Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Digi - please add this to compatibility testing (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=18804)

Lee Blaske 01-28-2001 02:14 PM

Digi - please add this to compatibility testing

I just had a look at the compatibility testing schedule for the new 2001 G4's, and it looks like things are moving along rapidly.

I would, however, like to see an addition to the testing schedule.

Since the new G4's have four slots plus an AGP slot, the slots are now there to accomodate a dual monitor configuration (using two cards) with an expansion chassis, SCSI card, and video capture card.

A single card capable of supporting two monitors (like the Appian) is still a good idea for those wishing to function without an expansion chassis.

It would be nice to know, however, whether a two card system would work. The advantage, hopefully, would be snappy monitor performance, and the ability to do DVD playback (which will be even more important once Apple releases their new DVD recording drive).

The problem in the past with using two video cards was the high likelihood of -6042 (PCI bus too busy) errors. The new 2001 G4's, however, have a new architecture, and supposedly the PCI throughput is greatly increased.

It would be wonderful to know if, in fact, a dual monitor card configuration would be possible.

To keep things simple, I don't think Digidesign needs to test a wide range of cards. Just test Apple's BTO configuration with the stock card in the AGP slot, and the additional card they offer (a Rage 128, I believe).

It would be nice to know if this worked.

I'm getting antsy to upgrade my 9600/350, but everytime I'm on the verge of doing so, I read a few more G4 problem posts. Truthfully, I don't think the 9600/350 is really holding me back that much, but this is the longest I've gone without upgrading my CPU since I started using Digi equipment way back when.

Perky monitor performance is important to me. Actually, if I finally get the guts (and a decent break in my schedule) to make the jump, I think it would almost be worth the gamble (150 bucks from Apple's BTO site) to experiment before buying an Appian.

How much more robust *is* the PCI bus on the new G4's? Has anyone put one through a torture test yet?

Lee Blaske

[This message has been edited by Lee Blaske (edited January 28, 2001).]

mixinmono 02-02-2001 08:09 PM

Re: Digi - please add this to compatibility testing

I would chime in with Lee here.

We need to grasp PCI load. A typical pro system on those 4 PCI, 1 AGP machines would have 2 monitor cards, a video capture card, the PCI Expansion chassis card, and the SCSI Card (at least until FireWire is dealed into the Digi equation; freeing the SCSI card slot... for a 3rd monitor?...).

In the chassis: the Core card and - say - 4 Farms. That is a lot of PCI stuff happeneing. Audio, display and video have to be as smooth on 'cool' 9600s, but everything 'working' faster, right? test test test please...

[This message has been edited by mixinmono (edited February 02, 2001).]

Bryan 02-04-2001 12:14 AM

Re: Digi - please add this to compatibility testing

Hi Lee,

I just took the plunge and ordered a dual 533 and cinema display. I am nervous about going to one monitor, but I'm hoping the increased resolution of these digital monitors (have you seen how amazingly crisp these things are!) will allow me to get by.

Of course, the real zinger is extending the digital video signal. Still wrapping my head around it. I made the mistake of quickly checking the Gefen website, saw that they had a solution for extending ADC and then went ahead and ordered my computer. Of course, when I went to order said extender it turns out to be 6 weeks out from availability and priced at the military caliber amount of $2700. Good lord. Fiber optics ain't cheap I guess.

A dude on the board here says that they have built there own, so my tech is going to give that a try.

As for dual-monitor support, do the BTO cards have both ADC and analog outs?