Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Clip Gain Display in Regions in 2018.4? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=399190)

MIXER500 05-14-2018 09:05 AM

Clip Gain Display in Regions in 2018.4?

Currently working on a project that requires a lot of level management via clip gain. I've noticed that the clip gain level display in the regions sometimes disappears. It seems like it's related to editing the regions. For example, I make an edit in a region and adjust the clip gain of the now latter region. If I decide I don't want to keep that edit there and I heal the separation, the edit will disappear and bring the clip gain display with it. I can see the fader in the region but the level display is gone. As I'm trying to balance room tone with these regions, losing the gain display is extremely disruptive. Any ideas?

On Ultimate 2018.4/Mac Pro (Late 2013)/2.7 GHz 12-core Xeon E5/64 GB RAM

Running MacOS Sierra (10.12).

home_studio 05-14-2018 09:21 AM

Re: Clip Gain Display in Regions in 2018.4?

If you 'heal separation' two clips with different clip gain it can't tell you the clip gain for the healed clip. It makes sense to me.
Any ides? Don't heal clips with different clip gain.

MIXER500 05-14-2018 09:52 AM

How fantastic that it makes sense to you. I have a great idea: maybe if you have nothing constructive to add, don't post?

Wizzoboy 05-14-2018 10:51 AM

Unable to check at the moment, but have you looked at the "volume" automation lane to see if there is a step change where your edit used to be? Just a thought.

BScout 05-14-2018 12:00 PM

It's what Wizzoboy wrote.

If you adjust clip gain on one section of an edit and then heal, the fader loses any numerical meaning because now the clip gain line shows the clip change. Show the clip gain line and you'll see a step for the change.
You can also tell if this has happened (or if you put breakpoints on the clipgain line) because the fader will now show a delta change (triangle) when adjusting the clip fader since it is doing a relative change for the whole clip gain line.

Only way to get the numerical value back is to reset the clip gain (which wipes all clip gain line changes) and then readjust.

It's operating as it is intended.

home_studio 05-15-2018 01:54 AM

I wasn't meaning to be rude.
It makes sense since the clip gain cannot show 2 values of one clip.
Telling you that this is how it works in pro tools (whether you like it or not) and why it behaves like that, is constructive enough.

wwittman 05-15-2018 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by home_studio (Post 2488300)

but he was
clearly

Hellena 09-19-2021 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by home_studio (Post 2488300)
It makes sense since the clip gain cannot show 2 values of one clip.
Telling you that this is how it works in pro tools (whether you like it or not) and why it behaves like that, is constructive enough.

Your answer helped me, thank you very much. For the record, I didn't think you were rude at all.

albee1952 09-19-2021 01:56 PM

You can convert Clip Gain to automation, then consolidate the audio:o Doing this will remove the Clip Gain changes from the Clips(so healing will restore the audio back to what it originally was). You can also go the other way and convert volume automation to Clip Gain. I also would simply not heal the separation(unless you have some good reason why you need to):o

Sardi 09-19-2021 04:31 PM

Clip Gain Display in Regions in 2018.4?

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2614069)
You can convert Clip Gain to automation, then consolidate the audio:o Doing this will remove the Clip Gain changes from the Clips(so healing will restore the audio back to what it originally was). You can also go the other way and convert volume automation to Clip Gain. I also would simply not heal the separation(unless you have some good reason why you need to):o

Just an FYI - that’s a PT Ultimate feature. You can’t do that in the standard version.

I know the OP mentions PT Ultimate, but seeing this a 2yo thread that’s been bumped, might be good to point that out for anyone else that sees it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk