Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Word2001 Mac conflicts, Conflict Catcher, Windows emulators (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=38602)

dave23 02-16-2001 07:14 AM

Word2001 Mac conflicts, Conflict Catcher, Windows emulators

Hello,

Three questions for the more Mac and software experienced:

1. I'm a writer and I can't afford another computer right now even though I know a music Mac should ideally only be running music apps. I need to get MS Word 2001 Mac and I need to know if it has any known history of conflicting with music apps or other 3rd party apps on the same machine. Appleworks 6 was a nightmare until I removed it and I'm hoping Word is more stable. Anyone have Word/Office 2001 Mac on the same Mac as Digi001/PT LE and other music apps? What's the word in terms of conflicts and stability?

2. I've asked about Conflict Catcher in the past and I've gotten some good info and links but I still need a basic functional question about it answered by anyone who has used it to try and solve the kinds of conflict crashes I have. Will Conflict Catcher let me manage conflicting extensions in a way that makes my Mac stable and able to have almost any program in conjunction with things like music apps?

3. This might be the wrong place to ask, but maybe not. Does anyone know if any or all of the major Windows emulators for the Mac will also run PC programming suites like Visual Basic Studio (V Basic, V C++, V FoxPro, V InterDev, V J++)?

thanks,

dave23

shaggy 02-16-2001 03:20 PM

Re: Word2001 Mac conflicts, Conflict Catcher, Windows emulators

Dave,

I've installed 2001 sans IE & Entourage on a 604e and OS 8.6 working fine.

Ditto on the 9.04 Wallstreet w/ Entourage (but kept IE 5.0) However the new G-3 Powerbook running 9.04 & IE 5.5 & Entourage has been acting up.

My suggestion is to stay clear of IE. Netscape 4.7 works fine with PTs. Turn MS Internet Set off in extension set. Keep Open Transport active & remote access (if dial up) OMS and Digi init, etc.

You'll be fine. When you save Mac 2001 word files, you have a choice of Word 97-98. On a DOS floppy this translates seamlessly to a Windows machine. Edit changes back and forth.

Check with Connectix. At the MacWorld show...they claim anything that runs on Windows. Period.

We are using Virtual Play Station on the same set as PTs 5.01...no extra extensions needed. Everything dandy on Pro Skater 2

AppleWorks 6 needed an update to function under 9.04. But was weird eh? 5.04 much better IMO. Checked out Windows version yet? Still not available for W2K. Apple has delayed its release again.

Conflict catcher? TTP-3 has similar feature + defrag utility.

But that sounds familiar. Am I repeating myself.

`oooO`

Slim Shady 02-16-2001 04:41 PM

I use my 2 year old G3/350 for both PTLE as well as my webdesign/graphics/office machine. I just keep seperate extension sets.

Set 1: Start with standard mac OS install (with a few tweaks) + all the crapola that gets installed by office/IE/printers/whathaveyou to run like a regular ol' mac.

Set 2: start with OS9.x (or 8.x) base set as recommended by Digi then start installing music software to get a lean mean music machine.

Bingo, all set.

------------------
Slim

guitates 02-17-2001 11:11 AM

My $.02...I can not imagine existing in the Mac world without Conflict Catcher...

You can organize your startups with the press of 1 key---
1 for protools
2 for 2001
3 for????
or--hold down the space bar and CC apears before startup so you can select which Group you want to start-up with.

CC will re-build the desk top for you on selected drives...

Turn on only the extensions you need for each situation you need at the time.

Also, CC has this "can't live without" feature that saves you hours of work when upgrading or re-loading the OS, called System Merge. It takes all of your files and merges them with the new OS in minutes not hours of transfering manually.

All this said there is also a program to hunt down an actual conflict that is causing freezes or crashes--(I do not work for CC)

shaggy 02-18-2001 12:09 AM

Ditto on the extension set. I am on "Mininal Pro Tools Set" at the moment.

Remote access ...the only luxury item

BTW- space bar works exactly the same with Apple's Extension Mgr.

newdawg 03-02-2001 01:15 PM

Dave, I'm using full Office 2001 with Entourage along with PT 5.0.1 and Peak 2.1. No problems. I would follow the advice to set up a minimal extention set while using music apps. to minimize any other routines while recording. Things like MS Open View and Office
Mgr. should not be active then. This stuff actually does coexist but you need to keep them separated. Also, if you get into a jam, you can download a demo of Conflict Catcher. I haven't had conflicts but I have deactivated stuff like AirPort and most other OS apps. and extentions that are never used on my machine.

flytrap 03-02-2001 02:33 PM

I tried having different extension sets for everything but it was too much of a pain in the butt. I leave my mac on 24/7 so I would have to restart all the time. Now I just keep everything up and running with minimal problems. Office 2001 works great along with Pro Tools, Photoshop, Final cut Pro, Illustrator, blah, blah, blah....
B&W G3 400/256
Oh yeah, and os 9.1

[This message has been edited by flytrap (edited March 02, 2001).]

shaggy 03-02-2001 07:14 PM

What doesn't work:

Adobe Type Manager 4.2