Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   MTRX Studio DADman-Network Connection Error (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411084)

pablovius 07-09-2020 02:47 PM

MTRX Studio DADman-Network Connection Error

1 Attachment(s)
Has anybody seen this?

Out of the box MTRX Studio is seen on the network, but cannot connect. Connection Error Code: 0x80004005

Selecting DHCP crashes (or re-boots) unit but then same.

Tried on both home and studio networks, same message.

btw Avid support can't seem to get back to me after several days in the "high priority" line , so that's a bummer....

creativecontrol 07-09-2020 02:54 PM

Re: MTRX Studio DADman-Network Connection Error

Greetings,

Can you try to put in a manual address into the same subnet range? Settings > Device List > Right-Click on the unit address and choose Network Settings. Then Right-Click on Restart for the unit. I presume you are running DADman 5.4.2.1, yes? What OS are you on currently?

Jeff

pablovius 07-09-2020 03:17 PM

thanks for being there Jeff....

Problem solved Jeff, I was running Dadman vs 5.3.4.3 which was the latest from DAD.. 5.4.2.1 did the trick (From Avid's page)

cheers

creativecontrol 07-09-2020 03:18 PM

Glad to hear it!

best,

Jeff

Matt Stephanson 11-03-2020 09:21 AM

Hi all - I have a similar connection issue, but it's error 0x8000001 in DADman.
I've set the MTRX to match my subnet at 255.255.0.0
MTRX has the IP 10.16.2.62, router is on 10.16.255.253.
MTRX ethernet port 1 is connected directly to 2019 Mac Pro ethernet port 2.

Mac has the address 10.16.2.63
Mac is on subnet mask 255.255.0.0
Router is 10.16.255.253

I can see the IP address of the MTRX appear in DADman but when I click on the Connect box, I get the Connection Error code 0x80000001.

I've tried recovery mode, but just can't get past this error.
Can anyone figure this one out?
Thanks very much, DUC!!
Matt

creativecontrol 11-04-2020 05:55 AM

Greetings,

You need to correlate the IP and Subnet of the Workstation and the MTRX device.

Take a look at your System Preferences > Network and Settings > Device List > Network Settings (Right Click on IP address) in DADman.

If you have a router -> simply ensure that your workstation and the MTRX device are set to DHCP under Network Settings. Perhaps some quick screen grabs may be helpful.

Jeff

Matt Stephanson 11-05-2020 08:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Jeff,

Thank you so much for your help on this!!
I've finally got it showing up in DADman, but I'm confused a bit on the IP side of things. When I went to add a path from my Mac in Dante Controller, it only lists the Mac on the matrix grid, not the connected MTRX or the OMNI (via digilink)

I've got the MTRX Studio set to DHCP, but the DVS set to a fixed address (this may be my issue).

Here's a couple screen grabs, and again THANK YOU a bunch, Jeff!
Matt

Matt Stephanson 11-09-2020 03:32 PM

OK,
DADman is seeing the MTRX and the Digilink (OMNI). I have a green triangle and locked.
But I'm getting a strange digital whine around 10K, just under 0dBFS - the signal shows up on the MTRX meters 1-8.

I've connected the OMNI and the MTRX with Loop and WC cables (MTRX WC OUT > OMNI WC IN, OMNI Loop OUT > MTRX Loop IN).
I've connected the MTRX port 1 to the OMNI digilink port 1, and the OMNI port 2 digilink to the OMNI TB box.

Also, I am not seeing the OMNI or the MTRX appear in the choices under Pro Tools' Audio Engine. I just see Dante Virtual Soundcard.

I must have these cables messed up, but the manual just says to connect it this way. Anyone see what I'm doing wrong here?
A little nudge would really be appreciated, :)

Matt Stephanson 12-03-2020 10:29 AM

Ok, I checked all my cables, tried different combos, but still stuck. I'm not getting any noise now, but still cannot see the MTRX or the HDN Omni in the pLayback engine, or in Audio Midi Prefs.

Again, is anyone out there using the MTRX Studio with an HDN TB Omni setup?
I thought this was possible, but it seems maybe I need to buy a now deprecated PCIe card for HDN, or shell out for an HDX card.

Thanks for any help anyone can give; I've opened a case with Avid 4 days ago and have not yet had a response, so any help would be falling on a desperate and thankful struggler! :)

creativecontrol 12-03-2020 11:06 AM

Greetings,

I would recommend picking a single clocking format and stick with it. Distributed Word Clock works well, including star clock. For your application, assuming no other digital devices like verbs, MTRX Studio Word Out -> HD OMNI Word In.

If you choose Loop Sync you need to complete the Loop:
MTRX Studio Loop Out -> HD OMNI Loop In -> HD OMNI Loop Out -> MTRX Studio Loop In.

I would also HIGHLY recommend updating to the latest version of DADman (5.4.4.2) and then apply the latest MTRX Studio firmware which is available in your Avid account. Let me know how it goes.

best,

Jeff

Matt Stephanson 12-03-2020 11:14 AM

Thank you, Jeff!
Will follow your steps and report back.
Cheers,
Matt

Matt Stephanson 01-11-2021 08:38 AM

Thanks for the help, Jeff!
Sorry I've been on holiday since Dec 3 (had to use up some time).

I've set things the way you suggested and the physical LEDs on the OMNI are showing that it's clocking via WC.

The problem now is (sorry, and thanks!!!!), the MTRX does not appear in the PT Playback engine list. Well, it never has yet.
I see the Dante Virtual Soundcard in the list, but it's only 8 channels.
I also don't even see the OMNI HD TB Native showing up, so I must have corrupted my install of Pro Tools. I'll try reinstalling it all today, but if you have any sneaking suspicion based on what you know of how I've set this up, I'm all ears, and starting to almost wonder if I have a bad cable somewhere.

As always, much appreciated for helping!
:-)

creativecontrol 01-11-2021 11:01 AM

Greetings,

Neither MTRX nor HD OMNI are playback engines. They are DigiLink interfaces attached to an engine such as HD Native Thunderbolt or HDX.

If you have HD Native Thunderbolt, make sure the little red light on the front by the headphone output is lit. If not, quit PT, unplug and plug the thunderbolt on your HDNTB. Try again.

Regarding DVS, open Dante Virtual Soundcard (stop it if it is running), click on the Audio Channels pop-up and choose up to 64x64 channels. Make sure your Network Status is valid for the connection speed and subnet it indicates.

Jeff

Matt Stephanson 01-12-2021 08:40 AM

Thanks again, Jeff!
I've changed it to 64 ch.
Now to build my monitor profile for the 7.1 outs, system audio, etc.
Cheers!

creativecontrol 01-12-2021 09:59 AM

Here's a pool of Monitor Profiles for MTRX Studio you can play with:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uxty86enf...buMixkJka?dl=0

Let me know if you have any questions.

best,

Jeff

Matt Stephanson 01-12-2021 12:10 PM

Thanks, I've copied these and tried to load the Default 7.1, but get this error:
Quote:

DADman cannot find this unit:
Serial Number MTRXST-100005
Please check that the unit is connected and turned on.
This matrix is so simple, it's got me baffled!
Here's a shot of what I'm trying to set up in the profile, but I'm confused as to where the Digilink (OMNI in this case) is in terms of channel number. They are "x"ed out channels 1-8.

https://wholetonesound.com/dadman.jpg

I want to be able to get 16 ch into the MTRX Studio from my mixing desk, and be able to monitor in 7.1 using the 8 analog outs on the OMNI. Just the routing now has me stumped.

I've tried a few configs, but . . . just not clicking in this old head!
Given my setup, could you recommend a profile?

Thanks so much, I've been such a pain.
:(

creativecontrol 01-12-2021 01:01 PM

Simply go to File > Open Profile > and pick one of the .dmprof files.

Yes, you will get an error basically warning you that the file you've chosen was created on a unit with a different serial number. Not a problem. Do this:

Simply hit Cancel once you get the error. Navigate to Settings > Monitor Profile > Select your unit from the pop-up menu. Tick Enable Monitor.

I'm not sure I understand why you don't want to monitor to your 7.1 speakers through the MTRX Studio? Can you explain why you want to use the HD OMNI instead? FYI - any assignment to that DigiLink interface would only happen in Pro Tools - not in DADman.

Also - the little black [x] shown in the Con panel indicate that output resources are allocated to the Monitor Section and therefore a patch can not be completed to that particular output.

best,

Jeff

LDS 01-12-2021 01:05 PM

You only have 32 digilink I/O showing in the routing matrix. I suspect these all reflect the digilink connections between the MTRX studio and Pro Tools/HD Native - your assigned monitor profile with monitor outputs on digilink 1-8 are actually sending your monitor signals straight back into Pro Tools on inputs 1 through 8.

It is the second time a similar question has popped up in recent weeks without an answer, and there doesn't seem to be any info about it in the manual. Does a second Digilink interface attached to the expansion port of a DAD interface result in it appearing in the DADman routing matrix? Traditionally an interface attached to the expansion port of another is passed straight through to Pro Tools.

I have no idea about the intricacies of it. The only thought I have is to check how the digilink I/O is set in DADman (bottom panel where Sync settings are). Digilink mode should be set to Pri/Exp. From there, I would check to see where the Omni is and isn't appearing in both the DADman routing matrix and in the Pro Tools hardware menu.

creativecontrol 01-12-2021 01:22 PM

I would need more details on your use case to make a recommendation on how to deploy your specific system.

A few things regarding DigiLink settings...

If you have a MTRX Studio with HDNTB or HDX - I would recommend the following for DigiLink in the Conf section of DADman:
DigiLink Mode: Pri/Pri - which is Dual Primary.

Connect both DigiLink cables from Port 1 MTRX ST -> Port 1 HDNTB and Port 2 MTRX ST -> Port 2 HDNTB. This will give you 64 channels of bidirectional audio from MTRX to Pro Tools.

Assuming you have MTRX Studio + another HD series interface like an HD Omni, I would still set the DigiLink Mode to Pri/Pri and connect one interface to each of the 2 DigiLink connections on the engine (HDNTB or HDX) card. Such as: HD OMNI Port 1 -> HDNTB Port 1, MTRX ST Port 1 -> HDNTB Port 2.

Now, let's assume you have 2x HD IO + a MTRX Studio? What to do?

Here's what I would recommend:
(Pri/Pri) MTRX Studio Port 1 -> Port 1 of HDNTB
Port 2 of HDNTB -> HD IO A
DigiLink out of HD IO A (expansion) -> primary port of HD IO B.

How about 3 HD IO + MTRX Studio? Let's go!
(Pri/Exp) MTRX Studio Port 1 -> Port 1 of HDNTB
Out of Expansion (Port 2) of HDNTB -> Primary of HD IO A.
HD IO B connects to HDNTB Port 2
Out of HD IO B Expansion into HD IO C Primary.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

LDS 01-12-2021 02:53 PM

Good to know, Jeff. I guess that implies the expansion port works exactly the same way it ever has?

Matt Stephanson 01-12-2021 05:28 PM

Thanks again, Jeff + others!

I’m sending the 7.1 mon outs thru to the omni because i wanted to have the mtrx do the ad and da for the console i/o. 16 lines into the asp4816 for mics, 16 lines out of the mixer into the mtrx studio - then 16 out from Pro Tools back into the mixer for analog mixing.

