Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   I have 50 stereo tracks and 10 5.1 tracks, can I record them? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=324745)

Rockman413 06-29-2012 07:12 AM

I have 50 stereo tracks and 10 5.1 tracks, can I record them?

I have 50 stereo tracks and 10 5.1 tracks, can I record them at the same using QuickPunch function?

When using pt9 with complete production toolkit it says quichpunch is not available as the voices is not enough.

So how many voices is HD Native? The same as HDX?

And I read:

Maximum simultaneous audio tracks @ 48/96/192 kHz)
256/128/641

so 256 mono or stereo or 5.1 tracks? audio or midi?

Audio recording (maximum simultaneous tracks) 256

Audio recording 256 mono or stereo tracks or 5.1 tracks or any tracks will do?

And will I get the "I" (monitoring at the trackhead along with ARM) when using HD NATIVE?

Thanks a lot!

nst7 06-29-2012 10:34 AM

Re: I have 50 stereo tracks and 10 5.1 tracks, can I record them?

HD Native voices are exactly the same as 1 HDX card. The 256 is mono tracks, and you can calculate from there for stereo or 5.1 tracks.

And yes, you get input monitoring, the "I" button. This is now available even in the Complete Toolkit with PT10.

Rockman413 06-29-2012 07:33 PM

Thanks.

See if I'm using 10 5.1 tracks, and 50 stereo tracks=160 mono channels.

1.Will I get to use quickpunch with HD Native?

2.How does PT count for voice? Would the internal Buses/Auxes/Midi track count for a voice?

3. If I normally use 160 mono channels, do I have to use native card? Or PT 10 with cptl will also support this?

Thanks

nst7 06-29-2012 09:49 PM

The busses/midi tracks are separate from the voice count. Besides the audio tracks, you get 512 midi tracks, 256 aux tracks and 512 busses, with either HD Native or with the Complete Toolkit. Quickpunch is standard even in regular Protools.

As for the voices/audio tracks, just like the example you gave, you can figure out how many of each track you can get. Think of a 5.1 track as using up 6 mono tracks, and a stereo track using up 2 mono tracks. So you can figure it out from there, like you did in your example (which is correct). Of course as you go to higher sample rates, this is reduced accordingly.

Complete Toolkit gives you all of the software features of the HD 10 software. You would just need to decide which system is right for you. The HD Native card with an Avid HD interface offers a little lower latency, and takes some of the load off the computer. In addition, it offers the capability to use the Satellite and Video Satellite products, and Sync HD. If you're doing Post Production you might like having those options down the road.