Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   got 6.0.1 and STILL HUI losing communication (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=29976)

Tim R. 04-03-2003 02:47 PM

got 6.0.1 and STILL HUI losing communication

I was under the impression that the 6.0.1 upgrade would resolve controller issues. But after upgrading this morning, everything worked fine most of the morning until I tried to import tracks from an Avid generated OMF. Protools crashed (just quit without an error) when I tried to import the tracks and the dreaded "Protools is unable to communicate with HUI etc." warning has now returned. I went and tried the same OMF again and all worked fine on the import, but now I can't get the HUI to comunicate reliably. This is the main reason I'm not using PT6 exclusively now. Upon restarting the computer, I had to reset my Keyspan in the preripherals menu for machine control, but the HUI is working OK for now (for 3 minutes now).

My setup:
G4 dual 1.25 Ghz
1.5 gig ram
Mix/24 (Mix farm,D24, 2 vintage farm cards)
OS 10.2.3
Emagic MT4 midi I/O
Keyspan Dual serial adaptor (for machine control)

Tim

Tim R. 04-04-2003 04:39 AM

Re: got 6.0.1 and STILL HUI losing communication

Let me add that this same setup works flawlessly in OS9/PT's 5.1.3. So I don't think its a hardware thing.

Tim

Tim R. 04-05-2003 05:43 AM

Just got word from a coworker that DIDN't have the HUI communication errror previouse to upgrading to 6.0.1. NOW it has appeared on his system!

Anyone else still having HUI problems in 6.0.1?

Tim

Tim R. 04-07-2003 07:35 AM

Bump for Monday tech support.

Tim

Tim R. 04-11-2003 07:56 AM

HELLO DIGI!!! Can someone at DIGI respond here. Tell me that we are the only 2 people out there having this issue with 6 AND 6.0.1. I had it happen again yesterday. After a spontaneous crash while importing tracks from an OMF (no error, PT's just quits). When I open PT's again I get the "Protools is unable to communicate with HUI etc." warning and it won't stop popping up til I reboot the computer (I also plug and unplug USB to MT4 for good measure). Could this somehow be related to Digitranslator since it seems to only appear after a crash while importing OMFs (so far anyway)?

Any response from DIGI would be appreciated.

Further tests show I can get communication back by quiting PT's and unplug/plug the USB into the MT4 (for now anyway).

Tim

DigiTechSupt 04-11-2003 08:59 AM

Morning Tim
You should check the following
1) In AMS you have a device that you create called HUI, enable send and recieve MIDI channel 1
2) In Pro Tools, peripherals, MIDI controllers, enable HUI send to HUI and recieve from HUI.
3) Under MIDI menu, input device enable your MIDI interface and HUI.
4) Make sure MIDI thru is enabled.

That should work all day long.
What MIDI interface do you have?

MJ
Digidesign Tech Support

Tim R. 04-11-2003 09:56 AM

MJ,

Everything works fine, MOST OF THE TIME. All is configured correctly. All works great until (at this point) I crash when importing an OMF. Which doesn't happen often, and if I go back and re-import the same OMF all works fine too.

My first post has my system config. (it's an MT4)

Tim

Quote:

Originally posted by DigiTechSupt:
Morning Tim
You should check the following
1) In AMS you have a device that you create called HUI, enable send and recieve MIDI channel 1
2) In Pro Tools, peripherals, MIDI controllers, enable HUI send to HUI and recieve from HUI.
3) Under MIDI menu, input device enable your MIDI interface and HUI.
4) Make sure MIDI thru is enabled.

That should work all day long.
What MIDI interface do you have?

MJ
Digidesign Tech Support

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

DigiTechSupt 04-11-2003 01:23 PM

Hi Tim
Well, this is strange...
Try taking HUI Off-line doing the OMF import
then re-enable the HUI.
Is HUI back to normal?
This may be a MIDI timeout problem. How large is the OMF? How long does it take to open the OMF?
I will try to recreate the issue you are seeing.
Please forward the info about your OMF ASAP.
Thanks

MJ
Digidesign Tech Support

Tim R. 04-11-2003 02:14 PM

I've made some headway on the OMF crash thing. Here's what I've found so far. I can crash EVERY TIME when I use a "stationary pad" Pt's session to start out. Here's what I do: Create a template session (I did a new one for this test with no tracks in it). Then I close PT's make that session a "stationary Pad" re-open THAT stationary pad session, select "New Session". Then import ANY OMF into that and PT's quits. I won't be back to trouble shoot again til Monday, but let you know if I find more out.

Tim

Quote:

Originally posted by DigiTechSupt:
Hi Tim
Well, this is strange...
Try taking HUI Off-line doing the OMF import
then re-enable the HUI.
Is HUI back to normal?
This may be a MIDI timeout problem. How large is the OMF? How long does it take to open the OMF?
I will try to recreate the issue you are seeing.
Please forward the info about your OMF ASAP.
Thanks

MJ
Digidesign Tech Support

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

sinpik 04-13-2003 10:42 AM

I have a similar problem, I am running OS10 & OS9 with a midi IO and everything was working great (midi), until I updated my Firmware on my midi IO as suggested. Now, my baby Hui will not stay on line. OMS will see it, but protools will not see it. I was thinking it had something to do with the firmware update but since reading these other letters of people who are not using the protools midi IO, I am so lost.
HELP! [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]