Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   PT Ultimate 2020.5 + HD Native + Omni not playing back (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=418302)

jzzbassss 12-21-2021 09:44 PM

PT Ultimate 2020.5 + HD Native + Omni not playing back

Hi, wondering if I could get some help and opinions with this weird issue that I am having with HD Native. I have searched high and low but can’t seem to find the same problem in previous posts.

Trying to run HD Native + Omni on a 2019 iMac running macOS Mojave 10.14.6 and Pro tools Ultimate 2020.5.0.

The HD Driver is installed, and Digilink license is on ilok.
PT can see the HD Native Thunderbolt, and can be selected in playback engine, but when I try and start playback, PT hangs (the play button flashes continuously but won’t actually play back). When there is a video track in the session, I get the error "Cannot start playback. The network clock is not locked. Please try again."*

HD Native Thunderbolt is showing up with all ins and outs in PT, and word clock has been set as internal.

When using the omni as sound card for the actual Mac itself - and referencing Spotify through the unit - I am also not hearing anything.

*I have reset the OMNI unit, and have reset the PRAM and SMC.
*I have updated the firmware on both the Omni and the HD native unit.
*I have tried multiple buffer sizes and cache sizes in playback engine
*I have made sure that all security permissions are clear with HD driver in system prefs.
*I have tried moving plugins out of plugin folder, as well as opening PT with all plugins disabled.

I will update as I try more things, but I would really appreciate any feedback at all in regards to this issue. It is really twisting my melon, and I am at a bit of a loss at what to actually do from here.

Thanks gang!

*EDIT* Just wanted to add that Omni light is turning green when PT is opened and seems to be connected properly

LDS 12-21-2021 11:23 PM

Re: PT Ultimate 2020.5 + HD Native + Omni not playing back

Sample rate settings and associated clocking can often cause these kinds of issues. I would double check that in your OSX audio midi settings the HD Native card is set to the appropriate sample rate. HD hardware can often default to 192khz. Also confirm that your sync source is set correctly through your hardware settings in Pro Tools. Presumably ‘internal’ if you are only using the Omni.

jzzbassss 12-22-2021 03:42 PM

Thanks for your reply. I double checked Audio Midi and both input and output are set to 48 - which is the same as the unit is displaying, and the same sample rate as the PT session.
Clock is set to internal in Audio Midi settings, as well as in PT.

I just ran a Digitest and both units have Passed as well. I am really stuck here.

Thanks

JFreak 12-22-2021 03:47 PM

Have you tried any other PT version? Mojave is still supported up to current release. Maybe it is a software version that is bugging you.

DetroitT 12-23-2021 05:28 AM

I've run into this.
My workaround,
After trashing AAE prefs.
Turn off omni.
(1 or 2 restarts )*
Uninstall HD Driver -optional
Install HD Driver from ProTools install folder.

Launch app , turn omni on when prompted.
Load session and play should work.

This has been successful for me several times.
Intermittent.
HDX-Omni Mojave

albee1952 12-23-2021 07:57 AM

I may be imagining this, but I remember reading that you need to enable the on-board microphone, or allow PT access to it(something to that effect):o

_JJ_ 12-23-2021 10:57 AM

A couple things to think about... when installing PT or the PT driver, you may need to open the Security & Privacy panel in System Prefs to give the installer permission to complete the operation. This is a weird one because the request doesn't seem to stay there long, so you need to look for it while you're trying to install.

And as albee says, while you're in that Security and Privacy panel click the "Privacy" tab, select microphone, and be sure PT has been granted access.

Finally, you mention trying to assign Mac sounds (and Spotify) to the Omni as if it were a soundcard but I don't think it will play that game. Some have worked around this by going TOSlink out of a Mac to the optical in of the Omni, but I don't think your 2019 iMac has a digital output. So be sure the MacOS is not somehow "holding" the connection to the Omni and preventing PT access.

jzzbassss 12-28-2021 01:53 AM

Thanks for your help all! The fix turned out to be that the HD driver that was installed was not for the exact version of PT, but .2 above it. Was a bit of an oversight on my part as the one offered in download centre was not the right driver to match with the version of PT we had running on the machine, but i should have paid closer attention.
Appreciate the replies they were all helpful.

Now I have it up and running I have run into the OMNI-dead-preamps-issue that I read so much about on these very forums haha. When will it end.