Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AC2... first or last in inserts... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=174647)

tlester 08-14-2006 06:14 PM

AC2... first or last in inserts...

Hi all -

I've been using Analog Channel's AC1 on my mix buss for some time now. I just really started playing with AC2 (the tape emulation). All I can say is WOW. What a difference that can make. I'm curious as to how you guys are using AC2. Do you put it at the front of your insert chain or at the end?

I can *think* of it as coming off of tape, and being first. But it also sounds really good when it's last.

Thoughts?

-Tom

badboymusic 08-14-2006 07:56 PM

Re: AC2... first or last in inserts...

I usually put AC2 at the end and AC1 at the beginning.

JSR 08-14-2006 08:12 PM

Quote:

I can *think* of it as coming off of tape, and being first. But it also sounds really good when it's last.
-Tom

...I think of it more of the opposite; you basically treat the plug as if it was a tape machine...you are printing the track to tape and simutaneosly playing it back and hearing the results; therefore I usually do my eq / compression / etc, and then use the AC2 last.

Andre Knecht 08-14-2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

[…] But it also sounds really good when…

Let that be your guiding principle.

Shan 08-15-2006 01:22 AM

Quote:

Hi all -

I've been using Analog Channel's AC1 on my mix buss for some time now. I just really started playing with AC2 (the tape emulation). All I can say is WOW. What a difference that can make. I'm curious as to how you guys are using AC2. Do you put it at the front of your insert chain or at the end?

Thoughts?

-Tom

I put AC2 at the beggining on every single track followed by AC1. I think of it like coming off of 24 track tape(AC2) into the console(AC1) and then my other plug-ins follow. I have a few 'virtual' mixing consoles setup like this.

Shane

sirpucho 08-15-2006 03:46 AM

Hi there

I place the AC2 last in a chain if I use it. I prefer to do all my eq comp 1st and then add it as a smoothing off effect. I find it does help to gell mixes together in the way my straight to analogue tape songs used to be.

I did find digital too clean often for rockier and mellower music and this plug in is fantastic I would rate it as essential in my collection. Do play with the paremeters in the context of the mix i.e. not soloed and you'll be surprised how swiss may suite one sound in the mix and american another etc and that's something you couldn't do with real 2" "hey I'll put my kick on ampeg and vox on a Studer" this is why I love mixing in the box. Also the point I'm trying to make in a round about way is you may not actually want it on all tracks digital isn't broken it just sounds different and sometimes you may want certain items in the mix to have that super top end clarity.

Again don't assume everything must have "valves and or been on tape" real or plug in the whole advantage of mixing in the box to me is you can have your cake and eat it.

If you like AC channel you should try sony's compressor the warmth feature is similar but different to the tape thing it gives a pleasing ehnahcement to the sound as does the inflator that seems to be a more developed version of that feature.

I was mixing on a Neve VR last weekend first time for years I came to the conclusion I dont miss large format desks at all a few bits of good quality outboard some great plug ins and your there!

I almost forgot it can be great to buss bv's drums etc then apply AC 2 as last insert on sub group + try this for cool distortion effect parallel your drums so you have them going straight to the mix bus and to an aux and really heavilly push ac2 on the aux mix you can then bring this up behind the clean drums for a cool distorted but with clarity drum effect.

Cheers

tlester 08-15-2006 04:22 AM

Quote:

I was mixing on a Neve VR last weekend first time for years I came to the conclusion I dont miss large format desks at all a few bits of good quality outboard some great plug ins and your there!

Yeah... but mixing on a Neve VR doesn't count. That's probably the worst sounding Neve in their line up.... and it goes down hill when you engage the panner. I'd probably prefer to mxing ITB over a VR Now... I still enjoy mxing on older Neves (pre AMS) and my favorite is SSL's.

The AC1 and AC2 certainly help with ITB mxing.

-Tom

sirpucho 08-15-2006 08:17 AM

That comment wasn't really about a specific desk it was just an example and most of my large format mixing was on 4000e's and G's and the Cs3000/2000 much maligned by some (unfairly in my opinion I thought it was great for acoustic music for example) and we could debate E v's G v's J v's K (well I couldn't I never used a K or an 88r for that matter to mix) till the cows come home, but personally my point was I love ITB mixing with some nice outboard and I think plug ins like McDSP AC and Sony really help get mixes that whilst not the same as a LFD mix sound just as good in their way. I think digital mixing was missing something that these desks and 2" did untill those programmers saw the need and got to work on it so McDSP and Sony I salute you!