Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Freezing A Folder Track Does Not Freeze Its Contents (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=410034)

lesbrunn 05-06-2020 07:27 AM

Freezing A Folder Track Does Not Freeze Its Contents

I was working on a session that was rapidly growing large, so I had my track stacks organized into closed folders, some of them nested. I needed to go back to a smaller buffer size and felt just freezing the closed folders would automatically freeze all the enclosed tracks. It did not! Am I missing something here? Logically, shouldn't freezing a folder also freeze its contents? At the very least there should be the option to do either. Is there a way to do this that I haven't yet discovered?

albee1952 05-06-2020 08:47 AM

Re: Freezing A Folder Track Does Not Freeze Its Contents

Are the Folder Tracks Basic or Routing? Of course, since Folder Tracks are so new, this may be something for a future update:o

huzzam 05-06-2020 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesbrunn (Post 2564646)
I was working on a session that was rapidly growing large, so I had my track stacks organized into closed folders, some of them nested. I needed to go back to a smaller buffer size and felt just freezing the closed folders would automatically freeze all the enclosed tracks. It did not! Am I missing something here? Logically, shouldn't freezing a folder also freeze its contents? At the very least there should be the option to do either. Is there a way to do this that I haven't yet discovered?

Hmm i just saw an avid video which explicitly said that freezing a folder would freeze the contents! Sounds like a bug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lesbrunn 05-07-2020 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huzzam (Post 2564751)
Hmm i just saw an avid video which explicitly said that freezing a folder would freeze the contents! Sounds like a bug

Have you tried it?

lesbrunn 05-07-2020 02:23 AM

I RTFM to learn more about this, and it says "Only the audio output of the Routing Folder track will be frozen (or unfrozen), audio from member tracks that are not routed through the Routing Folder are not included."
Fair enough if unrouted member tracks are not frozen (though I think every member should be frozen), but this implies that member tracks that are routed, should also freeze. That doesn't happen.

JFreak 05-07-2020 03:28 AM

No, not the tracks. The OUTPUT of routing track should freeze.

midnightrambler 05-07-2020 03:58 AM

Yeah if you think of a routing folder as just a re-badged aux track (because, let's face it, that's basically what it is) then it follows the exactly the same rules as an aux track: i.e. if you freeze an aux track, you don't expect all the tracks routed to it to freeze as well.

JFreak 05-07-2020 04:39 AM

Exactly

lesbrunn 05-07-2020 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightrambler (Post 2564794)
Yeah if you think of a routing folder as just a re-badged aux track (because, let's face it, that's basically what it is) then it follows the exactly the same rules as an aux track: i.e. if you freeze an aux track, you don't expect all the tracks routed to it to freeze as well.

OK. That's what it is basically, an aux track on steroids if you will. And that is exactly why I expect more from it. An aux track only routes audio. A routing folder does that, but it's also a container in which tracks are stored. Beside a situation where tracks are not routed through its path, I'd expect the tracks in the container to freeze when the container is frozen. Otherwise apart from purely organizational value, where are the steroids?

Is there anyone here who would say there is no benefit in having member tracks freeze with one click on the folder?

There should be an option for this, just as there are options to either save a closed folder track as a preset with or without its member tracks.

lesbrunn 05-07-2020 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2564793)
No, not the tracks. The OUTPUT of routing track should freeze.

Yes, that too. But the major value of frozen tracks in IM (humble) O is not in freezing audio clips. What's to be gained from that if there are no plugins inserted on the folder? The real benefit is the ability to freeze the whole signal path with its plugins and whatever, thereby easing the CPU load.

All I'm suggesting is that the option should be made available because it's useful, and will save time.