Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   new assistant's first BIG mistake (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=134800)

urumita 04-19-2005 05:29 PM

new assistant\'s first BIG mistake

Instead of highlighting "select unused" he accidentally Highlighted "Selected All" and proceeded to delete a whole song.
There was no recording done on the disc after this mistake.
I know the files are still there, and if found can be relinked by their unique IDs. As I've never dealt with this before. What is the best procedure? Can I do it without a program like disc warrior?
Even if I have disc Warrior, how would I go about recovering the files by 6:00PM tomorrow?
The disc is a SanMP volume and I'm leaving run until I get this song back.
Would there be any particular problems any one knows about using a recovery program on a SanMP volume?
I guess I'll be backing up the rest of this disc!
Thanks in advance

Dutchmuzik 04-19-2005 05:42 PM

Re: new assistant\'s first BIG mistake

Do you have the "autosave" feature enabled, if so you can go into the recovered session folder and open the 1 before the deleted regions mistake.

urumita 04-19-2005 05:48 PM

I tried that but the regions were deleted from the disk and the workspace browser launches the task window to relink but they're not there.
thanks

Chief Technician 04-19-2005 06:20 PM

I think you have lost your song with no hope for recovery. All DiskWarrior is going to do is check your disk's directory. It is not going to recover your files. You could try TechTool Pro. There is also some utility that I've seen mentioned on occasion, but I do not remember its name. Search for recovery utilities at versiontracker.com and it may show up. I wish I remembered more, but there was some program that was great at recovering things, and that was all it did.

The way Pro Tools writes data to a disk made it impossible in OS 9 to do a recovery when the files were deleted from within Pro Tools. This is why I don't think you'll be sucessful in your efforts.

If you are though, please tell us what program you used!

McMasters 04-19-2005 06:34 PM

I Have used Norton's Unerase to recover files that have deleted via the trashcan.

What the App did was search a selected drive to find files that have been marked as overwritable. Then it gave the probabillity of recovery.

As long as you didn't write any more information to the drive you want to recover from. I think Unerase can get them back. If you kept working fon that drive (writing more data to it) you might have overwitten the files.

Now the files I recovered were not deleted from within a program (i.e. Protools) Mine were deleted from the Mac OS. I am not sure if it makes a difference.

Good luck

uno1234 04-19-2005 06:38 PM

That is a mistake that never should be made. Fire that guy. Your song is gone.

TXDigi 04-19-2005 06:53 PM

Norton unerase will work

ive done this a few times before. Make sure to recover to another disk drive. Use one of the advance search options. It will take quite a long time to scan and you should see a folder in the found files list named what your song is. Recover that folder and all files shoudl come with it.

It can work

Produce_Dept 04-19-2005 08:40 PM

Quote:

That is a mistake that never should be made. Fire that guy. Your song is gone.

Thats helpful -

Rail Jon Rogut 04-19-2005 10:19 PM

If you ran Pro Tools with the drive mounted.. the DDB files could also have written over your files. If you want to have a chance to recover the files.. I hope you immediately unmounted the drive and haven't mounted it again until you're ready to try a recovery utlity.

Rail

urumita 04-20-2005 02:28 AM

thanks for the replies
I've been training this kid for a while and this is the first project in which he is operating ProTools on his own, he was mortified, I didn't even yell at him, he will never do it again.
If the song is gone or not, that's another matter, it's not my song, it's a clients song. Worse.
Gotta run to find a program
ironically I was looking at the Granite Digital site for 8 channel SATA RAID cards at the moment it happened.