Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Motu ultralite (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=421356)

Dale-c 08-19-2022 06:51 PM

Motu ultralite

I currently have an m-audio Pro Fire. I just put in a low offer on a Motu Ultralite on ebay and won. It's the older firewire only version. It that going to be an upgrade over the profire 610? Same number of preamps but more total I/O. I mostly wanted it for newer drivers.

EGS 08-19-2022 06:58 PM

Re: Motu ultralite

Firewire is dying... If you need to upgrade your audio interface, I'd avoid FW. Lots of new/great/affordable options.

Dale-c 08-20-2022 09:27 AM

I understand that. I wouldn't purchase a new firewire only device. Though Motu still sells several FW/USB combo devices. BUt you can get older FW interfaces for under $100 on ebay.

Sardi 08-20-2022 11:40 AM

Motu ultralite

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale-c (Post 2644964)
I understand that. I wouldn't purchase a new firewire only device. Though Motu still sells several FW/USB combo devices. BUt you can get older FW interfaces for under $100 on ebay.

There’s a reason for that. FW on Macs has been deprecated. It’s functionality could break at some point in the future and Apple will not fix it. If they implement a change to the OS that does somehow affects FW implementation, that’s it. There is no more development.

Also, those FW interfaces for $100 probably don’t have current drivers for modern OS releases. Most manufacturers stop supporting interfaces after a period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

albee1952 08-21-2022 08:47 AM

At least MOTU is more likely to keep updating drivers. M-Audio is pretty much DOA for anything slightly old(and pro fire is more than slightly old...)

Dale-c 08-23-2022 08:34 PM

Yeah, that's the thing. The maudio device hasn't had drivers for years. The motu is supported through Mojave, which happens to be the lastest OS my perpetual works on. And Firewire isn't going to just break as long as I am running it on older macs. And also, firewire still works, even on Apple Silicon you just have to have two adaptors and I think only RME supports it.

But I have a home/hobby studio I don't make any money at this so for me, I get the best bang for the buck going to with older gear.

Dale-c 08-26-2022 07:02 PM

I got it today. For a total cost of about $80, I think it was a good deal for an interface with 8 analog inputs.
It has official driver support up to Mojave, which I need for my version of Pro Tools but it still works in basic form in Catalina, I just didn't get the apps. BUt in Catalina, I just need something to playback through my monitors. I have a dual boot system for PT.