Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Protools 12 quits unexpectedly/ sample library location for sample tank 3 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=423364)

soundartsonline 02-01-2023 04:41 PM

Protools 12 quits unexpectedly/ sample library location for sample tank 3

Mac OS 10.13.6

So...I've had the ST3 libraries on an external drive without issue until that drive started failing.

I had a backup of the libraries on another external drive, but when I point ST3 there within Protools (once I open up the ST3 plugin on an AUX track), I browse and find the directory, and when I click on "ok" or whatever, I get the error message "The application Pro Tools has quit unexpectedly".

What am I doing wrong.

The drive that has a copy of the sample libraries appears to be fully functioning.

What should the path be for this to work properly?

Thank you in advance!

Ben Jenssen 02-02-2023 02:02 AM

Re: Protools 12 quits unexpectedly/ sample library location for sample tank 3

Sampletank is also a standalone application, isn't it? You could try to set the path to the library there, and then it should work in PT.

Sardi 02-02-2023 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2660659)
Sampletank is also a standalone application, isn't it? You could try to set the path to the library there, and then it should work in PT.

A very good suggestion.

IIRC, that was what NI used to suggest for Kontakt etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soundartsonline 02-02-2023 09:48 AM

Ben,

I have moved the libraries to an external drive because they are too large to keep on the hard drive. Not really understanding how to do what you're suggesting. Perhaps you would clarify?

I have used a standalone with another plugin, but not ST3.

Thanks!

Lisa

Ben Jenssen 02-02-2023 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundartsonline (Post 2660706)
Ben,
I have moved the libraries to an external drive because they are too large to keep on the hard drive. Not really understanding how to do what you're suggesting. Perhaps you would clarify?
I have used a standalone with another plugin, but not ST3.
Thanks!
Lisa

Some plugins have a version that does not need to be used inside a program like protools, a so-called "standalone" app. Very common with virtual instruments.

If you did a standard installation of Sampletank, you'll find this standalone app in your applications folder. Open it and find the setting for library location. When you've linked Sampletank to the library folder, quit, and open PT and the sampletank plugin should remember the new setting.

soundartsonline 02-02-2023 03:15 PM

Thanks Ben for those tips there! Very helpful!

So it turns out that upon closer inspection the sample libraries vanished from that external disk I mentioned, or perhaps were never fully copied over, although last night they appeared to be there. Who the heck knows....

In any case, thank God I have a back up of the libraries and am copying them over to a completely clean, unused, brand new seagate drive and am hoping all will be well once done.

Another thing I found was that the disk aforementioned actually did NOT have enough room on it to properly copy over all of the samples. My poor little exhausted and now irreparable drive that died on me probably couldn't take it anymore for having to deal with the sample tank libraries.

All in a day's effort for anyone working in a DAW.

I'm grateful for this forum. It's good to know that issues like this and many others can be effectively and efficiently addressed.

Lisa:-)