I figured it’d be easy to set up the omni as a mon setup
I’m rethinking this now, as the da is likely nicer out of the mtrx anyway.
Then I’d just be using the omni for ch 9-16 out to the mixer (1-8 fr. the mtrx).

I will give this a shot tomorrow.
Anyway, thanks for these thought-provoking insights and questions.
This is a great forum - glad it’s (and you’re) here!
Matt

creativecontrol 01-12-2021 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDS (Post 2590207)
Good to know, Jeff. I guess that implies the expansion port works exactly the same way it ever has?

Indeed. The DigiLink functionality on the MTRX Studio as well as the MTRX hasn't changed very much. There was additional work done when we added the DigiLink expansion cards for MTRX to ensure that the nomenclature made sense for lots of DigiLink IO.

best,

Jeff

gives 01-12-2021 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pablovius (Post 2572095)
thanks for being there Jeff....

Problem solved Jeff, I was running Dadman vs 5.3.4.3 which was the latest from DAD.. 5.4.2.1 did the trick (From Avid's page)

cheers

Jeff IS THE MAN! He helped me on some Dolby stuff a month ago.

G

Matt Stephanson 01-13-2021 12:13 PM

*Hangs head in shame for ongoing saga of my bungling.* :o

Ok, I've created my monitor profile and labeled everything I need.
I've also switched the wiring so the Mons are fed from the MTRX, instead of the OMNI, as Jeff suggested.

My setup is 16 lines out from the mixer to the MTRX Studio, then 8 out from Dante to the DA of the MTRX into my 7.1 mons.
Then I have 8 out from the MTRX into the mixer 1-8 DAW inputs, and 8 out from the OMNI for mixer in 9-16 (to do analog mixing).

If it's easier, I'm posting my profile for inspection here, as it's kinda hard to explain all the crosspoints, etc. The zip contains my profile and dms.

I'm still not getting audio into or out of the MTRX Studio, so not sure if it's my matrix layout, or what. All show green lock circles in DADman.

I've routed everything in Pro Tools accordingly, and also in Dante Controller app.

Thanks for any ideas.

creativecontrol 01-13-2021 01:37 PM

Your Monitor Profile shows a single 7.1 SMPTE ordered Source called Control Room and a single Output set called Neumann 7.1 which is also in SMPTE order assigned to DA Line Outs 1-8.

I would ask if you have meter deflection in the following places:

(1) In Dante Controller (Device View) focusing on MTRX ST - Receive Tab should show Green speakers if your Dante stream is getting there.

(2) In DADman -> you should see meter deflection both on the Source Input fader of your CR Monitor (Mon) as well as in the patchbay (Con section).

Jeff

Matt Stephanson 01-18-2021 08:46 AM

Hi Jeff,

1. Thanks, my speaker icons in Dante Controller app are greyed out under the "Signal" column. Under the "Status" column, they are showing green checkmarks, just like in the main matrix view of the app (showing the transmitters and receivers).

2. I am not seeing any meters for DA or AD moving in DADman. I'm only seeing the physical meter move on the MTRX ST hardware when I plug a mic into the onboard micro #1. However, this mic does not show meter movement in DADman.

It must not be connecting to the Mac Dante or something?
Argh, wish I could buy you a beverage!

creativecontrol 01-18-2021 09:41 AM

It sounds like you are not getting a valid Dante stream coming into your MTRX hardware. Here's what an active stream should look like:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ovkixihpz...Tream.png?dl=0

This example shows Dante Virtual Soundcard (computer name = RADCLIFFroad) from my computer actively streaming into the MTRX hardware.

It would be helpful if you posted some screengrabs from device info, clock status and network status.

