Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Assign automation to a fader or knob on Digi002? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=158152)

jtbullitt 01-20-2006 05:14 PM

Assign automation to a fader or knob on Digi002?

My apologies if this is basic/obvious/already been answered a million times, but I can't seem to find it mentioned anywhere in the Digi docs, this conference, or in my ProTools books...

Can anyone tell me how to assign an automation control to a real-world physical knob or fader on the Digi-002? I'd like to record a couple of automation parameters simultaneously by tweaking a couple of sliders or knobs at once, rather than just by shoving the mouse pointer around on the screen.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

- John

da critic 01-20-2006 05:34 PM

Re: Assign automation to a fader or knob on Digi002?

this is not ant accuall reply to this message i have a question. i,m trying to assign automation of a plug in to a curtain section of a vocal and its putting the plug in on the whole vocal and not just that section can anyone help me!!!!!!

filosofem 01-20-2006 05:45 PM

Re: Assign automation to a fader or knob on Digi002?

jtbullitt and da critic

Automation

Pro Tools Tips and Techniques Plug-in Automation

filosofem

jtbullitt 01-20-2006 06:09 PM

Re: Assign automation to a fader or knob on Digi00

Thanks, filosofem, for the reply. Alas, those references don't quite address my original problem.

In all the automation examples I've seen (like the one in that nifty DiskFlix demo that you mentioned), the plug-in automation parameters are "performed" by pushing the mouse around. Is there a way instead to "perform" the automation by twirling a knob on the Digi002 hardware?

Thanks!

- John

filosofem 01-20-2006 06:26 PM

jtbullitt

Quote:

those references don't quite address my original problem.

Quite right you are, but have a look at the section "Automation Accurancy with Control Surfaces". This may not be an option for you. Sorry I should've read your post a little more carefully. I don't own a Control Surface so I wouldn't be able to help and someone with a Control Surface will be able to confirm this, but have you tried holding down Ctrl+Windows+Alt and moving a fader?

filosofem

jtbullitt 01-20-2006 06:57 PM

Thanks, filosofem, for the hints, which led me to the answer to my original question:

It appears that the Digi-002 does not support automatable faders or knobs. The rotary encoders on the Command|8 control surface are, however, automatable. So, with a Digi-002 the only way to "perform" plug-in automation is by mouse. Oh well.

Of course, if anyone can convince me otherwise, I'm listening!

- John

YttriumMusic 01-20-2006 09:35 PM

Quote:

It appears that the Digi-002 does not support automatable faders or knobs. The rotary encoders on the Command|8 control surface are, however, automatable. So, with a Digi-002 the only way to "perform" plug-in automation is by mouse. Oh well.

Of course, if anyone can convince me otherwise, I'm listening!

???? I record automation all the time from my Digi 002 ??? What, exactly, are you trying to automate? If these are plug-in parameters, does the plug-in support control surfaces?

I have done track volume, panning, muting, and a few plug-in parameters on my 002 without any problem. I just use the control surface instead of the mouse. (I've even done both--switching between the keyboard and the control surface)

Why have a control surface if it doesn't support automation?

Out of curiousity, are you able to record ANY automation on your 002? For example, if you enable track volume or panning, does that automation get recorded from the 002?

jtbullitt 01-21-2006 01:43 PM

Quote:

What, exactly, are you trying to automate?

For example: The center frequency of a notch filter in the Waves Q10 Parametric Equalizer (a plugin in one of the Waves bundles). How do I set things up so that by turning a knob on the 002 I can control the center frequency of that filter?

Quote:

If these are plug-in parameters, does the plug-in support control surfaces?

I'm assuming that Waves plugins support control surfaces.

Quote:

Out of curiousity, are you able to record ANY automation on your 002? For example, if you enable track volume or panning, does that automation get recorded from the 002?

Oh, yes. I do that all the time. The basic (non-plug-in) functions like pan and volume work just fine. I just can't figure out how to get the 002's faders and rotary encoders to control RTAS plugin parameters.

You said that you've automated "a few plug-in parameters on my 002". I'd love to know how you did that.

Thanks.

YttriumMusic 01-21-2006 05:23 PM

Quote:

You said that you've automated "a few plug-in parameters on my 002". I'd love to know how you did that.

OK, I don't have any Waves plug-ins, so I can't tell you how to do exactly what you want. But this works for me.

1) Set the track to record automation (Generally, set at "write" if there is nothing there before)
2) Set the automation window to record automation for plug-ins. (I generally make sure it gets ONLY what I want so I don't accidentally automate volume or something else I didn't intend)
3) On the Digi002, select the "Insert" button and select the plug-in that you want to automate.
4) Using the "Page" button, find the page with the parameter you want. The scribble strips will have (poor) 4 character abbreviations of each parameter. I think there is a way to get focus to follow the control surface, but it's been a while since I've done this.
5) You can use the rotary encoder immediately below the parameter that you want to automate *OR* you can use the flip button to send it to the faders for more precise control.

That's it. I don't remember ever doing anything extra to make it work. Are you able to access the plug-in parameters from the 002? If so, I'd imagine that you can automate it at that point, especially if your mouse movements work in automation.

jtbullitt 01-24-2006 07:03 AM

Quote:

OK, I don't have any Waves plug-ins, so I can't tell you how to do exactly what you want. But this works for me.

1)....

Ah, brilliant! Your step-by-steps worked like a charm. Now I can tweak all my plugins to my heart's content using the faders. You've opened the door for me to a whole new world in the 002.

Many, many thanks.

- John

P.S. I guess now I should finally read the manual to see what other important features I've been missing. ("Oh, you mean that little rocker switch in the back turns the 002 on? I always wondered what that thing did.")