Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Carbon (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   More Carbon Sync Issues...Must Get Solved... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417631)

tomhartman 11-02-2021 11:16 AM

More Carbon Sync Issues...Must Get Solved...

So today I did two acoustic guitar tracks. Both were sent directly to the main mix out.

When I played back the first track (against a reference track), it was fine. Then I noticed I still had the DSP button engaged, so I turned it off. Now the first track was out of sync. In the edit window you could see the part came in exactly where it should have, on Bar Two, but I was HEARING the audio a good half second early.

What? This has happened before as mentioned in my previous threads on this. We sent a session to engineering at AVID and they came back with a reply about me routing things wrong, which turned out NOT to be true, as later that session worked fine after rebooting Carbon and the Mac.

After doing that today, the first acoustic guitar track played back fine.

Now I went to record a second guitar track, played back, and all was fine...UNTIL...I disengaged the DSP button. Once again, now the SECOND track is playing early.

Again, both guitars are assigned out the main mix outs, no plug ins on the master or the individual tracks.

I have lost more time dealing with this over the months that I don't know whether have a funky Carbon unit or what.

Where do I go from here? Am I misunderstanding something? Once in DSP mode, does the button have to stay engaged even on playback? If I turn it back on, playback is fine. But the first track has DSP button OFF and after restarting plays fine, so it can't be that.

Right now the only way to hear guitar 2 in sync is to keep the DSP button in on playback.

Thx
Tom

dominicperry 11-02-2021 12:13 PM

Re: More Carbon Sync Issues...Must Get Solved...

Just a random thought - do you have something funky switched on like Low Latency Monitoring ? I think that’s an HDX only setting but could be upsetting things….

It should play back in time regardless of which DSP buttons are pressed. That much is certain.

tomhartman 11-02-2021 06:30 PM

No low latency monitoring menu item any more in Ultimate....it's a major bug, because when the problem happens, a restart usually cures it. This is costing me a ton of time.

XJENSEN 11-03-2021 06:28 AM

Definitely another ADC bug!

Kyle Splittgerber 11-03-2021 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomhartman (Post 2618095)
So today I did two acoustic guitar tracks. Both were sent directly to the main mix out.

When I played back the first track (against a reference track), it was fine. Then I noticed I still had the DSP button engaged, so I turned it off. Now the first track was out of sync. In the edit window you could see the part came in exactly where it should have, on Bar Two, but I was HEARING the audio a good half second early.

What? This has happened before as mentioned in my previous threads on this. We sent a session to engineering at AVID and they came back with a reply about me routing things wrong, which turned out NOT to be true, as later that session worked fine after rebooting Carbon and the Mac.

After doing that today, the first acoustic guitar track played back fine.

Now I went to record a second guitar track, played back, and all was fine...UNTIL...I disengaged the DSP button. Once again, now the SECOND track is playing early.

Again, both guitars are assigned out the main mix outs, no plug ins on the master or the individual tracks.

I have lost more time dealing with this over the months that I don't know whether have a funky Carbon unit or what.

Where do I go from here? Am I misunderstanding something? Once in DSP mode, does the button have to stay engaged even on playback? If I turn it back on, playback is fine. But the first track has DSP button OFF and after restarting plays fine, so it can't be that.

Right now the only way to hear guitar 2 in sync is to keep the DSP button in on playback.

Thx
Tom

Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear this is still causing issues. I will send you a private message to request a few things from you. Thanks.

Matt Hepworth 12-08-2021 07:52 AM

This seems similar to what I'm experiencing. Did you get resolution?

tomhartman 12-08-2021 07:58 AM

No I finally sold the unit and moved on...was spending more and more time in Cubase anyway...

JFreak 12-08-2021 09:43 AM

2021.12 just out, I hear it fixes Carbon issues. Please update.

dominicperry 12-08-2021 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2621801)
2021.12 just out, I hear it fixes Carbon issues. Please update.

Only one Carbon issue mentioned in the release notes, but will try..

darkwavo 12-08-2021 11:45 PM

I’ve had the same problem often when I’m recording / over-dubbing a track…all is good when monitoring input ( DSP engaged and record enabled )… but when I disengage both the track- occasionally the plays back wildly out of sync.

My primitive response is to click/unclick the DSP and record enabled buttons a few times and it all starts playing back properly.
A little annoying but only happens from time to time…
And always corrects itself with a little fiddling…