Also - have you verified that you are on the latest firmware plus the current version of DADman?

best,

Jeff

Matt Stephanson 01-18-2021 09:49 AM

3 Attachment(s)
THanks, here's those shots attached:

creativecontrol 01-18-2021 10:15 AM

Looks like your DVS clock is not locked to PTP. Here's an article from the Audinate knowledge base:

https://www.audinate.com/learning/fa...nte-controller

Jeff

Matt Stephanson 01-18-2021 10:21 AM

OK, I was on 5.4.2.1 now on latest 5.4.4.2.
I was on 1.0,0,1 firmware, now on 1.0,3.2.

Immediately I see the mic from the MTRXst rear panel deflecting!
No DA metering yet, but one step closer!

Once the unit restarted after firmware update, the drum loop in pro tools that was playing played out over my surround speakers - but only for about 1.5 seconds, then stopped.

Feel so close . . .:-)

Matt Stephanson 01-18-2021 10:31 AM

I'm trying to change it to forward everything to the Mac, but can't find that switch in Dante Controller to do that.

creativecontrol 01-18-2021 01:28 PM

You are running on a new 7,1 Mac Pro correct? If so, you need to use an external USB-C to Ethernet adapter if you want to run Dante Virtual Soundcard. It is a known issue with Audinate regarding the built-in 10G Ethernet ports. I believe that would explain your DVS Dante issues.

Many different version of these work including these:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/H...hernet-adapter

Let us know.

Jeff

Matt Stephanson 01-18-2021 01:32 PM

Aha!
Thanks for that critical piece of info, Jeff!

That explains why it would work for a second or two, then drop out.
I'll order one and when hooked up, report back.

I want to thank you for your professionalism, knowledge, and most importantly - your patience!

Cheers,
Matt

Marsdy 01-18-2021 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Stephanson (Post 2590660)
Aha!
Thanks for that critical piece of info, Jeff!

That explains why it would work for a second or two, then drop out.
I'll order one and when hooked up, report back.

I want to thank you for your professionalism, knowledge, and most importantly - your patience!

Cheers,
Matt

Matt
A quick word on external USB-C to Ethernet adapters. Some of them need a driver and it’s not always straightforward getting and installing one. I ended up with the Belkin adapter that doesn’t need a driver and has worked flawlessly.

Matt Stephanson 01-18-2021 09:31 PM

Thanks, I will give that one a shot.

Update: I just bought a Belkin and an Insignia, and neither show up in DVS. They appear in Apple Sys Prefs under Network and can connect, just not seeing it in DVS or Dante Controller.

Do we need to purchase the Dante Domain Manager to enrol the adaptor into DVS?

Matt Stephanson 01-19-2021 12:58 PM

I just bought a Belkin and an Insignia, and neither show up in DVS. They appear in Apple Sys Prefs under Network and can connect, just not seeing it in DVS or Dante Controller.

Do we need to purchase the Dante Domain Manager to enrol the adaptor into DVS?

creativecontrol 01-19-2021 02:43 PM

Greetings.

The recommended adapter should show up as Belkin USB-C LAN under System Preferences > Network.

Once you have a valid connection and IP addresses there - head over to Dante Controller - where you choose a Dante interface that looks like this: (5th button from the left):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6c6qwz9l97...rface.png?dl=0

Choose the same Network Interface in DVS.

Jeff

Matt Stephanson 01-20-2021 08:25 AM

Well, the adaptor works! I'm using the Belkin (with charger, they didn't have the plain one in stock) and have it all working now!!

Break out the bubbly and *bows low in thanks* a hearty thanks to Jeff and everyone on this thread for helping out. I'm very glad you're there and hope anyone else struggling with this setup can find these tips.

Now I'm just hoping to get the monitor volume knob working again on the MTRXst. I can't seem to get it controlling DADman, although DADman faders all do the expected thing.

Man, I'm really loving the sound of this thing - a HUGE upgrade from our OMNI!!!

Thanks again,
Matt :-) :D

creativecontrol 01-20-2021 08:40 AM

Glad you got it going!

If you want to email me we can examine the assignments for the front panel controls for the monitor profile if you want.

best,

Jeff

jeff.komar@avid.com