Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ProControl, Control|24, Command|8 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How to do +12 fader on ProControl ? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=104407)

EasyStreet 04-27-2004 08:56 AM

How to do +12 fader on ProControl ?

I've been waiting about a week for somebody else to ask the dumb question - so here goes:

In the new PT version 6.4 we can do +12 on a channel fader (instead of +6).
Anybody know how this will work on a ProControl, whose top range of the fader is stenciled at +6?
Will it just say +6 and BE +12, will it be a setting, what?

ekuehnl 04-27-2004 10:05 AM

Re: How to do +12 fader on ProControl ?

Quote:

Will it just say +6 and BE +12,

Yes.

Quote:

will it be a setting, what?

When you make a new session you will be able to choose +6 or +12. The first time you open an older session Pro Tools will ask if you want to switch it to a +12 session. The automation data will not change (it will still be based on +6), but subsequent automation passes can take advantage of +12.

Be aware that changing the session to +12 may cause problems if you take it back to a +6 system. Any data above +6 will simply plateau at +6.

charles maynes 04-27-2004 10:11 AM

One of the people I work with has 6.4 LE, and here is what I found-

There is a choice when creating sessions to use the standard "+6" volume behavior, or the new "+12" behavior" It seems that the best way to deal with it outside of 6.4 is to simply put a trim plugin on your master buss and set it for +6 before you start mixing.

I think this would be fine for 24 bit sessions, but Dither would be needed.

Charles Maynes

Rail Jon Rogut 04-29-2004 04:03 PM

Quote:

It seems that the best way to deal with it outside of 6.4 is to simply put a trim plugin on your master buss and set it for +6 before you start mixing.

No... -1dB on 6.4 would still be -1dB on 6.1.x and earlier.. but if you place a trim plug-in with +6dB your -1 on 6.4 will be +5dB.

If you plan to go back to an earlier version of Pro Tools I suggest keep using +6dB as your max fader value.

Rail

charles maynes 04-29-2004 05:03 PM

Rail-

Thanks for the info-

I have not used 6.4, but only got the info from the LE system we have here.

A question though-

If you start a session in the +12 mode, then move it on to a non 6.4 system, does the level drop 6db? I am curious, because it could cause all sorts of session compatibility problems.

I would think that the 6.4 mixer would handle this, but earlier mixers would be unaware of the session pref.

Best Regards-

Charles Maynes

Rail Jon Rogut 04-29-2004 11:03 PM

Any volume level above 6dB will plateau at +6dB.. everything else will be the same.

Rail

CLee 05-04-2004 11:31 AM

So if your PC says +6 at the top of the fader but your gain in PT is +12 is zero going to be at zero or -6 (which isn't marked) ?

Rail Jon Rogut 05-04-2004 02:52 PM

Zero is always zero.. it's a simple matter that instead of 6dB above zero.. you have the option of +12dB like on a normal analog console.

Rail

CLee 05-05-2004 09:21 AM

I was just wondering how that lines up with the gain scale screening on the faders

Rail Jon Rogut 05-08-2004 03:03 PM

Quote:

I was just wondering how that lines up with the gain scale screening on the faders

Zero will be zero - and where it is screened +6dB would be +12dB. If this is an issue for you.. simply always keep your sessions at +6dB.

Rail