Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Mild Upgrade (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=419201)

basslik 03-08-2022 05:11 PM

Mild Upgrade

been on the Digi 003 for over a decade, as well as my 2010 Mac Pro. The Pro is good enough for what I do.

Anyone recommend a better interface that's perhaps newer but still firewire.

I was thinking the Aurora 16, but seems old, although great convertors.

But perhaps something newer, and maybe USB2 ?

THANKS

JoelG 03-09-2022 04:37 AM

Re: Mild Upgrade

I'd move on from Firewire personally.

What is your price point?
How many pre's?
What OS version?

I've been happy with my Scarlette 18i20 (1st gen) and still have my old ProFire 2626 connected to it via ADAT for 16 mic pre total.

Joel

basslik 03-10-2022 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoelG (Post 2629551)

How many pre's?
What OS version?

I've been happy with my Scarlette 18i20 (1st gen) and still have my old ProFire 2626 connected to it via ADAT for 16 mic pre total.

Joel

JoelG thanks for chiming in.

My price point is $2,000.

Yeah I agree to move away from firewire.
Although I do dig my 2010 Mac pro, 128ram and running Opencore with a 8GIG metal card, and benching pretty darn close to the new Mac Pro's that are ridiculously over priced IMO.

It doesn't have to be something over the top, but slightly better that the 003 convertor's. I also run a Digimax FS that I think they are useful for the Pre's.

Mostly use the Presonus ADL600 for full kit overheads that I'm happy with and use a TL Audio PA1 for cleaner stuff on guitars.

I lack on the convertor department, and the pres are doable for now until I get the 828 for drums.

Thank you in advance.

EGS 03-10-2022 04:53 PM

Maybe this? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-interface

basslik 03-10-2022 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGS (Post 2629664)

I believe that's Thunderbolt 3. 2010 mac Pro won't support Thunderbolt 3.

Allegro does have a PCIe type C, but it doesn't support thunderbolt.

Anything else that might work?, thank you.

Sardi 03-11-2022 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basslik (Post 2629672)
I believe that's Thunderbolt 3. 2010 mac Pro won't support Thunderbolt 3.

No it’s not. It’s USB.

Also, how are you benchmarking your 2010 MP against the CMP? I find it VERY hard to believe that your CPU power is on par with the CMP.

Last time I looked, 6 core Intel Minis were outperforming the old Mac Pros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DetroitT 03-11-2022 10:59 AM

Used Orpheus by Prism Sound.
Firewire, great sounding.

basslik 03-11-2022 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2629687)
No it’s not. It’s USB.

Also, how are you benchmarking your 2010 MP against the CMP? I find it VERY hard to believe that your CPU power is on par with the CMP.

Last time I looked, 6 core Intel Minis were outperforming the old Mac Pros.
Please let me rephrase that cause of course a decade difference. With the available upgrades for the 2010, remember before it couldn't even access I believe more that 16gigs of ram on the OS, Opencore it can use a over 900 gigs tested, 4K accelleration, xeon 3.46 server CPU's they are beastly. On barefeet some benches the 2010 yield better results, but of course you are right. Although the upgrades just smoke like fire on an old workhorse (LOL).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please let me rephrase that cause of course a decade difference. With the available upgrades for the 2010, remember before it couldn't even access I believe more that 16gigs of ram, Opencore it can use a over 900 gigs tested, 4K , xeon 3.46 server CPU's they are beastly. On barefeet some benches the 2010 yield better results, but of course you are right. Although the upgrades just smoke like fire on an old workhorse (LOL).

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetroitT (Post 2629722)
Used Orpheus by Prism Sound.
Firewire, great sounding.

I called a sales rep and that is great news on the scarlette. I saw the type C connector and thought that won't work, but I guess the other end will be USB 2.0

Orpheus I'll look into. I haven't heard of them much, but what I have heard are great.

Thank you all immensely, and anymore suggestions are greatly appreciated.

basslik 03-15-2022 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoelG (Post 2629551)

How many pre's?
What OS version?

Joel

JoelG how you liking the Scarlette 18i20 ?

JoelG 03-15-2022 08:16 PM

It has been solid for me. For the amount of I/O you get for the money, and a brand with a decent reputation I don't think you can go wrong.

The Scarlette Mix Control is quite powerful and can provide a lot of routing options, but it can be a bit much to get a handle on. It is quite similar to my ProFire 2626 software, so I didn't find it too bad. I still have the 2626 connect to ADAT for another 8 mic pre's.

Joel