could not even get it to power up. with my replacement unit, the power is fine. but i had to do the above instructions concerning spotlight to get rid of the communication error with 003 hardware.

hope this helps.

Three-Legged Cat 10-24-2007 07:02 PM

How do you know that power up is successful? Any indicators other than the Mute button being active?

I've already done the stuff in that list, and I just did the Spotlight change to no avail.

When you got your replacement 003R, did you have to reinstall anything, or did it just come back up?

Thanks!

sunburst79 10-24-2007 07:21 PM

The 003 had its own revision of PT as I recall.

EDiT: you need 7.3 as listed here

saeblee 10-25-2007 06:59 AM

when my replacement unit came, i just swapped them out with no new installs. everything worked fine. i am running 7.3....
that may be your problem.

as far as the startup "clicks", you will always have this. you can search the DUC and see that other people were concerned also about these noises at startup. you can hear my relays click about 3 times before the unit actually powers up.

msawitzke 10-25-2007 12:36 PM

Quote:

when my replacement unit came, i just swapped them out with no new installs. everything worked fine. i am running 7.3....
that may be your problem.

as far as the startup "clicks", you will always have this. you can search the DUC and see that other people were concerned also about these noises at startup. you can hear my relays click about 3 times before the unit actually powers up.

002s and even HD192s click like this...no worries.