Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Overdub Monitoring is broken in 2020.9.1 With Apollo 8 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412273)

ArKay99 10-16-2020 05:21 PM

Overdub Monitoring is broken in 2020.9.1 With Apollo 8

Strange issue but seems the opposite to the one described here:http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411840.
I have an Apollo 8 on the front end and it worked flawlessly set up as the monitor controller with the proper flags set in the preferences. i.e. overdubbing on a track with a pre-roll set, you could hear the previously recorded audio along with the input to play along with, then at the punch point the pre-recorded audio would drop out and only the input would be heard. Now what happens is, I hear the previous audio and when it punches I hear the audio from the input and the audio through the track, with a slight delay, based on the buffer size. No matter what I do, this is broken. LLM, no LLM, LLM with persistent sends 'fixes' it, sort of, but it mutes any audio coming from the track, so it's useless for overdubbing. The only way I've found to get around this horrible bug is to open the Setup->Playback Engine dialog and close it...no other action needs to happen. However, once I switch to another track and enable it's record button, or switch the same tracks record button off and on the audio is once again heard twice after the punch. Again opening Setup->Playback Engine and closing it fixes it for that operation. This is pretty maddening, especially if you're working with a lot of tracks and going between them. I've trashed prefs and all the other files, rebuilt stuff, done the optimizations, etc. But it's a bug. The good news is my Mac 6.1 is solid as Sears on Catalina and 2020.9.1...except I can't use it to overdub with...any ideas?

ArKay99 10-18-2020 01:16 PM

Re: Overdub Monitoring is broken in 2020.9.1 With Apollo 8

Well, an update to the issue. It's still not fixed, but after cooling off and thinking about this for a while I decided to do some more troubleshooting. I trashed all my prefs, plug-ins (after renaming and moving the folder), emptied the trash, restarted, and let it install the core plug-ins. The problem is still the same. But there is additional info I've uncovered. If I open any of these items in the setup menu: Hardware, Playback Engine, I/O, it 'resets' something and the software works as expected, i.e. listen to audio on the track to be overdubbed on until the punch in, and then see the waveform being recorded, but not hearing it through the machine, and only the input on the front end. Also if I change the record modes at the top of the Options menu (toggle Destructive Record on/off) it works. Again this works only until another track is armed or the current ones record enable is toggled off then back on.

I then did a 'full' uninstall of Pro Tools by trashing the folders described here: How to manually uninstall Pro Tools 11 (or higher) on Mac OS X, copying my Plug-ins folder to a different location and renaming it, did a full Trash preferences operation using PTPrefs (the newest one), dumping the trash can, rebooting and then re-installed PT 2020.9.1.

The problem still exists.

It may have something to do with the driver for the Apollo? It seems to 'fix' the issue whenever the driver is referenced from within Pro Tools. To test that I think I would need another interface (I currently don't have one) and/or uninstall the UAD driver (it's the most current one).

I'm just spitballing here and hopefully someone with some knowledge can chime in with a sanity check and a confirmation I'm doing this correctly or not...

In the meantime, I'm heading off to the UAD forums and see if I can get any info there...

Darryl Ramm 10-18-2020 02:28 PM

You do have another interface it's the Built-In Output in your Mac. If you want an input just to test with as well, you aggregate them together.

ArKay99 10-18-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2580495)
You do have another interface it's the Built-In Output in your Mac. If you want an input just to test with as well, you aggregate them together.

I understand, but I want to eliminate the UAD driver and consequently the Apollo from the system to see if that 'fixes' the input problem, but the inputs live on the Apollo...I'm going to try it anyway.

Darryl Ramm 10-18-2020 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArKay99 (Post 2580501)
I understand, but I want to eliminate the UAD driver and consequently the Apollo from the system to see if that 'fixes' the input problem, but the inputs live on the Apollo...I'm going to try it anyway.

That's what I am saying. Get rid of the UAD stuff to do a simple quick test. Aggregate built in-Input and built-in Output or whatever they are called on your system and leave the Apollo out... test with the built in mic or whatever way you can get any signal into the Mac audio inputs. Connect headphones to the Mac in needed.

ArKay99 10-18-2020 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2580506)
That's what I am saying. Get rid of the UAD stuff to do a simple quick test. Aggregate built in-Input and built-in Output or whatever they are called on your system and leave the Apollo out... test with the built in mic or whatever way you can get any signal into the Mac audio inputs. Connect headphones to the Mac in needed.

Yes, my bad. I thought you were talking about aggregating the Apollo and built in, not the Pro Tools aggregate and built in...duh. I realized that after I did the Apollo and built in and went to set up the I/O... I've got to go to the UAD site and find the procedure for uninstalling the Apollo drivers...there's pref's and stuff.

Darryl Ramm 10-18-2020 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArKay99 (Post 2580507)
Yes, my bad. I thought you were talking about aggregating the Apollo and built in, not the Pro Tools aggregate and built in...duh. I realized that after I did the Apollo and built in and went to set up the I/O... I've got to go to the UAD site and find the procedure for uninstalling the Apollo drivers...there's pref's and stuff.

Oh and I realized you have a 6,1 trashcan... so the easy way to get a mic input is to use a gaming headset with mic into the headset port. Or you can jury rig up a 4 wire 3.5mm plug or buy a splitter cable if you don't have a headset with mic... just thinking the easiest way to do a quick test. Very curious what you find.

ArKay99 10-18-2020 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2580508)
Oh and I realized you have a 6,1 trashcan... so the easy way to get a mic input is to use a gaming headset with mic into the headset port. Or you can jury rig up a 4 wire 3.5mm plug or buy a splitter cable if you don't have a headset with mic... just thinking the easiest way to do a quick test. Very curious what you find.

Lol! You know I've had this thing for about 6 years and never knew there wasn't a dedicated external mic input. I have a 3.5mm stereo male inserted into the headphone output and thought the other one was the mic inout, but it's a line out. I have a game headset, but it's usb, going that route.

ArKay99 10-18-2020 05:38 PM

Well, I plugged the headphones in and they came up as 2 separate devices one for input and one for output. I didn't need to build an aggregate. So, I loaded up Pro Tools, set the I/O for the headphones and mic, and the problem is still there. So, with no UAD OS, driver, and plugs, no plugs except for the cores that get loaded on a fresh install of PT, a fresh install of a fresh download of PT Ultimate 2020.9.1 I still have the problem. Good to know it's not associated with the UAD stuff...hard to swallow I seem to be the only one with the issue.

ArKay99 10-18-2020 06:53 PM

There's one other possible source of corruption. I use twin Raven's and wonder if something is awry with some control. It seems like when the track is armed it's set to auto input by default, even though it's set to input only. Then when I select any dialog that has to do with the audio I/F, I/O settings, Playback Engine, etc. the focus comes off the Raven overlay and goes to the Pro Tools interface, and the record function can then behave as it should. I've got a message into Slate to look into that realm.