Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   SSL UC1 plugin controller (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415940)

JGM 10-07-2021 04:57 PM

Re: SSL UC1 plugin controller

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2615536)
I'm certain it works. I think it's more work for Avid to take the code out of Pro Tools than to leave it in, and there would have to be a specific reason to do it. MIDI LIVES! :D
At least until MIDI 2.0, the Command|8 will work. With PT as it does w/other DAWs. Because it speaks MIDI.

Ah ok.
Good to know.
Thanks

JorgeGutierrezMix 01-05-2022 03:20 PM

Ben, Hello. Did you try to use pro tools midi learn in conjunction with UC1? Im curious if I can assign the uc1 to another channel strips like PA ones. I was able to do that on my command 8 to make muscle memory but im interest on getting a UC1.Thanks

Ben Jenssen 01-06-2022 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeGutierrezMix (Post 2624610)
Ben, Hello. Did you try to use pro tools midi learn in conjunction with UC1? Im curious if I can assign the uc1 to another channel strips like PA ones. I was able to do that on my command 8 to make muscle memory but im interest on getting a UC1.Thanks

I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty shure it won't work, simply because, in my experience most plugins don't have the midi learn function. Most virtual instrument plugins do, but most others don't. All my plugins show up on my command8, but that's pre-programmed into the plugin, and can't be edited as far as I know.

It's been speculated that SSL might colaborate with other channelstrip manufacturers to make UC1 work with them, but personally I think it will never happen.

albee1952 01-06-2022 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2624657)
I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty shure it won't work, simply because, in my experience most plugins don't have the midi learn function. Most virtual instrument plugins do, but most others don't. All my plugins show up on my command8, but that's pre-programmed into the plugin, and can't be edited as far as I know.

It's been speculated that SSL might colaborate with other channelstrip manufacturers to make UC1 work with them, but personally I think it will never happen.

My thoughts exactly and the easy way to check is to open any plugin you are curious about and right-click on any control to see if Midi Learn is an option:o One possible solution here would be to use a Presonus Faderport V2 with neyrinck's V-Control Pro as it has a great feature for the knob(or fader) controlling any knob you hover your mouse over(but I have no idea if there will be any conflict between HUI devices).

Ben Jenssen 01-07-2022 04:18 AM

Of course,, it would have been fantastic if we could use the UC1 on any channelstrip plugin, but then, there would always be parameters that would not fit the layout on UC1 so it'd never be perfect.

I've settled with using SSL as the prime channelstrip on all "source" tracks (Audio and VI's), and bus compressor on most aux'es. I don't use channelstrip on aux'es because it's a little inconvenient with the solo function on ssl/360 and solo-safe'ing. All "source" tracks have on inserts:
A: VU meter with trim/phase/filters++. -18dbfs calibration.
B: Reserved for "flavour" plug, like 'preamp' plugs, tape emu's - trying out Kazrog True Iron now, very nice.
C: SSL Native Channelstrip.
Anything else goes on D-J.
Works very nicely.

albee1952 01-08-2022 08:20 AM

FWIW, I got a reply back from neyrinck saying that there should be no conflict with having multiple HUI devices, so using a faderport 2 for plugin control gets a little more attractive:o

resonatee 09-05-2022 09:30 AM

Did you try Mulligan along with Command8 and your UC1? https://www.refusesoftware.com/mulligan

Ben Jenssen 09-05-2022 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by resonatee (Post 2646186)
Did you try Mulligan along with Command8 and your UC1? https://www.refusesoftware.com/mulligan

No. I can access all my plugin parameters from my Artist Mix (replaced C8). And it shows me the parameter name on the controller so I don't have to look at the screen - much the purpose of this kind of thing in the first place.

albee1952 09-08-2022 04:07 PM

The rocksolid Micro 4k(rocksolidaudio.co.uk)
Looks very interesting and appears to be mappable to any plugin from any maker:D

Ben Jenssen 09-08-2022 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2646533)
The rocksolid Micro 4k(rocksolidaudio.co.uk)
Looks very interesting and appears to be mappable to any plugin from any maker:D

Seems nice. Small and inexpensive. Rocksolid page info is pretty thin. Coming in november. Also, I can't see from the pictures if it has any visual feedback on controls, like LEDs.

And anyway, I guess you could program a controller to control "any plugin", but when it looks like a 4k channelstrip, it's hard to see the practical use for it on anything but channelstrip plugins.

I'm happy with UC1 and SSL Native plugins. I don't want to spend my time customizing controls to plugin parameters. UC1 - plug it in - works.